StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 19 Feb 15, 23:20
Brigadier General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
A further check on the Kill report shows that no Soviet unit claims an artillery kill. Could the NATO mortar unit have somehow inflicted losses upon itself?
When the NATO off-map mortar on CB mission calculated the attack on the off-map Soviet artillery, could it be assuming a range of 0m and thus hitting itself inside its own fire mission? Ranges seem to play absolutely no factor when a unit is located off-map.

Also, the off-map CB is very deadly. It seems as though there is no way off-map arty units can ever escape, nor do they seem to get any protective terrain benefits. They are seemingly caught every time they fire.

I think that the off-map implementation of CB has not been planned carefully and is currently terrible.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 20 Feb 15, 00:30
Lieutenant General
United_States

Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
FPC uses both NATO icons as well as stylized images, but it isn't too difficult to distinguish between a Bradley and an M-1 Abrams.
I have no problems with unit type icons on the map. I mean user interfaces that replace menus with textual name with randomly picked icons.

For example, TacOps is my favorite game but the similar Pat Proctor games are essentially unplayable for me since they just have -what- 30 icons on top.

Should have the ability to switch.
Old 20 Feb 15, 00:36
Brigadier General
Canada

I think you'll be okay, then. Nothing but text in the pull-down windows and displays. Of course, there are a few abbreviations.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FPC.jpg (101.0 KB, 93 views)

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 20 Feb 15, 01:22
Private
United_States

Cap'n Darwin is on the path to success [1-99]
A couple quick updates.
1. VP totals and results appears to be working as intended. I will verify with Rob this weekend when we chat again, but some quick calculations seem to verify the numbers and results.

2. We are aware that off map CB effects are on the high side right now. That's why we are testing this build so I can turn down the gain based on our additional testing an inputs from the players. As per the What's New, any off-map unit you have that fires a mission can be subjected to the enemies off map CB retaliation. This is done with abstracted assets out of player control (for 2.0x at least). You gain VPs for killed off map tubes but I'm pretty sure no tally is made in the kills and claims area (also to be improved in 2.1).

Last edited by Cap'n Darwin; 20 Feb 15 at 01:28..
Old 20 Feb 15, 22:23
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Darwin View Post
1. VP totals and results appears to be working as intended. I will verify with Rob this weekend when we chat again, but some quick calculations seem to verify the numbers and results.
Quote:
Another Incorrect VP Eval v209B

If Piper8 is ended, the game will evaluate more favourably for the Soviet player. However, if the game is run to duration (Piper9), the NATO units are weaker and further away, but the VP evaluation is more favourable to NATO. This is illogical and inconsistent.
The simple arithmetic process is correct but the method behind the VP determination (values) is wrong.

If the game is ended prematurely at 1347H, the Victory Location Ownership Determination window reports that control of Hex 0918 worth 1000VP will pass to NATO.

The map confirms this with a Blue VP symbol at Hex 0918 as well as the Staff Summary report showing NATO 6500VP to Soviet 0VP.

Now, if the game is allowed to run the additional 13 minutes to full duration, the final VP calculation at 1400H is shown as:

The situation is slightly different at 1400H due to:

1) The enemy unit has lost a tank
2) The enemy unit has retreated FURTHER away from Hex 0918 (VP 1000)

However, the Staff Summary report shows that the enemy was somehow given 1000 VP credit for Hex 0918 even though the units are weaker and more distant than if the game had ended 13 minutes earlier at 1347H.

The addition is correct. The method of determining the numeric inputs appears to be flawed, illogical, and inconsistent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pied8 End at 1347H.jpg (173.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: gif Pied8 VP Eval - Hex 0918.gif (97.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Pied9 End at 1400H.jpg (186.5 KB, 92 views)

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 20 Feb 15, 23:57
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Quote:
VP calc mis-match v208

If the game is ended manually, it shows a different VP calculation than if it is ended upon scenario expiration.
Quote:
The description is inaccurate. If the game is ended, hex 2702 supposedly changes control to NATO. However, the map shows the VP location as Green (contested).

Quote:
I see the problem now. For whatever reason now, when the game goes to the time limit if is not processing the "sudden death" VP check and scoring. When I invoke it in our debug mode it is working right. Should be a simple fix to get it working as intended (again). Thanks for pics and details. really helps when I'm tired to see the whole picture.
This problem is different from the previous VP mis-match problem because it does not involve running a scenario to duration and does not appear to be explained by the previous observation.

When 1674 Dawn v Willem USSR 1616H.sav is voluntarily Ended, the Victory Location Ownership Determination window reports that Hex 2702 is supposedly passes to NATO control.

However, Hex 2702 does not appear in the NATO list of VP locations.

Instead, it is listed as a Contested (Green) location and also appears on the map as Green.

Once again, the mathematical sums are correct. However, the 500 VP for Hex should have been added to the NATO side, according to the Victory Location Ownership Determination window.

This is a mis-match between what the Victory Location Ownership Determination window reports and what the map actually shows.
Attached Images
File Type: gif BabenHausen.gif (98.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: gif VP USSR Ended.gif (6.5 KB, 91 views)

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 21 Feb 15, 00:57
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
When the NATO off-map mortar on CB mission calculated the attack on the off-map Soviet artillery, could it be assuming a range of 0m and thus hitting itself inside its own fire mission? Ranges seem to play absolutely no factor when a unit is located off-map.

Also, the off-map CB is very deadly. It seems as though there is no way off-map arty units can ever escape, nor do they seem to get any protective terrain benefits. They are seemingly caught every time they fire.

I think that the off-map implementation of CB has not been planned carefully and is currently terrible.
Quote:
2. We are aware that off map CB effects are on the high side right now. That's why we are testing this build so I can turn down the gain based on our additional testing an inputs from the players. As per the What's New, any off-map unit you have that fires a mission can be subjected to the enemies off map CB retaliation. This is done with abstracted assets out of player control (for 2.0x at least). You gain VPs for killed off map tubes but I'm pretty sure no tally is made in the kills and claims area (also to be improved in 2.1).
This does not explain the off-map losses sustained by the AI C-B units. The player had no unit set for CB mission, yet the AI sustained some losses to its off-map C-B units. How did this occur?

Also, the speed of the off-map C-B response verges on the ridiculous. An off-map arty unit fired at 0936H and was immediately hit by AI off-map C-B fire at 0937H.

The on-map AI C-B fire fire seems very quick, too. I thought that my units were simply firing too many missions before trying to displace (scoot). So, I tried ordering my units to fire only single missions to see if they could scoot to safety. I cannot remember the last time an arty unit actually evading C-B fire successfully. It did not matter if the planned scoot move was on favourable terrain such as road-to-road hex or open fields. The Arty could not escape the C-B fire.

At this time, the scoot seems virtually pointless. In fact, it is actually more detrimental to even try to move. When a unit is firing or sitting on screen, it is in Covered Posture. When it tries to move (scoot), it drops into the more hazardous Exposed Posture and is more vulnerable. Since there is no escape possible, the change to Exposed Posture simply places the unit at greater risk for no benefit.

This may be a point of consideration for v2.0, but why only scoot after the unit fires all of its missions? Why not allow the possibility to scoot after each and every fire mission? This is definitely possible, especially if the Command cycle is lengthy (30-40 min).

Another good option would be allow the player to set the scoot distance. The automatic 500m displacement is pretty worthless if the other side has saturation rocketry. All they have to do is aim for the last hex to catch the fleeing arty. It might be nice to allow the commander a variety of scoot options/distances:

0. No scoot - hold position
1. Scoot 500m (1hex)
2. Scoot 1000m (2hex)
3. Mandatory Scoot 500m (1hex)
4. Mandatory Scoot 1000m (2hex)

The ability to scoot 1000m would likely triple the unit's survivability.

Another scoot option could be forced/mandatory scoot. Presently, the unit decides for itself if/when to scoot. Unfortunately, sometimes it fails to scoot when it should. The player is forced to waste time and orders with manual intervention. Allowing a player to demand a mandatory displacement solves this problem.

This could also solve the problem of artillery immediately dropping into re-supply in the last hex from which it fired. A mandatory scoot would move it before the re-supply routine begins.

Also, players must always manually check to see if their units displaced or not because there is no indicator showing if it has occurred. A mandatory scoot eliminates the uncertainty.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 21 Feb 15, 01:54
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
3.1 Yes we created a post to ask folks what they liked about the game. No guns to anyone's head on that. No one was site banned for a not positive post. We basically wanted to know what players liked in the game. Simple research. Works to help us going forward knowing what really worked for people so we can leave it alone going forward.
Pure nonsense. You're getting plenty of feedback on your 'research'. You just choose to ignore it.

Take, for example, all the feedback posted regarding the 30min Command delays for movement orders. It is pretty much the first question out of every new player's mouth either on bulletin boards or via PBEM messages. When even the newliest noob can identify how bad this behaviour is, the game has a problem.

Instead of just fixing the problem, it is simply ignored. If you want (or dare) to follow your 'research', make it a Game Play Option, like Emergency Supply or Unlimited Orders.

Quote:
H - Disable Delay for Movement Orders
Then sit back and watch how many players turn it off on the PBEM++ online server matches. I suspect that few, if any, will actually want to play with the 30min delay enforced.

Personally, I think that most new players have left the game in frustration due primarily to this delay function. I can't even blame them since sitting there immobile and watching the enemy blast you with artillery for nearly 50% of the game is hardly fun.

It is no wonder folks are devoting time and effort to finding ways around this delay impediment, such as keeping units in perpetual motion or fiddling with delayed waypoints so as not to fall victim to the 30min delays.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 21 Feb 15, 03:06
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Not a lot of time invested, but I'm impressed with the game. I'll have more to report later this weekend, but it seems to hold potential.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 21 Feb 15, 06:55
Brigadier General
Canada

I see that an OTS developer has self-deleted a message. One can only wonder why, as there appears to be nothing offensive in the text and it promoted discussion.

Quote:
I see the problem now. For whatever reason now, when the game goes to the time limit if is not processing the "sudden death" VP check and scoring. When I invoke it in our debug mode it is working right. Should be a simple fix to get it working as intended (again). Thanks for pics and details. really helps when I'm tired to see the whole picture.
Attempts at altering, manipulating, or distorting the historical record are generally considered the most unprofessional behaviour imaginable and are generally frowned upon. While this type of gross misconduct is common on sites like MatrixGames and GrogHeads (a.k.a. Son of WarGamer), thankfully, this is ACG.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Sponsored Links

Old 05 Mar 15, 20:17
Brigadier General
Canada

A new video for [FPC] Hell in Hameln has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch [FPC] Hell in Hameln

This video includes discussion of the Double-Orders Phase and Smoke Avoidance bugs.

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel * FAQ * Facebook * HarPlonkHQ

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 22 Mar 15, 05:45
Brigadier General
Canada

A new video for [FPC] Eyes, Ears, and Teeth (MP) has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch [FPC] Eyes, Ears, and Teeth (MP)

This video includes discussion of the VP Evaluation and Double-Orders Phase bugs.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 04 Apr 15, 11:48
Brigadier General
Canada

A new video for [FPC] First Contact has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch [FPC] First Contact

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 07 Apr 15, 07:31
Brigadier General
Canada

A new video for [FPC] Iron Horse has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch [FPC] Iron Horse

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 10 Apr 15, 06:27
Brigadier General
Canada

A new video for [FPC] Company Clash 1 has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch [FPC] Company Clash 1

The S-Mobility bug is discussed.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!