StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 05 Oct 17, 07:34
General of the Forums
England
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thumbs up Cleethorpes... wot a dump!!!

Got dragged there by Herself the other day, and planned to sulk the entire time, then I found this...

And athwart the seas
Hath passed the light of noble deeds
Unquenchable forever.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 05 Oct 17, 07:57
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Richter View Post
[CENTER]Got dragged there by Herself the other day, and planned to sulk the entire time, then I found this...

[
Always thought you'd be more of a skulker than a sulker

Interesting memorial
Old 05 Oct 17, 08:00
General of the Forums
England

I'm excellent at both them there disciplines. There was another monument thingy to the Air Sea Rescue Service, I took a couple of piccys, if they're relevant to this 'ere Forum?

And athwart the seas
Unquenchable forever.
Old 06 Oct 17, 01:58
General of the Forums
England

Thumbs up

It's very sobering to look at the casualties on that monument. 120 aircraft failed to return, 241 aircrew dead, twp man crews, no survivors.You went down in the North Sea and there was virtually no chance.

LEST WE FORGET

And athwart the seas
Unquenchable forever.
Old 06 Oct 17, 18:19
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Richter View Post
It's very sobering to look at the casualties on that monument. 120 aircraft failed to return, 241 aircrew dead, twp man crews, no survivors.You went down in the North Sea and there was virtually no chance.

LEST WE FORGET

Apparently the Beaufighter was a difficult aircraft to ditch and get out of

In case one can't read the photo

Quote:
When a Beau goes in,
Into the drink,
It makes you think,
Because, you see, they always sink
But nobody says poor ladĒ
Or goes about looking sad
Because, you see, itís war,
Itís the unalterable law.

Although itís perfectly certain
The pilots gone for a Burton
And the observer too
Itís nothing to do with you
And if they both should go
To a land where falls no rain nor hail
Nor driven snow-
Here, there or anywhere,
Do you suppose they care?

You should cry
Or say a prayer or sigh.
In the cold sea in the dark
It isnít a lark
But isnít original sin-
Itís just a Beau going in.

Gavin Ewart
Did one aircraft have a 3 man crew?
Quote:
On that trip back, the navigator I had in the Beaufighter, Ė there are two people in the Beaufighter, the pilot and the navigator Ė we got about 20 minutes across the Channel when the navigator said, ďIím sorry, Skipper, we must have been hit by flak over Le Havre and we are going to have to ditch in the English Channel.Ē That was very exciting in itself because I had never ditched before. So we went for a few more minutes then we decided there was no getting around it, we would have to ditch. We ditched and the Beaufighter had a salt water release so that the minute you hit the water, out pops your dinghy. And we pulled over and swam to the dinghy and the Beaufighter, which was a very heavy aircraft, just sank like a stone into the Channel. One good thing about it, I thought, well, nobody is going to blame us because they will never find any proof that we were over to Le Havre because everything will be at the bottom of the English Channel, which we got a silent joke out of it. Now, my other two buddies, we all had agreed that if anything happened to one of them, the other two would fly up north so that whatever we said happened, they would back it up. As a result, we were lucky that the wind was blowing north to England, so after a few minutes we decided to try and row ourselves back with the little paddle that comes in the dinghy. And we got, oh, I guess about half way across and we were all very wet and excited. I have thought afterwards, since being home after all these years, they should have a rope tied to the Beaufighter with your dinghy because, really, when the Beaufighter landed in the water and the dinghy came out, you had to swim like mad to get to the damn dinghy! So we decided thatís what we would make a point of.
George Neale

Last edited by MarkV; 06 Oct 17 at 18:55..
Old 06 Oct 17, 19:03
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The wording on that monument looks a bit run down, I've just dropped 4 e-mails to 4 councillors up there to ask which party is responsible for the upkeep, and will post here if they reply.

Beaufighters attacking E-boats by Gary Eason

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 06 Oct 17 at 19:13..
Old 06 Oct 17, 22:44
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
The wording on that monument looks a bit run down, I've just dropped 4 e-mails to 4 councillors up there to ask which party is responsible for the upkeep, and will post here if they reply.

Beaufighters attacking E-boats by Gary Eason
Well, I read about 'em, look at those damned photo's and think, 'Rather my job than theirs'!! lcm1.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!