StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Film, DVD, and TV

Notices and Announcements

Film, DVD, and TV Discuss the latest movies at the theatre and on DVD, as well as what is on TV. ACG film reviews will also be found here.

Old 02 Oct 17, 14:23
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
Films such as Day After Tomorrow, 2012, and Insterstellar are really a bit glib to me.
Old 02 Oct 17, 19:00
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava188 View Post
Films such as Day After Tomorrow, 2012, and Insterstellar are really a bit glib to me.
As the 1066 and all that authors would say 'expand and expound but do not attempt to write on both sides of the paper at the same time'
Old 02 Oct 17, 22:34
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
They're preachy, whiney politically correct nonsense about a near future apocalypse based on pseudoscience. That's what made them terrible sci-fi movies.
Old 07 Oct 17, 17:20
Major
United_States

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
Another sci fi film I hate would be Deep Impact. I was bad if not worse than the films I mentioned earlier. It was too sappy. Now compared with Armageddon which totally kicked butt it wasn't very sappy or drawn out as Deep Impact. The thing that makes Armageddon great was the fact that the Earth was saved in Armageddon despite New York, Shanghai , and Paris getting hit whereas in Deep Impact the Earth got hit by half a comet. By all rights Morgan Freeman's character should be impeached.
Old 08 Oct 17, 00:20
Lieutenant Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
They're preachy, whiney politically correct nonsense about a near future apocalypse based on pseudoscience. That's what made them terrible sci-fi movies.
I'd rate Interstellar as one of the best sci-fi films ever, boy am I weird..
The only pol-correct bit I spotted was when McConaughey was told off by his daughter's schoolteachers for telling her that the Apollo landings were NOT faked! Script excerpt-

Teacher- "..the Apollo missions were faked to bankrupt the Soviet Union."
McConaughey- "You don't believe we went to the moon?"
Teacher- "It was a brilliant piece of propaganda. The Soviets bankrupted themselves pouring resources into rockets and other useless machines."

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.c...e=interstellar
Old 11 Oct 17, 19:07
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Another sci fi film I hate would be Deep Impact. I was bad if not worse than the films I mentioned earlier. It was too sappy. Now compared with Armageddon which totally kicked butt it wasn't very sappy or drawn out as Deep Impact. The thing that makes Armageddon great was the fact that the Earth was saved in Armageddon despite New York, Shanghai , and Paris getting hit whereas in Deep Impact the Earth got hit by half a comet. By all rights Morgan Freeman's character should be impeached.
That's a problem of modern audience expectations. Big heroically drawn characters pull out all the stops and save the human race by shear will. Exciting but probably wrong.

Deep Impact was, with a few exceptions, reasonably accurate in it's portrayals of physics. Armageddon was a space opera, almost nothing it portrayed was even reasonable, much less feasible.

One pet peeve I have with this entire genre is the writers' insistence on using a "tactical nuclear weapon" to destroy the problem. "Hello!" TACTICAL nukes are the LITTLE ONES! If the Earth is at risk you better haul out the closest thing to TSAR BOMBA that you can wire together!

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 12 Oct 17, 18:50
Major
United_States

You have to admit that Armageddon was great because it kept the "mushiness" to a minimum.
Old 13 Oct 17, 15:31
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoyote View Post
That's a problem of modern audience expectations. Big heroically drawn characters pull out all the stops and save the human race by shear will. Exciting but probably wrong.

Deep Impact was, with a few exceptions, reasonably accurate in it's portrayals of physics. Armageddon was a space opera, almost nothing it portrayed was even reasonable, much less feasible.

One pet peeve I have with this entire genre is the writers' insistence on using a "tactical nuclear weapon" to destroy the problem. "Hello!" TACTICAL nukes are the LITTLE ONES! If the Earth is at risk you better haul out the closest thing to TSAR BOMBA that you can wire together!

Repped you too soon on another post, but this is "right on". "Deep Impact" is the more realistic and scientific accurate of the two. Here's a dated (nearly 20 years ago) article that touches upon the topic of "impacts" and discusses these movies as part of its content. Presented because it also discusses what is a recurring hazard in this regard, the Taurid Meteor Stream;
http://enterprisemission.com/oh_my_god.htm

Old 13 Oct 17, 15:31
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
You have to admit that Armageddon was great because it kept the "mushiness" to a minimum.
Nope, can't agree. Hope you meant to use this

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!