StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 14 Nov 07, 23:05
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100] MonsterZero is a pillar of the community [1100]
Thumbs up Gamespot raving about Crysis

Crisis has received a max score of 9.5 (practical max...no game has ever gotten 10.0), an editor's choice award (very prestigious) and they're raving about it as one of the best shooters ever made.

As far as I know in this game you're fighting Korean communists and some alien race on islands similar to the world of Far Cry. The year is 2020 and in addition to cool futuristic weapons you have a biosuit similar to that worn by Predator in the Schwarzenegger movie. The suit provides protection, enhances strength and mobility and can make you invisible.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/cr...ml?sid=6182739

"Man is a military animal, glories in gunpowder, and loves parade."
--P. J. Bailey, British poet

Last edited by MonsterZero; 14 Nov 07 at 23:12..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 15 Nov 07, 20:18
First Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

FAdmiral is on the path to success [1-99]
Yes, it's all true !! I've been playing this game for 2 days now and it entirely blows COD4 away....

JIM

www.fairtax.org
Old 16 Nov 07, 19:31
First Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jayedub7423 is on the path to success [1-99] jayedub7423 is on the path to success [1-99] jayedub7423 is on the path to success [1-99] jayedub7423 is on the path to success [1-99]
I knew little about crysis other than who was making it, and that it was suppose to be great looking. So seeing the scores makes me want to go get the game!! I'm guessing Crysis must have large maps with lots of vehicles?
Old 17 Nov 07, 09:49
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900] LRB has earned the respect of all [900]
Judging by the review, if your PC doesn't rate being called a 9.5, chances are you might want to curb your excitement a bit

For instance, myself here, I doubt I can run a game half as good.
Even my power gaming buddy probably would be left out in the cold.

They've likely made a game that will require a new power system just to be able to run it decently.
It's sad, that the rest of ACG effectively does NOT exist, I won't post on it, and some of the remarks in Politics by some of the members truly does influence my opinions on some of the membership. and it's not a favourable impression.
Old 17 Nov 07, 17:36
First Sergeant
United_States

You have 4 graphic settings in Crysis. Low, Mediun, High (for DX9) and
Extra High (for DX9) My 2 year old PC is not the latest & greatest but I
can run the Low setting with fairly good frame rates. Even on Low, the
vibrant foliage on the Island map is way better than the COD4 colors.
Playability with Crysis is just superior to COD4 in every way....

JIM

www.fairtax.org
Old 19 Nov 07, 12:40
First Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jayedub7423 is on the path to success [1-99] jayedub7423 is on the path to success [1-99] jayedub7423 is on the path to success [1-99] jayedub7423 is on the path to success [1-99]
So are you going to troll every thread about how something is better than CoD4?

Looking forward to giving this one a try. I loved Far Cry, and this seems to be a prettier and more futuristic version of it!
Old 21 Nov 07, 02:32
General of the Forums
Singapore
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600] Ogukuo72 is simply cracking [600]
Great game! But forget about high settings if your graphics card isn't anywhere near the GeForce 8800 specs. I use a 8400, so can't even switch on the AA.
Old 29 Nov 07, 16:07
First Sergeant
United_States

Here is a website that is gonna make Crysis the Best that it can Be !!

http://www.crymod.com/portal.php

I don't think that anything is impossible when it comes to this game.
I, and many others, are pushing for a MP co-op mission like the SP
where the guys chuting down to the island are all human players....

JIM

www.fairtax.org
Old 01 Dec 07, 15:36
Major General
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200] Creeping Death is walking in the light [200]
Love it ( a quick review)

While never really a fan of futuristic FPS games, I was very apprehensive about buying it. My idea of futuristic FPS games stops at Aliens vs Predator, mainly because I like the movies otherwise give my WW2 or current conflicts.

That being said I wanted to give my new Dell XPS with Vista and all the bells and whistles something to work with. I to heard all the hype about Crysis and I decided to get it.
I absolutely love this game. The weapons are not overly advanced, SMG's, pistols, rocket launchers etc! The only thing that is over the top is your suit and all the neat things it can do. You want to run really fast, switch it over the speed setting and you turn into flash. Wanna be super strong, set it to super strength and your 2 times stronger etc!
You can add all kinds of goodies to your weapons as well, silencers, grenade launchers, tactical lights and more.

The AI is really good as well. i have it on the 2nd easiest section and it is hard. Almost everything is destructible, the trees, the buildings, the animals.
You can pick up almost anything and throw it, I picked up a chicken and threw it, it was dead on impact and that goes for other creatures as well.
I also heard that if you swim out to the open sea you may come in contact with a hungry shark. Did I mention the graphics are top notch................
There is a lot of swearing and blood and gore as well. That is why it got a Mature rating. It also scared the crap out of me as a certain monster/space creature snatched up my LT and ripped him in half.

If your PC has the power I highly recomend getting this game.

Chad
Old 01 Dec 07, 17:25
First Sergeant
United_States

The new maps & mods are really hitting the DLs for this game. I have
already started on my 2nd island map (modded with more & smarter AI
NK bots) and there are 2 more I can try as well. I tried the MP as it came
out with the game but it was not for me. Both sides have nanosuits & maps are small, aiming towards run-n-gun players. A stealthy co-op MP like the island map with the humans few in number but wearing suits vs. many, many AI North Korean bots to take out. The aliens can be left out entirely. They turn this amazing FPS semi-futuristic great game into another
"War of the Worlds" movie adventrue....

JIM

www.fairtax.org
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Dec 07, 21:34
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
PC Gamer has pretty made this the FPS that now sets the bar for all future FPSs... Just like Doom did when it came out, and when Half-life blew all of us away...

Eat your heart out Halo.

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!