StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 13 Aug 16, 00:54
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
Day 3:

Meade's Headquarters

View towards the Union position from Seminary Ridge. The barn is half way across the field, and the obelisk to its left is on Cemetery Ridge. The second large tree to the left of the Obelisk mark's the spot where two stone walls met to form "The Angle", which was the focus of Pickett's Charge. At the edge of woods to the right is where Lee met his troops on their return from Pickett's Charge.

View of Cemetery Ridge from the Emmittsburg Rd. The rise on the left with the trees on top is where the famous "Angle" stood.

The tree in the center of the photo is at the spot where two stone walls met to form "The Angle". This is from the Confederate point of view

The Angle. Note the two rows of stones marking the location of the stone walls

Union position on Cemetery Ridge. The small monument in front of the cannon marks the "High Water Mark", where Confederate General Armistead fell. To the right is the tree that marks The Angle. In the front, across the field, is the white monument that marks the Condfederate starting point on Seminary Ridge.

Old 13 Aug 16, 06:14
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
fortunately we have been able to save GB in much of it's original condition with out the monstrosities placed at Waterloo. GB still has to many roads for my taste.

I made a visit the summer 0f 88 and sat out in front of the Angle for some time. I really got a good feeling of the masses of troops crossing that field and dying. I sat in total stillness with only the wind moving the grass. A hot and sunny days much like it was in 1863.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 20 Aug 16, 19:11
First Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99]
Dude, this was a fantastic photo post. Thank you I enjoyed it very much.
Old 22 Aug 16, 10:10
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Awesome .

Some of the best pics ever .

Thanks!
Old 25 Aug 17, 16:48
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
Antietam

Looking south from the North Woods onto the Cornfield

Looking at the Cornfield, with the East Woods on the left

General Mansfield memorial by the East Woods

Looking north onto the Cornfield from the Confederate position, with the Miller Farm on the left

Looking north in the West Woods from the Confederate position

Dunker Church

Looking north from the Dunker Church, with the Cornfield visible in the center

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"
Sponsored Links

Old 27 Aug 17, 01:14
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Antietam

South of the East Woods. Union infantry advanced from left to right to attack the Sunken Road, which is 180 yards to the right.

Bloody Lane

The Bloody Lane's field of fire

Old 27 Aug 17, 01:24
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Antietam

Burnside's Bridge, from the Confederate point of view

From the Union point of view

When the Union troops broke through the Confederates made their first stand on this ridge

I might have my pictures mixed up, but this might be where the Confederates made their second stand. This is nearby and to the rear of Burnside's Bridge

The Harper's Ferry Road just south of town. A.P. Hill attacked from left to right.

Old 27 Aug 17, 01:37
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Antietam

Sharpsburg as it stands today. Some Confederates fell back to the town, and Longsreet helped several ladies put out a fire.

On the Boonsboro Road, headed from town towards the Middle Bridge

Site of the Middle Bridge, and Antietam Creek

Pry House (McClellans Headquarters). McClellan gathered the furniture out on the lawn and watched the battle through a telescope.

Old 27 Aug 17, 07:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Well done and thanks.
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 29 Aug 17, 03:09
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Well done and thanks.
Thanks, and no problem

Old 29 Aug 17, 03:28
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Robert E. Lee's homes in Northern Virginia

Robert E. Lee's boyhood home in Alexandria, VA.

Some historic homes in Alexandria. I'm always charmed by colonial architecture. The first pic was taken a block away from Lee's boyhood home.

Last edited by American87; 29 Aug 17 at 03:54..
Old 29 Aug 17, 03:40
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Robert E. Lee's homes in Northern Virginia

Rear and garden of Arlington House

Arlington. I never admired the columns in pictures, but once I saw them up close I was impressed. They are stately and have this pleasant brown streak to them.

The mansion is too big to take a picture of it up close. As you'll see in a moment, it has a comanding view of the capital.

View from the portico. The tomb on the right is for Pierre Charles L'Enfant, the man who designed the layout of Washington, D.C.

Last edited by American87; 29 Aug 17 at 03:58..
Old 25 Sep 17, 20:26
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

I ended up visiting Charlottesville, and it was about a week or so after the infamous protests around the Lee statue.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!