StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 05 Aug 13, 01:41
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Axis and Allies 1914

Iíve always appreciated the study of WWI far more than WWII. Part of it is just being fascinated with the late 19th, early 20th century in general, part of it was the cool looking fighter planes, and part of it was the technological innovation. I always wanted to have a board game on it. Sadly, Avalon Hill died before I could score a copy of Guns of August and itís successor company, Avalon Hill Hasbro thinks history started and ended with WWII.

Until recently.

About a month ago I came across the absurdly priced Axis and Allies 1914. Priced at $100, this is a game designed to simulate the war debt at a household level. But I was doing good financially and a WWI game appealed to me greatly so I forked over about 20 less and got it off Amazon. Now it was just a question of whether the quality would live up to itís price tag.

The Gameplay:

1914 works pretty much like the regular A&A. Invade, slug it out, roll dice for units. But with some changes. First, combat only occurs for one round like Guadalcanal. One exchange and then itís over unless itís naval or aerial. Second, combined arms is a little more encourageable since arty and aircraft not only shoot individually, but boost other units. And that will come in handy because that 1 round of fire rule is designed to simulate trench warfare and this game will take for freaking ever if youíre not careful (or too careful)

The Board and Pieces:

As is to be expected with A&A the board and the gaming pieces are pretty sexy. Africa is a little squashed but that is inevitable. Unfortunately the game has the one downside of the board being too damn big. It comes in handy for space but it creates a couple of problems. First, you have to stretch or practically stand if youíre short to reach the other side. If you do invade deep, your back will be hurting. Second, the game is almost impossible to shuffle. This game is garanteed to consume at least a day if not more yet it is so huge, you canít find a place in your average house where it can be set up and left out unless you have a purpose built gaming table and a big one at that.

My friends and I experimented with using the Diplomacy board though. It almost worked but was a little too small.

Historicity:

The game fudges history in one major respect. When the game begins, Italy starts out swinging for the allies. And while this may appear at face value to be a gimme to help the allies out on the gameplay front, Italy starts out weak. Instead of having a year to build up her army and then the option of choosing sides, Italy is thrown into the mix with pants about ankles, which frequently results in her becoming Austriaís prison fraulein. In short, Italy is a walking liability. I recommend house rules.

Parts:

The gameís biggest problem is a lack of parts. Counters run out fast but that problem is easily solved with pennies and dimes. Not so easily solved are the pieces. Map spanning countries like England will be perpetually short on available pieces to crew all their territories.

Overall:

The game has itís good points to be sure, but as many bad ones to offset it. As far as whether itís worth the purchase, not really. For an even 100, not even having the common courtesy to provide you with enough parts is a big detractor. Unless you can find it on sale for $50 or preferably less, Iíd advise all but the most diehard and wealthy WWI aficionados to steer clear. You just donít get quality sufficient to match the price. I liked the gameplay, I liked the parts, but not enough to appreciate the loss of $100 and the parts shortage and strained shoulders that came with it.

Sexy box art but that's likely 50% of what you're playing for. Summed up in one word, my review is "meh".

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 07 Apr 17, 11:04
Private
Canada

crimhead is a balanced individual [0]
Originally I poo-pood this game out of principle. There were no "Axis" powers in WWI. Branding this an Axis & Allies game seemed a cheap attempt to capitalize on A&As established popularity (kind of like the new Star Wars "Risk" game).

Still, It seems terribly stubborn to boycott a game because of its title! As I'm getting a little more back into A&A lately, I find myself reconsidering.

You can buy extra pieces online, but that's expensive of course. Maybe I'll find this cheap someday.

Edit - for the record, AH under Hasbro has published Battle Cry, History Of The World, and Diplomacy, all of which have historic interest.

Last edited by crimhead; 07 Apr 17 at 12:29..
Old 07 Apr 17, 18:51
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimhead View Post
Originally I poo-pood this game out of principle. There were no "Axis" powers in WWI. Branding this an Axis & Allies game seemed a cheap attempt to capitalize on A&As established popularity (kind of like the new Star Wars "Risk" game).

Still, It seems terribly stubborn to boycott a game because of its title! As I'm getting a little more back into A&A lately, I find myself reconsidering.

You can buy extra pieces online, but that's expensive of course. Maybe I'll find this cheap someday.

Edit - for the record, AH under Hasbro has published Battle Cry, History Of The World, and Diplomacy, all of which have historic interest.
Agreed. The use of the term "Axis" is an enormous anachronism when applied to WW1, and if the makers can't that right then you have to wonder what else is amiss: Von Richthofen flying a Focke-Wulfe 190 ?
Old 08 Apr 17, 10:00
Private
Canada

crimhead is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELGRAVE View Post
Agreed. The use of the term "Axis" is an enormous anachronism when applied to WW1, and if the makers can't that right then you have to wonder what else is amiss: Von Richthofen flying a Focke-Wulfe 190 ?
To be fair I strongly suspect this was a decision made by Corporate Hasbro and likely does not reflect the mentality of the design and development teams.

Probably Hasbro believed (correctly) that an "Axis & Allies" title would yield more sales than a name like The Great War, or The War to End All Wars.
Was a time when Hasbro was a little more bold with the AH line. We got new games like Queen's Gambit, Nexus Ops, Battle Cry etc.

Past ten years or so Hasbro won't take risks. They've done some reprints, but they refuse to publish a new title that doesn't have "Axis & Allies" printed on the box.

This shouldn't bother me, but it does a little.
Old 08 Apr 17, 11:33
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimhead View Post
Probably Hasbro believed (correctly) that an "Axis & Allies" title would yield more sales than a name like The Great War, or The War to End All Wars.
Past ten years or so Hasbro won't take risks. They've done some reprints, but they refuse to publish a new title that doesn't have "Axis & Allies" printed on the box.
Yeah, sometimes that corporate stuff just blows my mind...I guess it must be me, but I usually don't understand their strategy and tactics.
And too afraid to take risks? They usually have poor insights...they spend the money on beautiful box art and hope that with the title of 'Axis & Allies' that it will sell Nope. The game get's a bad rating everywhere.
Talking about taking risks...somebody has no clue of how it really works in the world.

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 08 Apr 17, 16:22
General of the Forums
Pirate

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I recently purchased the WWI edition of Quartermaster General. I enjoyed it much more than this and the game is more compact and playable.
Old 20 Aug 17, 18:18
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
Isn't Axis and Allies supposed to be a WW2 strategy game.
Old 20 Aug 17, 18:46
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava188 View Post
Isn't Axis and Allies supposed to be a WW2 strategy game.
They made a number of spinoffs.
Old 25 Aug 17, 19:46
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
I occasionally visited this one gaming store at one of malls in Tucson where Axis and Allies had these Secret orders in these large envelopes. Are they still available?
Old 25 Aug 17, 22:55
General of the Forums
Pirate

That I do not know.

Old 26 Aug 17, 17:29
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
A&A is the only such board game I have owed. Bought it away back when it first came out. Tossed it literally after the second set up. Life is to short to spend the time setting them up.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 31 Aug 17, 18:40
Major
United_States

Flames of War also has some WWI game pieces.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!