StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

View Poll Results: Which is the best wargame publisher?
GMT 4 25.00%
Victory Point games 0 0%
Decision Games 2 12.50%
Avalon Hill 10 62.50%
Colombia Games 0 0%
Academy Games 0 0%
Clash of Arms 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Aug 17, 19:39
Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
Why isn't Flames of War ,Bolt Action and Black Powder games being listed in this poll?
Old 04 Sep 17, 02:46
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava188 View Post
Why isn't Flames of War ,Bolt Action and Black Powder games being listed in this poll?
Why Isn't Jumbo, Drie Magier Spiele, 999 Games, White Goblin Games, Hans im Gluck and 500 others not listed in the poll?????

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 07 Sep 17, 23:25
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Me (on right) and Gaz Newton 35 years ago with some of the boardgames we used to play. (If I had to nominate our favourite it'd have to be AH's Russian Campaign)-

Old 08 Sep 17, 01:16
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I had a number of those games! I think I still a bunch of them in storage.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 12 Sep 17, 19:11
Colonel
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
I had a number of those games! I think I still a bunch of them in storage.
Pruitt
Hey I just remembered there was another very big boardgame publisher back in the 70's/early 80's called SPI (Strategic Publications Inc) and I had a couple of dozen of their titles, but according to Wiki they "ran out of cash" which is a bit of a mystery.
Most of their stuff had paper maps instead of proper hard boards, so maybe people preferred the hard boards of AH.
Sponsored Links

Old 12 Sep 17, 19:49
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
One can still get many Strategy and Tactics games. They operate under Decision Games in California now. These folks also offer other people's old games.

Pruitt

Decision Games. I had a problem with Decision Games. I ordered a game from them they sent me an email on July first saying that it had been mailed (without a tracking number). The first week of August it still had not arrived so I wrote them an email telling them that it was late and including the order information. They sent back an automated email saying that my email would be forwarded to the appropriate department and would be responded to within 3 business days. Three weeks later I still haven’t heard from them so I sent off another email explaining everything again including how they had said that I would hear from them in three days. They have responded with yet another automated email telling, which departments get which emails and that they will once again get back to me.

I have decided that since they don’t seem to care if I get the game I will not purchase any more from them.
Old 12 Sep 17, 22:16
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
Hey I just remembered there was another very big boardgame publisher back in the 70's/early 80's called SPI (Strategic Publications Inc) and I had a couple of dozen of their titles, but according to Wiki they "ran out of cash" which is a bit of a mystery.
Most of their stuff had paper maps instead of proper hard boards, so maybe people preferred the hard boards of AH.
SPI explained it a little by saying the AH games were much cheaper to produce. Plastic boxes with inlaid trays were expensive. True they could have saved money on the paper maps. While I bought a number of SPI games (CA!), I could not buy them all. I have a bunch of them in storage. I did lose a few S&T games when I could not get anyone to help me put the old lingerie cabinet which held them to storage.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 18 Sep 17, 09:34
General of the Forums
United_States

Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
SPI had an entirely different business model, not really comparable to AH. Considering that most wargames have always had paper maps vs mounted I'd say that your last statement is not correct.
Of cabbages—and kings—
And why the sea is boiling hot—
And whether pigs have wings.”
― Lewis Carroll
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:02
General of the Forums
United_States

Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Interesting piece by one of SPI designers/employees. The article is about the 'death' of wargaming in the late 1990's (obviously an incorrect conclusion) but it gives a good account of SPI's death. I find the comment on the fact that their 'Folio' games actually lost them money on every sale to be particularly interesting. Not a way to run a business.

http://www.costik.com/spisins.html

Quote:
From 1977 onward, SPI's sales declined, mainly because of mismanagement. The dollar volume remained nearly constant; even in 1981, SPI (not publicly traded) was claiming an annual $2 million in sales, the same figure it had reported as early as 1975. But these were, of course, the years of double-digit inflation, so that SPI's income, in real terms, was declining year by year. In 1980, an internal struggle began at SPI, as many staff members strove to replace Jim Dunnigan as the company's manager. The name of Dunnigan had been virtually synonymous with SPI since its foundation; his personality, vigor, and intelligence had made it a success. Yet, like many entrepreneurs, he proved incapable of managing it as an ongoing business.

One problem was an inattention to marketing. SPI had, in the person of Howie Barasch, a capable marketing manager, but when he left SPI in the late 70s, he was never replaced, with Dunnigan ostensibly assuming his duties. But Dunnigan was overstretched himself, laboring sixty hour weeks keeping the place together and designing a big chunk of SPI's games. When Dunnigan was eventually replaced by Chris Wagner -- S&T's founder, by now a management consultant brought in to try to turn SPI around -- new management discovered that many of SPI's independent commissioned sales reps didn't realize they were still representing the company, and one thought SPI had gone out of business. Nobody had bothered to contact them for years.

Another failing was inadequate attention to financial details. New management discovered that SPI's highly successful line of Capsule games -- small, limited-component products sold for $6 -- actually lost money. Given distributor discounts, $6 would about cover the cost of shipping blank, white boxes without games inside them. The Capsule games had sold very well -- and SPI lost money on every one it sold.

Alas, Dunnigan's ouster came too late. The country was in the throes of a recession, further depressing SPI's sales; the company's cash position continued to deteriorate. Even with $400,000 of venture capital money from Alan Patricof Associates, SPI was unable to make a go of it. After negotiating, unsuccessfully, with Avalon Hill, SPI entered into negotiations with TSR toward a buy-out.
Of cabbages—and kings—
And why the sea is boiling hot—
And whether pigs have wings.”
― Lewis Carroll
Old 19 Sep 17, 01:39
Colonel
UK

Thanks guys, and of course the arrival of computer games in the late 1970's must have been a body blow for boardgames.
My first computer was a Sinclair Spectrum in 1983 and the wargames available for it blew my socks off because I could now play against the computer instead of having to hunt around for boardgame opponents to visit each others homes to play, there were only 3 other boardgamers in my home city and it was no fun having to cycle across town in snowstorms and frosty winters to play them..
PS- re SPI, I especially liked their small "folio" games that needed no plastic tray to hold the counters.
Old 19 Sep 17, 06:31
General of the Forums
Belgium
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Thanks guys, and of course the arrival of computer games in the late 1970's must have been a body blow for boardgames.
Don't know, being born in 1975, I came a bit late for the boardwargames,

but the early computerwargames were very much adaptations of the earlier boardgames, you now shifted "pieces" on a screen instead of table, but the mechanics were all the same, tables and dice rolls.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 07 Oct 17, 18:12
Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
Let's not forget Bolt Action and Flames of War.
Old 12 Oct 17, 00:58
Lieutenant General
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
Don't know, being born in 1975, I came a bit late for the boardwargames,

but the early computerwargames were very much adaptations of the earlier boardgames, you now shifted "pieces" on a screen instead of table, but the mechanics were all the same, tables and dice rolls.
Bite your tongue, Mr Snowy!

You have ten years on me, but there's a huge boardgame renaissance going on at the moment.

Casting a vote for GMT and the excellent COIN games (among many, many others currently on my shelves).
Old 12 Oct 17, 15:07
General of the Forums
EU
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khryses View Post
You have ten years on me, but there's a huge boardgame renaissance going on at the moment.
In all honesty: the Renaissance is over in my opinion. It's been going on for 15 years now. Those that want to hop onto the train of boardgame design...they must do it now.
I'll give it another year or two...then it will be much less. 'Booms' don't last unfortunately!

This year more than 950 new games in Essen. Go figure!

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!