StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > North America

Notices and Announcements

North America Important Events in Canada and the United States. .

Old 04 Oct 17, 23:07
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Then disprove him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Engineer View Post
Why would you take any Entertainer serious when it comes to politics? After all that is what they are. No different than listening to an Actor or singer... That includes the Right-wing Opioid addict that is the topic of this thread.
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 05 Oct 17, 00:20
Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
On Liberals misusing stats:

"There’s also another stat running out there that we need to deal with today. It’s been showing up in the New York Times, and the head coach of the New Orleans Saints, Sean Payton, fell for it. I didn’t know, but Sean Payton apparently is a Republican. He’s the coach of the Ain’ts, and the New York Times a couple days ago had a stat that caused Sean Payton to say (paraphrasing), “Our gun laws are not working. We gotta change our gun laws. I saw the stat in the New York Times, it’s outrageous.

And the stat is that more Americans have died due to domestic gunfire in the United States than in all American wars combined. Now, while the numbers may be close to being true, it doesn’t get anywhere near telling the true story.

...Do you know what the number one cause of death with guns in America is? It is suicide. By far and away the number one cause of death via guns is not homicide. It is suicide. Men killing themselves.

And they conflate this as murder when they start running these numbers, talking about the number of people who died via guns. The murder rate in the United States does not get anywhere near equaling the number of Americans killed in U.S. wars."

On liberals doing research and realizing that gun-control laws won't reduce murder:

"Now, I mentioned an op-ed in the Washington Post that ran yesterday. It’s by a woman named Leah Libresco, and she is a statistician, a former news writer at FiveThirtyEight, a data journalism site. That is the website of Nate Silver who is a polling and big data analyst god to people on the left.

...She admits that she used to believe after every incident such as Las Vegas or Sandy Hook or what happened out in Arizona with Gabby Giffords, she used to be one of these who just instinctively, reflexively started shouting, “Gun control, gun control, gun control, we need more gun control.” So she and her like-minded statisticians and friends at FiveThirtyEight undertook an in-depth research project to prove to themselves that what they were demanding could happen and would make a difference.

...Well, she says, “I researched the strictly tightened gun laws in Britain and Australia and concluded that they didn’t prove much about what America’s policy should be.” I’ll tell you why. She went and looked around the world where they have the strictest gun laws in the world and found they didn’t make any difference. Just as they don’t make any difference in Chicago. Which is only common sense!

...She says, “But guns are modular, and any hobbyist can easily add these features at home, just as if they were snapping together Legos.” Any hobbyist can attach a bayonet mount, a rocket propelled grenade launcher, a folding stock or a pistol grip. She was surprised to learn that’s what an assault weapon is and nobody walks in to buy one.

Then she talks about silencers and how that’s not what they are; they’re suppressors. Hollywood has created incorrect misinformation about silencers. They don’t go pfft pfft pfft and nobody can hear when you fire. She said the suppressor on an AR-15, which is the hated weapon of the day, the hated weapon of the moment, a suppressor, a, quote, unquote, silencer on an AR-15 is as loud as a jackhammer.

...Do you realize how profound this is, for somebody like this to be admitting this, published in the Washington Post. They kept looking at the data, less and less it seemed that broad stroke gun control restrictions would make a difference. Here’s the stat, folks: “Two-thirds of gun deaths in the United States every year are suicides.” They’re not mass shootings. They’re not murders. Two-thirds are suicides. And there’s not a single proposed restriction on guns that would change that. Not a single one."

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...ion-not-facts/

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"
Old 05 Oct 17, 09:34
General of the Forums
United_States

Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
They are Progressive talk radio hosts, the counterparts on the Left to guys like Rush.

Randi Rhodes got investigated by the Secret Service for making threats against a sitting President (Bush) on her show. She's been tossed off the air for profanity and other theatrics by the FCC several times.

Stephanie Miller likes toilet humor and has stated she's drunk on wine while doing her show.

Ed Schultz has said he's for voter fraud and encouraged others to do it, on the air on several occasions. He's also dissed and said he'd debate Right wing talk hosts on several occasions. When they accepted, he backed down and shut up. He's very much a ranter that makes Limbaugh look pretty tame.

I can only take a short dose of any of this bunch's stupidity. I'm not fond of Limbaugh or guys like Michael Savage but they're streets ahead of the Left on the radio. About the only Leftist I can listen to is Thom Hartmann. At least he's calm and tries to be reasonable. I may disagree with his point-of-view, but I can respect that he's trying to have a conversation, not rant using vulgarity and ad hominems in an in your face attempt to be funny and edgy.
I do not do talk shows or talk show hosts.....of any flavor. Those people only put forth opinions......and I get plenty of opinions here, and most of the posters here express their opinions far more intelligently than those television and radio talking heads.

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!
Old 05 Oct 17, 09:50
General of the Forums
United_States

Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by American87 View Post
On Liberals misusing stats:

"There’s also another stat running out there that we need to deal with today. It’s been showing up in the New York Times, and the head coach of the New Orleans Saints, Sean Payton, fell for it. I didn’t know, but Sean Payton apparently is a Republican. He’s the coach of the Ain’ts, and the New York Times a couple days ago had a stat that caused Sean Payton to say (paraphrasing), “Our gun laws are not working. We gotta change our gun laws. I saw the stat in the New York Times, it’s outrageous.

And the stat is that more Americans have died due to domestic gunfire in the United States than in all American wars combined. Now, while the numbers may be close to being true, it doesn’t get anywhere near telling the true story.

...Do you know what the number one cause of death with guns in America is? It is suicide. By far and away the number one cause of death via guns is not homicide. It is suicide. Men killing themselves.

And they conflate this as murder when they start running these numbers, talking about the number of people who died via guns. The murder rate in the United States does not get anywhere near equaling the number of Americans killed in U.S. wars."

On liberals doing research and realizing that gun-control laws won't reduce murder:

"Now, I mentioned an op-ed in the Washington Post that ran yesterday. It’s by a woman named Leah Libresco, and she is a statistician, a former news writer at FiveThirtyEight, a data journalism site. That is the website of Nate Silver who is a polling and big data analyst god to people on the left.

...She admits that she used to believe after every incident such as Las Vegas or Sandy Hook or what happened out in Arizona with Gabby Giffords, she used to be one of these who just instinctively, reflexively started shouting, “Gun control, gun control, gun control, we need more gun control.” So she and her like-minded statisticians and friends at FiveThirtyEight undertook an in-depth research project to prove to themselves that what they were demanding could happen and would make a difference.

...Well, she says, “I researched the strictly tightened gun laws in Britain and Australia and concluded that they didn’t prove much about what America’s policy should be.” I’ll tell you why. She went and looked around the world where they have the strictest gun laws in the world and found they didn’t make any difference. Just as they don’t make any difference in Chicago. Which is only common sense!

...She says, “But guns are modular, and any hobbyist can easily add these features at home, just as if they were snapping together Legos.” Any hobbyist can attach a bayonet mount, a rocket propelled grenade launcher, a folding stock or a pistol grip. She was surprised to learn that’s what an assault weapon is and nobody walks in to buy one.

Then she talks about silencers and how that’s not what they are; they’re suppressors. Hollywood has created incorrect misinformation about silencers. They don’t go pfft pfft pfft and nobody can hear when you fire. She said the suppressor on an AR-15, which is the hated weapon of the day, the hated weapon of the moment, a suppressor, a, quote, unquote, silencer on an AR-15 is as loud as a jackhammer.

...Do you realize how profound this is, for somebody like this to be admitting this, published in the Washington Post. They kept looking at the data, less and less it seemed that broad stroke gun control restrictions would make a difference. Here’s the stat, folks: “Two-thirds of gun deaths in the United States every year are suicides.” They’re not mass shootings. They’re not murders. Two-thirds are suicides. And there’s not a single proposed restriction on guns that would change that. Not a single one."

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...ion-not-facts/

If that is what you subscribe to you are clearly blind. Here are the active shooter statistics for 2014-15 from that liberal source known as the FBI.

By The Numbers
40 incidents in 26 states: 20 incidents in 2014; 20 incidents in 2015.
231 casualties: 92 killed and 139 wounded (excluding the shooters).
4 law enforcement officers killed and 10 wounded in 6 incidents.5
3 unarmed security guards wounded.
6 incidents ended when citizens acted to end the threat. 6
26 incidents ended with law enforcement at the scene.
14 incidents ended with an exchange of gunfire between the 16 shooters
and law enforcement.
12 killed by police, one off-duty.
3 committed suicide.
1 surrendered to law enforcement.
42 shooters. 7
39 male
3 female.
2 husband-and-wife teams.
16 shooters committed suicide.
14 shooters were killed by law enforcement.
12 shooters were apprehended.

Again, fatso Rush is an a-hole and an idiot.

Quote:
[PDF]Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2014 and 2015 - FBI.gov

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/..._2014-2015.pdf

the federal definition of mass killings. Casualties. A total of 231 ... The highest number of casualties occurred at the Inland Regional Center in San. Bernardino ...
This was information compiled for active shooters between 2000-2013.

Quote:
CASUALTIES
■■
Casualties (victims killed and wounded) totaled 1,043. The individual shooters are not included in this total.
■■
A total of 486 individuals were killed.
■■
A total of 557 individuals were wounded.11
■■
In 64 incidents (40.0%), the crime would have fallen within the federal definition of “mass killing”—defined as “three or more” killed—under the new federal statute.
INCIDENTS WITH THE HIGHEST CASUALTY COUNTS:
■■
Cinemark Century 16 Theater in Aurora, Colorado:
70 (12 killed, 58 wounded), July 20, 2012.
■■
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, Virginia:
49 (32 killed, 17 wounded), April 16, 2007.12
■■
Ft. Hood Soldier Readiness Processing Center in Ft. Hood, Texas:
45 (13 killed, 32 wounded), November 5, 2009.
■■
Sandy Hook Elementary School and a residence in Newtown, Connecticut:
29 (27 killed, 2 wounded), December 14, 2012.
SHOOTERS
■■
All but 2 incidents involved a single shooter.13
■■
In at least 9 incidents, the shooter first shot and killed a family member(s) in a residence before moving to a more public location to continue shooting.14
■■
In at least 6 incidents, the shooters were female.15
■■
In 64 incidents (40.0%), the shooters committed suicide; 54 shooters did so at the scene of the crime.
■■
At least 5 shooters from 4 incidents remain at large.16
Quote:
A Study of Active Shooter Incidents in the United States Between ... - FBI

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...000-2013-1.pdf

by WN Yard - ‎2013 - ‎Cited by 7 - ‎Related articles
Jan 10, 2013 - Texas State University and Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Department of ..... This is not a study of mass killings or mass shootings, but rather a .... The median number of individuals killed in each incident was 2, and the ...
If you somehow believe that the proliferation of legally available firearms has nothing to do with those statistics then I can only assume that you being willfully obtuse. But please, do keep on trotting out the opinions of Rush, after all he is an authority on virtually everything.

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!
Old 05 Oct 17, 10:10
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
If that is what you subscribe to you are clearly blind. Here are the active shooter statistics for 2014-15 from that liberal source known as the FBI.

By The Numbers
and law enforcement.
3 committed suicide.
42 shooters. 7
39 male
3 female.

If you somehow believe that the proliferation of legally available firearms has nothing to do with those statistics then I can only assume that you being willfully obtuse. But please, do keep on trotting out the opinions of Rush, after all he is an authority on virtually everything.
Why are you dissing assholes Mario? Why some lame ____ idolize him.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Sponsored Links

Old 06 Oct 17, 12:24
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I want to hear Rush's thoughts on oxycodone.

All kidding aside, his comments about fmr NJ Jim McGreevy were the most human I've ever heard from Rush. Made me think that his shouting blowhard persona is merely schtick. Rush's politics are fine, as far as they go: it's his on-air persona that's intolerable.
Old 06 Oct 17, 16:28
Colonel
United_States

American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Man86 View Post

By The Numbers
and law enforcement.
3 committed suicide.
42 shooters. 7
39 male
3 female.

That's beside the point. Rush pointed out that liberals were using a fake stat to argue againt guns. While your stat list is interesting, it doesn't mean much for gun laws since stricter gun laws don't reduce gun violence.

Quote:
Stricter gun laws don't reduce gun violence. You could repeal the 2nd ammendment and you would still have the same gun violence rate. Gun violence might even go up if you did that.

Old 06 Oct 17, 16:30
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
I want to hear Rush's thoughts on oxycodone.

All kidding aside, his comments about fmr NJ Jim McGreevy were the most human I've ever heard from Rush. Made me think that his shouting blowhard persona is merely schtick. Rush's politics are fine, as far as they go: it's his on-air persona that's intolerable.
I don't think he's a blowhard, and he doesnt shout. Have you litened to him? He's always level headed and having a good time.

Bill O'Reilly has a reputation for being a "blowhard" too. I think the MSM and Jon Stewart have put this idea out there that Conservative men are blowhards.

Old 06 Oct 17, 16:35
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
O'Really is a first class blow hard. Listen to his early programs and he hasn't changed one bit. He always over talks his guest among other irritating manners.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Old 06 Oct 17, 16:53
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] johns624 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
I always thought of O'Reilly more as a pompous ass.
Old 06 Oct 17, 17:12
Lieutenant General
United_States

wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300]
Rush is as useful as any other pundit. Entertaining an idea is not the same as professing to the same.
Old 07 Oct 17, 06:09
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns624 View Post
He has many endearing qualities.

Old 07 Oct 17, 06:13
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns624 View Post

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blowhard

Yep! That's Rush. Fits an elected official very bigly as well.

Old 08 Oct 17, 03:18
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blowhard

Yep! That's Rush. Fits an elected official very bigly as well.
Rush doesn't fit that definition because he's not a "braggart" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/braggart

However, he is "confident" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/confident

and "intelligent" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intelligent

Old 08 Oct 17, 03:19
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
i agree https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/endearing

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!