StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks > Mess Hall

Notices and Announcements

Mess Hall By popular demand - this area of the Barracks is set aside for all your culinary-related discussions.

Old 26 Sep 17, 12:30
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
English . . . . boil . . . . Is there any other way to cook over there?

Rimshot
Old 26 Sep 17, 20:56
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
English . . . . boil . . . . Is there any other way to cook over there?

Rimshot
That used to be true in my experience. The awesome comedian Victoria Wood, once said her mum started to boil her brussel sprouts in November to make sure they were ready for Christmas .

My grandma was the same. Meat, yorkshires, roasties were all awesome, veg much less so. I suspect this was due to WW2, where a lack of meat meant more care was taken with it than relatively plentiful veg.

Obviously this was over half a century ago. Not been here since?
Old 27 Sep 17, 09:59
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
..The awesome comedian Victoria Wood, once said her mum started to boil her brussel sprouts in November to make sure they were ready for Christmas
Haha I had a bad experience with brussels a couple of years ago and have been too scared to mess with them since...
I bought a small plastic bagfull from the local grocers and boiled them for about 5 minutes but they came out almost as rock-hard as when they went in, but I ate them anyway, and an hour later I felt like I was dying and puked most of them up, don't you just hate it when that happens..(sniffle)..
Whether I hadn't cooked them for long enough, or whether they were laced with poisonous pesticide or something I dunno.
Old 28 Sep 17, 15:12
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Jose50 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Cool

Boil? Not this boy. Roasted veggies are the way to go. Especially cole crops and root vegetables. Also, grilling is another option. Either way - oil the veggies first, a little salt and pepper and seasoning of your choice then pop them onto a hot grill/oven for as long as you like. (I like to get mine a bit crusted) Both roasting and grilling concentrate the sugars and the flavors of the various vegetables.
Old 28 Sep 17, 16:55
ACG Forums - Field Marshall
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 Model Forum Group Build 
SPQR Campaign 

Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
No they were nature's way of allowing humans who were careless enough whilst evolving to mislay the gene that produces Vit C, to survive. We had it once way back down the evolutionary trail but must have dropped it crossing over into apes.
My comment was meant to be taken as a joke, but let's look further into this.

There are people such as the Inuits and certain African tribes that eat a 100% meat diet.

Eat meat. Drink water.

https://zerocarbzen.com/vitamin-c/

Quote:
There are actually some vegetable that are poisonous unless you do boil them first. Red kidney beans for example - indeed most tinned beans have been gently boiled before being canned
Beans are not are vegetables, they're botanically fruits.

Corn is also fruit, as are all grains.

It is mostly root vegetables that require cooking. But most of those are nutritionally consumed for starch.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg
Sponsored Links

Old 29 Sep 17, 16:31
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Hey guys can I just slip another important question in?-
Whenever I treat myself to a raw steak, I cut it up into chunks and fry them, but no matter how short or how long I leave them sizzling, they always come out like tasteless hard rubber.
Yet I remember when my late mother used to cook steaks for our dinner they came out beautifully soft and tender with a "melt-in-your-mouth" consistency, so what am I doing wrong?
Old 29 Sep 17, 17:12
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
Hey guys can I just slip another important question in?-
Whenever I treat myself to a raw steak, I cut it up into chunks and fry them, but no matter how short or how long I leave them sizzling, they always come out like tasteless hard rubber.
Yet I remember when my late mother used to cook steaks for our dinner they came out beautifully soft and tender with a "melt-in-your-mouth" consistency, so what am I doing wrong?
First of all is the cut of the meat, pan frying London Broil is a no-no.

What I do is grease the skillet with butter, spice the meat with salt and pepper then toss it into a hot skillet to sear (Brown) the meat on each side to seal in the juices.

When done to your liking (rare, medium, or well done) set aside to rest for a few minutes.

Here's a more precise description.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...Perfect-Steak/

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 29 Sep 17, 19:53
Hero of ACG
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99]
If you have tough meats, a good long simmer will make them come out quite tender. Easiest is a slow-cooker recipe (but it can easily be done in a pan, etc). The time simmering in the broth/gravy/sauce can make the toughest meats just fall apart!

Winston Churchill
Old 30 Sep 17, 06:31
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
If you have tough meats, a good long simmer will make them come out quite tender. Easiest is a slow-cooker recipe (but it can easily be done in a pan, etc). The time simmering in the broth/gravy/sauce can make the toughest meats just fall apart!
Problem with slow cookers is that they can also kill any flavour
Old 30 Sep 17, 11:10
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300]
I've been told that the best way for vegetables is to buy frozen and cook them in a microwave.
Old 30 Sep 17, 11:32
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinator View Post
My comment was meant to be taken as a joke, but let's look further into this.

There are people such as the Inuits and certain African tribes that eat a 100% meat diet.

Only works if you eat lots of raw meat and fish and bits of the animals must humans are unable to digest The Inuit can tolerate quantities of Vit B from raw liver that would kill you or I

Eat meat. Drink water. Get worms Die of survey

Quote:
Beans are not are vegetables, they're botanically fruits.

corn is also fruit, as are all grains.
But in culinary terms they are vegetables and many beans do need some cooking as they contain toxin called 'phytohaemagglutinin a poison destroyed by heat
Old 30 Sep 17, 11:39
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMax View Post
I've been told that the best way for vegetables is to buy frozen and cook them in a microwave.
You guys ought to try California Cuisine.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/1754/u...fornia/?page=2

It focuses on fresh local grown veggies, not frozen.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 05 Oct 17, 11:23
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Microwaves: Most new consumer sized microwaves have auto settings for things like
  • fresh vegetables
  • frozen vegetables
  • baked potatoes

An internal thermostat estimates doneness, usually still firm. You will have to experiment to find a setting you like. Easy when you are single, no witnesses.

Roasting: Better if you have the time because of the opportunity for carmelization previously mentioned plus it's easy to add things like cheese during the last 5 - 10 minutes.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 09 Oct 17, 02:42
Captain
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100] NoPref has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
A good vegetable soup or stew should keep all the vitamins in the broth.

Pruitt
In general, true, but Vitamin C is broken down by heat. Limes have a reasonable mount of Vit. C, but when they were boiled them down to make inspissated lime juice for the RN much of the Vitamin C content was lost.

For Poor Old Spike

Microwaving is pretty much the same as steaming. One serving of fresh veg plus around 20 ml water plus a few minutes of microwaving in a covered dish or bowl = cooked veg with most of the nutrients intact. Then you can add additional flavor to the veg, like squeezing a lemon wedge (Vitamin C!) over some cooked broccoli or adding some grated parmesan or both.
Old 09 Oct 17, 05:42
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPref View Post
In general, true, but Vitamin C is broken down by heat. Limes have a reasonable mount of Vit. C, but when they were boiled them down to make inspissated lime juice for the RN much of the Vitamin C content was lost.
But not all. People have an exaggerated idea of just how much Vit C the human body needs - its not a lot but some is essential. Most people who take vit C tablets are in fact ODing on vit C but fortunately the body is remarkably tolerant of unnecessary doses of vit C and taking too much may give you the runs but not much more. - this is not the case with some other vitamins and it is possible to poison oneself especially in the case of non water soluble ones like A and D which can build up in the body fat. Vit A can be particularly deadly which is why eating too much liver over a period is not a good idea. An early team of Australian Antarctic explorers ate the livers of slaughtered sledge dogs and many of them died. In the Arctic polar bear liver is rich in Vit C but it is also rich in Vit A. The Inuit have an unusually high tolerance of vit A but for most humans polar bear liver is poisonous.. The rule with all vitamins is some is essential but too much is a baad idea

The big thing about vegetables is that they provide fibre and evolution has "designed" the human digestive system to need fibre. Boil your veggies to a pulp and you loose most of the fibre.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!