StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 21 Sep 17, 12:06
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmf01 View Post
The only excuse that I think of, is if all US soldiers - no matter where they had served - encountered the same hostile treatment from the US civilian population. Calling them "baby killers" and all that stuff (quite daft and detestable concerning that directed to their own country's servicemen, IMO). If so, may be one can call himself an "Era" veteran. Perhaps.

I, for my side of the Iron Curtain, as many of my friends, had served in the Soviet Army during the Soviet involvement in Afghanistan. None of us had been in this country and neither me nor my friends' minds ever crossed idea to call ourselves an "Afghanistan Era Veteran". I think if anyone would, he would certainly be laughed at.
Exactly!
Old 21 Sep 17, 14:11
Brigadier General
United_States

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmf01 View Post
The only excuse that I think of, is if all US soldiers - no matter where they had served - encountered the same hostile treatment from the US civilian population. Calling them "baby killers" and all that stuff (quite daft and detestable concerning that directed to their own country's servicemen, IMO). If so, may be one can call himself an "Era" veteran. Perhaps.

I, for my side of the Iron Curtain, as many of my friends, had served in the Soviet Army during the Soviet involvement in Afghanistan. None of us had been in this country and neither me nor my friends' minds ever crossed idea to call ourselves an "Afghanistan Era Veteran". I think if anyone would, he would certainly be laughed at.
That was very well put.
Old 21 Sep 17, 17:03
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99]
I have a customer who was in-country- He was a combat engineer. He wore a hat one day that I recognized with the SVN flag- so subtle that if you didn't know you wouldn't know- I said hey, I know what that is- so we got to talking about it. He didn't want to act like it was a big deal and told me -Yes I was there- I asked him where, unit detachment all the little clues I needed to find out- He checked out but my point is- He wasn't in combat, he was a remf engineer who knows he was shot at twice for sure but not even sure it was from the enemy but mostly oversaw ARVN ditch diggers ~ he said what he did didn't count and completely downplayed even being there. Now he's a guy who was in touch enough to know he had it easy because he saw enough bags to realize he wasn't really a vet beyond the paperwork- So to not even be in country, well, I don't believe there's even a discussion to be had. What he should be saying is he was one of the lucky ones who didn't have to be there.
Old 21 Sep 17, 17:29
Major General
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Often quoted ...

... from Shakespeare's Henry V:

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

Part of King Henry V's response to Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland, 4th Baron Neville de Raby:

"O that we now had here
But one ten thousand of those men in England
That do no work to-day!"

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/henryv/henryv.4.3.html

I believe the first part of this piece has already made an appearance in Burns' "The Vietnam War", but I don't recall the context.

Last edited by Marmat; 21 Sep 17 at 17:34..
Old 21 Sep 17, 18:17
General
United_States

jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700]
jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmat View Post
... from Shakespeare's Henry V:

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

Part of King Henry V's response to Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland, 4th Baron Neville de Raby:

"O that we now had here
But one ten thousand of those men in England
That do no work to-day!"

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/henryv/henryv.4.3.html

I believe the first part of this piece has already made an appearance in Burns' "The Vietnam War", but I don't recall the context.
The mother of the 19 year old who was killed a day after his birthday read that passage to him............
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Sep 17, 18:19
General
United_States

jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo63 View Post
I have a customer who was in-country- He was a combat engineer. He wore a hat one day that I recognized with the SVN flag- so subtle that if you didn't know you wouldn't know- I said hey, I know what that is- so we got to talking about it. He didn't want to act like it was a big deal and told me -Yes I was there- I asked him where, unit detachment all the little clues I needed to find out- He checked out but my point is- He wasn't in combat, he was a remf engineer who knows he was shot at twice for sure but not even sure it was from the enemy but mostly oversaw ARVN ditch diggers ~ he said what he did didn't count and completely downplayed even being there. Now he's a guy who was in touch enough to know he had it easy because he saw enough bags to realize he wasn't really a vet beyond the paperwork- So to not even be in country, well, I don't believe there's even a discussion to be had. What he should be saying is he was one of the lucky ones who didn't have to be there.
It perhaps "survivors guilt".........I have/had it for ages.............
Old 21 Sep 17, 18:23
Major General
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Ooooops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
The mother of the 19 year old who was killed a day after his birthday read that passage to him............
That's it, Mogie Crocker's mom Jean-Marie, shoulda remembered:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...05956#poststop
Old 21 Sep 17, 18:54
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmat View Post
That's it, Mogie Crocker's mom Jean-Marie, shoulda remembered:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...05956#poststop
I have a bad premonition about whats coming.... his sister said talking to a friend of hers after he died that she said something that affected her. I heard this more than once before...............your loved one deserved to die because he should have refused to fight.............
Old 21 Sep 17, 20:56
Major General
Canada

Dunno Jeff, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
I have a bad premonition about whats coming.... his sister said talking to a friend of hers after he died that she said something that affected her. I heard this more than once before...............your loved one deserved to die because he should have refused to fight.............
... I recall the elder sister saying that in the series, I don't think what the friend actually said was ever stipulated in Jean-Marie's book. I do know that one of Mogie's sisters joined the anti-war movement after his death; "deserved to die" is one shitty thing to say, regardless.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!