StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Military History on Film

Notices and Announcements

Military History on Film Newsreel and documentary film on the Second World War and other military conflicts. This is also the request and discussion forum for skoblin's website.

Old 04 Apr 17, 12:26
Corporal
United_States

BrianBoru2485 is on the path to success [1-99]
Hey Half Pint, you're really clueless if you think that list of people , a mere handful are capable of representing a voice in La La left land. Selleck, the unknown Baldwin, give me a break! It's the days of Commie Blacklisting of 50's turned 180! A you feed into the bs !!
Old 04 Apr 17, 12:31
Corporal
United_States

BrianBoru2485 is on the path to success [1-99]
Hey gotta celebrate, just made Corporal. Wooie! I 'm not on any agenda about Irish stuff, respect Brits, and love reading how great they are doing today as our most important pal in today's world. Yet I'm not standing back, taking crap from jabs, and have grown respect from some who didn't know me. Be well all.
Old 08 Aug 17, 14:35
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LtCol is on the path to success [1-99] LtCol is on the path to success [1-99]
I taught College Level History for fifteen years. My college had the second highest percent of Native American and Afro-American students enrolled in the state. Classes in though areas were offered every semester and never made. And they only needed ten students enrolled to make.
At the beginning of every semester I asked my students how many hated history in high school and almost always one third to one half raised their hands...I then asked what sport their teacher coached? History at the secondary school level is the most often taught by teachers without a degree in history. AT my university to get a teaching degree in history a student only need to maintain a 2.0 grade point average!!! And had to take only 18 hours of history courses. To get a history degree (non-teaching) a student had to maintain a 3.5 gpa. One problem I see is that college advisors are not aware of the jobs available in history and tries to lead students into the teaching field, ONLY, were you have to coach to make a living.
Old 08 Aug 17, 14:41
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900]
101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900]
Charlton Heston? He's dead, did you just come out of the Ice Age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
100% crock of BS.

Eastwood
Heston
Stallone
Duvall
Selleck
Willis
Bullock
Gibson
Baldwin
King

and, and, and...

All GOP

Do a fact check before posting outrageous comments.

http://www.zimbio.com/Famous+Republicans/articles
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 08 Aug 17, 14:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900]
101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900] 101combatvet has earned the respect of all [900]
Yup, they don't teach history in the true sense, they teach Social Studies. However, it touches on it just not in any detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoru2485 View Post
In American school, they don't teach about the American Revolution, Civil War, WW1/2, Vietnam, Lewis &Clark, the early American settlers, but teach about Selma( a race issue), about the Indian American genocide, all stuff by liberals to pacify kids to grow up instead of pride of Iwo Jima, shame of slavery, when 1.5% of people were slave owners, and most even in south hated slavery, wish it went away! Hate any bigotry most of us immigrants were Irish, dying from the famine, that the Brits were responsible for, but not wish to get into that. A debate I read 30 books on and waiting, but, then was then, and we are pals now. Just feel we are really going downhill, all the movies are fantasy crap comic book crap. Any hero stuff has to be politically correct. Hollywood is 100% liberal biased, so even possible just movies, are bull crap,. Few movies are about people who are about real stories!! How about what happened in Afghanistan w/ guys there? How about real hero stories, how about a movie going back about Ray Davis in WW2 & the Chosin Campaign, impossible that they care. How about the story of the USS Houston I just read, ( Ship of Ghosts- USS Houston, by James D. Hornfischer 940.5425 in the Library of Congess Code, Brian
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 07 Sep 17, 16:18
Major
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
Yup, they don't teach history in the true sense, they teach Social Studies. However, it touches on it just not in any detail.
Yeah I thank God I went to school in the 1950's/60's when kids were taught that everything was a clear-cut black and white issue with no grey areas.
But sadly, later generations are being brainwashed by the lefty establishment that NOTHING is clear-cut, and that we must carefully look at things from every possible angle blah blah, and as a result many kids grow up unsure of themselves.
The good news is that everybody is getting fed up of that lefty claptrap and showed it by voting the great straight-talking Donald Trump into the White House, and here in Britain we voted to cut loose from the wretched lefty EU..
Old 07 Sep 17, 18:01
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
I was talking to the mother of a 10 yo yesterday. She says the kid is fascinated with WWII, so I gave her the appropriate URL.
Old 11 Sep 17, 14:48
Major
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoru2485 View Post
In American school they...teach about the Indian American genocide...
Yes, whenever lefty mushbrains in discussion forums start spouting that rubbish, I soon shut them up by telling them that if they feel sorry for the Indians, they can always stop squatting on their land and give it back to them..

Old 12 Sep 17, 22:48
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCol View Post
I taught College Level History for fifteen years. My college had the second highest percent of Native American and Afro-American students enrolled in the state. Classes in though areas were offered every semester and never made. And they only needed ten students enrolled to make.
At the beginning of every semester I asked my students how many hated history in high school and almost always one third to one half raised their hands...I then asked what sport their teacher coached? History at the secondary school level is the most often taught by teachers without a degree in history. AT my university to get a teaching degree in history a student only need to maintain a 2.0 grade point average!!! And had to take only 18 hours of history courses. To get a history degree (non-teaching) a student had to maintain a 3.5 gpa. One problem I see is that college advisors are not aware of the jobs available in history and tries to lead students into the teaching field, ONLY, were you have to coach to make a living.

That's somewhat true in the South, where football is king. That's not the case out West. I just started at a new school and the only coaches I've met so far teach either math or computer technology. You've also overlooked the fact that those teachers had to pass an exam and demonstrate professional knowledge in their teaching fields.

I don't have a degree in history, and my kids were able to learn. I've majored (to include earning a degree) in kinesiology, chemistry, special education, and ELD. If you're properly motivated, willing to work, and invested in kids, you can teach almost any high school level course. I've taught courses in all four core areas.

Overall though, your ideas about secondary history teachers are flawed and offensive. The same could be said for the OP. It was so flawed, it could almost be described as fantasy.
Old 13 Sep 17, 04:40
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
Yeah I thank God I went to school in the 1950's/60's when kids were taught that everything was a clear-cut black and white issue with no grey areas.
But sadly, later generations are being brainwashed by the lefty establishment that NOTHING is clear-cut, and that we must carefully look at things from every possible angle blah blah, and as a result many kids grow up unsure of themselves.
The good news is that everybody is getting fed up of that lefty claptrap and showed it by voting the great straight-talking Donald Trump into the White House, and here in Britain we voted to cut loose from the wretched lefty EU..
https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/con...ies-education/

[COLOR=Blue][I]Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Sep 17, 06:58
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
Yes and as one who also went to school then but has now an MA in history recently acquired I can say what a lot of rubbish, myth and sheer ignorance we were taught - sometimes by teachers who were teaching from the book with no expertise themselves.Questioning nothing,accepting everything is not education it is merely cementing ignorance and often prejudice. Probably works for NK though.
Old 13 Sep 17, 07:28
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Yes and as one who also went to school then but has now an MA in history recently acquired I can say what a lot of rubbish, myth and sheer ignorance we were taught - sometimes by teachers who were teaching from the book with no expertise themselves.Questioning nothing,accepting everything is not education it is merely cementing ignorance and often prejudice. Probably works for NK though.
I was correcting our History teacher in high school. I had more interest in the subject than he did.

(For reference, I was Class of '69.)
Old 13 Sep 17, 10:23
Brigadier General
Russia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500]
dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500] dmf01 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
My history teacher at school tried her best - the way you've just depicted - to get me rid of my interest in history. Luckily she didn't succeed.
Old 17 Sep 17, 17:06
Major
UK

I left school 50 years ago with just average grades, yet it's never held me back in the slightest because I've always found that employers (the enlightened ones anyway), always attach more importance to a job applicants character than anything else.
For example I once applied for a job as a temporary hotel porter, but was so bloody good at the interview (chatty, jokey, open, honest, friendly and brimming with self-confidence) that the two co-owners offered me the job of general manager on the spot!
(Sadly I couldn't take it as I was moving to Plymouth shortly, otherwise I'd have ended up as a Basil Fawlty)..

Billionnaire Lord Alan Sugar once rightly told his apprentice candidates on TV-
"It's personality that opens doors, and character that keeps them open"..
Old 17 Sep 17, 20:08
General of the Forums
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700]
the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700] the ace is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I wonder what the motivation is.

In the UK, we were generally taught the History of Britain (with a nod to the Ancient world) but a lot was skimmed over due to the sheer scale of the subject.

It's only since devolution that the 100 years plus of Scottish History has been permitted in Scottish Schools (at University in the early '90s, I met a final year History MA who asked about Robert III, "Any relation to the Bruce ?" - for the record, his great-grandson, and one of the worst things ever to happen to the Crown), again, due to time considerations (honest).

Since the USA has only existed for around 250 years, why would anyone need to edit it ?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!