StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > Basic Training

Notices and Announcements

Basic Training This area is for forum announcements, testing, technical requests, or site feedback.

Old 15 Jul 17, 21:29
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
^ So is that how I'd shrink the image in post #5 of this thread?
Russian "space monkleys" make "America Great" in Outer Space, etc.at

My "edit" window may be closing/closed by now.

Tried earlier with the "grab-n-drag" but that didn't seem to work/hold.

Old 19 Jul 17, 22:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Testing.
Logging in on a attachment is an endless loop.
Thumbnails with a few rare exceptions are gone
Most of what has been uploaded to ACG is no longer here. However, a copy WILL be found in the NSA Cloud.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”
Old 27 Jul 17, 19:11
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Several issues:

If you were using photobucket, your pics are gone unless you start paying them.

If you use Dropbox free version, the image only displays if you are online and logged in to Dropbox.

And of course, our forum software is showing it's age. The upgrade schedule has slipped again because of higher priority work for the owners. More info as I get it.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 28 Jul 17, 07:59
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoyote View Post
Several issues:

If you were using photobucket, your pics are gone unless you start paying them.

If you use Dropbox free version, the image only displays if you are online and logged in to Dropbox.
Which is why I link to IMGUR

They used to charge a small fee for wanting to have more then a certain number of photos stored there. That fee was waved thanks to advertising and other support. You can now store an unlimited amount of photos and albums there that can be made public, or kept as restricted viewing.

They can be viewed here by a direct link pasted in the text box.

It is suggested that you check the large or huge thumbnail option to avoid having images needing to have a spoiler tag wrapped around them.

Huge thumbnail example below.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”
Old 18 Oct 17, 07:22
Banned
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Question-
I've been posting my image links via Photobucket in assorted forums for 15 years, but an AG mod recently told me my 1200-pixel-wide pics were too big for his monitor and some other members monitors, and that I must use the "spoiler" option to post them.
It means a "spoiler" button appears in my posts instead of the pic, and members must click the button to display the pic.
I'm fine with that if members small cheapskate () monitors can't handle super-duper large size pics, but as a matter of interest what's the biggest size that pics can be before I have to use the spoiler option at AG, for example 1100 pixels wide, or 1000, 900, 800, etc?

PS: My big 1200-size war pics display fine in some other forums such as at Mission4Today where they've had 7 million views so far and have had rave reviews, and nobody has ever complained that they're too big or told me to use a spoiler button..

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 18 Oct 17 at 07:28..
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Oct 17, 11:53
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I too use Photobucket.
Not too sure what the actual limit is but I seem to recall, for example, posting on occasion 1024x768 and I think it was OK.
The most common size I post here is 800x600.
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)
Old 19 Oct 17, 06:27
Banned
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
I too use Photobucket.
Not too sure what the actual limit is but I seem to recall, for example, posting on occasion 1024x768 and I think it was OK.
The most common size I post here is 800x600.
Thanks, for the record my standard preferred size at Mission4Today is 1200 pixels wide, because 1200 makes the pics leap out of the screen and sock us in the eye like smaller pics can't do.
For example here's a 1200 pic of a Sherman and M10 in Aachen, it fits into my 27" monitor like a glove, but people can also shrink/expand it to suit their own monitor size by holding the Ctrl key while rolling their mouse wheel, and using the slider bars to centralise it.

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 19 Oct 17 at 07:10..
Old 19 Oct 17, 06:35
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Outstanding!
Looks as if 1200 might be OK?
(You'll know it's not if someone asks you to bung a spoiler over it! )
I have a very decent monitor (If I remember correctly, 2560x1440) so that takes up a bit less than half my screen width.
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)
Old 19 Oct 17, 07:05
Banned
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
Outstanding!
Looks as if 1200 might be OK?
(You'll know it's not if someone asks you to bung a spoiler over it! )
I have a very decent monitor (If I remember correctly, 2560x1440) so that takes up a bit less than half my screen width.
I can't remember which mod it was who told me 1200 is too big and that I should use a Spoiler button, maybe only a small minority of AG members were complaining to him, I don't know.
So I'm in the dark as to whether the majority of members would prefer me to post 1200's without a Spoiler button, what do you think I should do?
Here's another 1200 test pic-

Matilda tank and Australians coming ashore, Brunei June 1945
Old 19 Oct 17, 08:38
Australia

I think the best way to go with this, is to put the question among the other mods and see if we can arrive at a decision that can be consistently applied.
That way at least, we all know where we stand.
Regards,
Paul
Old 07 Nov 17, 13:08
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
I can't remember which mod it was who told me 1200 is too big and that I should use a Spoiler button, maybe only a small minority of AG members were complaining to him, I don't know.
So I'm in the dark as to whether the majority of members would prefer me to post 1200's without a Spoiler button, what do you think I should do?
Here's another 1200 test pic-

Matilda tank and Australians coming ashore, Brunei June 1945
This size seems fine to me, Spike. The problems begin when they start getting bigger than this IMHO

Old 09 Nov 17, 02:04
Banned
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoblin View Post
This size seems fine to me, Spike. The problems begin when they start getting bigger than this IMHO
Ok I'll stick with 1200 pixels wide unless AG members start bombarding me with complaints, you can't beat big military pics for blowing our socks off and giving a sense of actually being there..
Of course, not all pics look good at 1200 if they're grainy, in which case I drop down to a smaller size.
1200 is my usual standard width over at the Mission4Today forum where I've been posting pics for years, my photogalleries there have had 7 million views so far and I haven't had a single complaint..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!