HistoryNet.com RSS
ArmchairGeneral.com RSS

HistoryNet.com Articles
America's Civil War
American History
Aviation History
Civil War Times
MHQ
Military History
Vietnam
Wild West
World War II

ACG Online
ACG Magazine
Stuff We Like
War College
History News
Tactics 101
Carlo D'Este
Books

ACG Gaming
Boardgames
PC Game Reviews

ACG Network
Contact Us
Our Newsletter
Meet Our Staff
Advertise With Us

Sites We Support
HistoryNet.com
StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #406  
Old 05 Jan 17, 06:53
gboue's Avatar
gboue gboue is offline
Sergeant
France
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Paris and Burgundy
Posts: 104
gboue is on the path to success [1-99] gboue is on the path to success [1-99] gboue is on the path to success [1-99] gboue is on the path to success [1-99]
bad spelling

Dear Repd

A "gumbardier" is a musical player of a guimbarde but this sailor
could be a "GABARIER" sailor in charge of steering a small river boat which job is to bring all the goods and impediments to a main ship.

French language is such a mess


Gboue from Paris wishing all of the forumers a happy new year
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 05 Jan 17, 07:39
repd's Avatar
repd repd is offline
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Real Name: Dirk R.
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 1,364
repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99]
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboue View Post
Dear Repd

A "gumbardier" is a musical player of a guimbarde but this sailor
could be a "GABARIER" sailor in charge of steering a small river boat which job is to bring all the goods and impediments to a main ship.

French language is such a mess


Gboue from Paris wishing all of the forumers a happy new year
i think alot of people will have the same problem with the dutch language
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 06 Sep 17, 19:27
alex33's Avatar
alex33 alex33 is offline
Private First Class
Austria
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Vienna
Posts: 25
alex33 is a balanced individual [0]
Has anyone any good book recommendations about british uniforms? I've only seen C.E. franklins book and well this book isn't in print anymore and costs around 600 € =(

Also does anyone know what the left guy is? He kinda looks like an officer but why does he wear a scots greys bearskin cap?
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 06 Sep 17, 21:14
lcm1's Avatar
lcm1 lcm1 is offline
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Perth
Posts: 14,713
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
Has anyone any good book recommendations about british uniforms? I've only seen C.E. franklins book and well this book isn't in print anymore and costs around 600 € =(

Also does anyone know what the left guy is? He kinda looks like an officer but why does he wear a scots greys bearskin cap?
Well he has got three stripes up, just got to be a sergeant. A good Sergeant was held in high regard particularly a Colours Sergeant. Even in modern days, I have seen them correct a Junior officer! I would say he was in the 'Lancers' and The Busby was worn by a variety of Regiments. I have been told by a guy that was in the Grenadiers that it is a form of busby because of the fur. lcm1
__________________
'By Horse by Tram'.


I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Last edited by lcm1; 06 Sep 17 at 21:42..
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 06 Sep 17, 22:33
Massena's Avatar
Massena Massena is online now
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 
 
Real Name: Kevin F. Kiley
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 16,582
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The uniform plate pictured is from the book The Thin Red Line by the Fostens published in 1989.

The two central figures on the plate are infantrymen: a sergeant of the grenadier company of the 2d Foot in full dress on the left, and a sergeant of the light infantry company of the 3d Foot in service dress on the right.

The plate is on page 45 of the book and is numbered as Plate X. The commentary explaining the plate is on pages 44 and 47.

The title of Plate X is: 1812-1815 Infantry of the Line: Flank Companies: Non-Commissioned Officers and Privates.

The figure in question is wearing a grenadier fur cap and is carrying a spontoon, which is his badge of rank along with the waist sash and the full dress sword.

The book itself is excellent but, curiously, does not have any uniforms depicting units in the War of the American Revolution. I thought that odd, as it does have uniforms of the French and Indian War/Seven Years' War period.
__________________
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

  #411  
Old 06 Sep 17, 22:51
Dibble201Bty's Avatar
Dibble201Bty Dibble201Bty is offline
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: Paul B
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Albans
Posts: 10,954
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

The depiction in the picture above is of a Grenadier company Sergeant of the 2nd (Queens Royal) Regiment in full dress 1812-15

Plate X that is in your post can be found in 'The Thin Red Line' Uniforms of the British Army between 1751 & 1914. By D.S.V & B.K. Fosten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...+1751+%26+1914

The cheapest C.E. Franklin book I have found is selling for £135.00 on Abe Books.

there's one 2nd edition selling on the U.S Abe site for a whopping £ 2,290.44 or US$ 2899.99

Paul
__________________
‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
All human ills he can subdue,
Or with a bauble or medal
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 06 Sep 17 at 22:57..
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 08 Sep 17, 10:22
alex33's Avatar
alex33 alex33 is offline
Private First Class
Austria
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Vienna
Posts: 25
alex33 is a balanced individual [0]
Cool thank you! Still hard to find anything "cheaper" on the british army that covers that much stuff.

Now i have some questions regarding the Russian Guard/Line Cavalry:
It's hard to come by this information but there are 3 distinct cavalry regiments that have different symbols on their helmet and or shabrack: the Chevalier Guard, the Lifeguard Horse Regiment, and the Military Order Cuirassier Regiment. In 1813 the His Majesty Life Cuirassiers (Line) were promoted to young guard status as the Lifeguard Cuirassiers I think somewhere at that time or later the Her Majesty variant of the cuirassiers was also promoted.

The book of Alexander Viskovatov describes the helmet of the Line Cuirassiers as having a double headed eagle on it. Did the His/Her Majestys Cuirassiers get a new helmet with the guard star after the promotion to the guard? They seemed to already have the star on the shabrack but on newer stuff they had the Imperial Monogram on it. Also, does anyone have any plates or pictures of the Chevalier/Horseguard Helmets? They seem to have a Guardstar on the Helmet. Does anyone know the Uniform and color difference between the Russian Old Guard and Young Guard Heavy Cav? Their Facings and Shabracks seem to have the same color?

Also, something I don't quite get are the Life garde Cossacks they are part of the Imperial Guard but some websites mention Lifeguard Ural,Black Sea etc Cossacks as line Cav. What are those? Are they also "Red" Guard Cossacks or are they like the normal cossacks?
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 08 Sep 17, 10:45
Dibble201Bty's Avatar
Dibble201Bty Dibble201Bty is offline
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: Paul B
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Albans
Posts: 10,954
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
The uniform plate pictured is from the book The Thin Red Line by the Fostens published in 1989.

The two central figures on the plate are infantrymen: a sergeant of the grenadier company of the 2d Foot in full dress on the left, and a sergeant of the light infantry company of the 3d Foot in service dress on the right.
Just to highlight that the figure on the right belongs to the 53rd (Shropshire ) Regiment of Foot. I'm sure it was an unintentional omission of the '5' but the error still needs to be highlighted

Paul
__________________
‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
All human ills he can subdue,
Or with a bauble or medal
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 08 Sep 17, 10:48
Dibble201Bty's Avatar
Dibble201Bty Dibble201Bty is offline
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: Paul B
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Albans
Posts: 10,954
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
Cool thank you! Still hard to find anything "cheaper" on the british army that covers that much stuff.

Now i have some questions regarding the Russian Guard/Line Cavalry:
It's hard to come by this information but there are 3 distinct cavalry regiments that have different symbols on their helmet and or shabrack: the Chevalier Guard, the Lifeguard Horse Regiment, and the Military Order Cuirassier Regiment. In 1813 the His Majesty Life Cuirassiers (Line) were promoted to young guard status as the Lifeguard Cuirassiers I think somewhere at that time or later the Her Majesty variant of the cuirassiers was also promoted.

The book of Alexander Viskovatov describes the helmet of the Line Cuirassiers as having a double headed eagle on it. Did the His/Her Majestys Cuirassiers get a new helmet with the guard star after the promotion to the guard? They seemed to already have the star on the shabrack but on newer stuff they had the Imperial Monogram on it. Also, does anyone have any plates or pictures of the Chevalier/Horseguard Helmets? They seem to have a Guardstar on the Helmet. Does anyone know the Uniform and color difference between the Russian Old Guard and Young Guard Heavy Cav? Their Facings and Shabracks seem to have the same color?

Also, something I don't quite get are the Life garde Cossacks they are part of the Imperial Guard but some websites mention Lifeguard Ural,Black Sea etc Cossacks as line Cav. What are those? Are they also "Red" Guard Cossacks or are they like the normal cossacks?
I am not as good with the Russian army as I am the British, French etc. But I'm sure that someone may be along and answer your questions.

These may help

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/0...-army-of-1812/

Have a look through these sites.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Hi...ZjVY5-8g0iBDM:

Paul
__________________
‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
All human ills he can subdue,
Or with a bauble or medal
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 08 Sep 17 at 10:54..
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 08 Sep 17, 10:48
Massena's Avatar
Massena Massena is online now
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 
 
Real Name: Kevin F. Kiley
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 16,582
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
Just to highlight that the figure on the right belongs to the 53rd (Shropshire ) Regiment of Foot. I'm sure it was an unintentional omission of the '5' but the error still needs to be highlighted
Thanks and good catch. And, yes, of course, the error was unintentional. Why would it be otherwise?
__________________
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 03 Dec 17, 22:11
Soviet_Prussian's Avatar
Soviet_Prussian Soviet_Prussian is offline
Recruit
Australia
 
Real Name: Tully Russell
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Doonan
Posts: 3
Soviet_Prussian is a balanced individual [0]
I am Working on some 28mm British infantry from the Waterloo campaign. I am painting them as the coldstream guards however I've ran into a problem. how are the flank companies distinguished from one another, the models have shako covers so the plume isn't present and as far as i know the light company and grenadier companies wore dark blur facings the same as the centre companies.
If anyone knows please reply

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old Yesterday, 01:08
Dibble201Bty's Avatar
Dibble201Bty Dibble201Bty is offline
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: Paul B
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Albans
Posts: 10,954
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet_Prussian View Post
I am Working on some 28mm British infantry from the Waterloo campaign. I am painting them as the coldstream guards however I've ran into a problem. how are the flank companies distinguished from one another, the models have shako covers so the plume isn't present and as far as i know the light company and grenadier companies wore dark blur facings the same as the centre companies.
If anyone knows please reply

Thanks in advance.
If they all have shako covers you should perhaps have an officer or senior N.C.O without a waterproof covered shako on both flanks to symbolise the Grenadier and Light companies. Centre companies had blue edged white lace shoulder-straps with a white tuft at the end. From 1809, The Flank companies had blue edged white shoulder-straps with elite blue laced white crescents with a white fringe on the outer curve.

click on the link below, then scroll down to a 1/6th scale model of a Coldstream Guardsman. It is a very good depiction.

http://www.accionunoseis.org/search....or=Tony+Barton

Paul
__________________
‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
All human ills he can subdue,
Or with a bauble or medal
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!


Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.