HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 08 Jan 14, 18:01
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgronski View Post
Buford himself felt so after P'ton was chosen head of Cav AOP. No doubt he was superior to P'ton so what do you think caused him being passed over?
I'm answering this again because after doing some reading of Edward Longacre's Lincoln's Cavalrymen, Buford might've been passed over because of his Kentucky roots. Longacre mentions this at least twice in reference to Buford's being passed over or being relegated to unimportant commands. Neither Stoneman or Pleasanton seem to have realized just how good Buford was in the field.

What I can't figure out is why being from Kentucky would be held against Buford. After all, Kentucky didn't secede and it furnished quite a few regiments for the Union Army. 60 from my reading on the subject.
Old 08 Jan 14, 22:44
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100] Viperlord has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Evans View Post
I'm answering this again because after doing some reading of Edward Longacre's Lincoln's Cavalrymen, Buford might've been passed over because of his Kentucky roots. Longacre mentions this at least twice in reference to Buford's being passed over or being relegated to unimportant commands. Neither Stoneman or Pleasanton seem to have realized just how good Buford was in the field.

What I can't figure out is why being from Kentucky would be held against Buford. After all, Kentucky didn't secede and it furnished quite a few regiments for the Union Army. 60 from my reading on the subject.
And unlike with loyalists from seceded states, there were Kentuckian representatives in Congress who presumably would have pushed for worthy Kentuckian soldiers to be promoted.
Old 09 Jan 14, 02:19
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
And unlike with loyalists from seceded states, there were Kentuckian representatives in Congress who presumably would have pushed for worthy Kentuckian soldiers to be promoted.
It worth mentioning that they were other Kentucky natives at this time who were reaching high positions of command. Pope had commanded the Army of the Mississippi and the Army of Virginia. Crittenden was currently in command of the 21st Corps, while Bull Nelson and Edward Canby had both been assigned to independent commands.
Old 09 Jan 14, 09:27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99] mgronski is on the path to success [1-99]
Which is why Buford thought his tie-in to Pope hurt his chances for promotion earlier with the AOP.
How curious was that both Buford and Reynolds(I Corps AOP) brightest light were on that same day at Gettysburg, despite being thought of in Army circles as the best Cavalry commander and Corps commander of the AOP, were misused throughout their previous actions.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!