StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

View Poll Results: Which Unit level do you recommend for me?
Regimental Level or above 4 57.14%
Battalion Level 2 28.57%
Company Level and below 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Nov 16, 04:36
Lance Corporal
Australia

LieutenantIvan is on the path to success [1-99]
Which Napoleonic Wargame should I Play?

Allo,
Wes geo hal!

It has been a while since I have been on this site.
As some may now, I have been active in historical modelling of various periods such as the Napoleonic Wars, WW2, Medieval or WW1.

I have been thinking about getting involved in some wargaming with figures. Mainly Napoleonic period. However, I am not sure which ruleset to start with. I mainly want something easy to learn for beginners, not too long gameplay, a decent figure to men ratio (preferably the more whole, the better) and joy.

I have taken some research of this site:
http://www.napoleonguide.com/miniatures_rules.htm

Unit Level:
The main decision is which unit level should I go with; even the term unit level needs some clarifying. For example, when it is battalion level, is it that each unit is a battalion?

If so, I am not sure to go either company, battalion or regiment level, (anything above would be too big). By the situation I am in, it seems I may have to go with battalion of company as a result of the number of figures I have is not many. So my main question is which should I go in out of either company or battalion level that is not too figure hungry.

Two Rulesets:
I have heavily researched into the 'Old Trousers' ruleset, because the rules are free, and it is battalion level. Also, I have been interested in Fields of Glory and Shako II.

Baisngs:
The largest difficulty would be the basing system and figure to men ratio to use. 'Old Trousers' recommends two per base 1 figure per 60 men; therefore, a base would make a company, (because 2x60 is 120, about an average company size). My question is is there any requirement for 'Old Trousers' to alternate your bases with different poses; for example, I have a grenadier battalion, I ordered them to fire, so I swap the figure from standing pose to firing pose?, because I know some war games recommend that.

Conclusion:
So if you can just recommend or suggest a unit level for my situation, that is beginner at not many figures.

Thanks in advance,

Wes geo hal, maeg dryhten beof mid geo!
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 18 Nov 16, 07:52
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutenantIvan View Post

Unit Level:
The main decision is which unit level should I go with; even the term unit level needs some clarifying. For example, when it is battalion level, is it that each unit is a battalion?
Bat level means you fight with/command a battalion.

The higher unit level you chose, the more challenging and interesting it gets.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 18 Nov 16, 15:21
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]

I'm not even going to answer that one

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 18 Nov 16, 16:34
Lance Corporal
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratego View Post

I'm not even going to answer that one

Greets,
Stratego
Thou do not have to answer if it is going to cause some upset.

Old 19 Nov 16, 02:58
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
the best Napoleonic boardgame currently on the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutenantIvan View Post
Thou do not have to answer if it is going to cause some upset.

Au contraire:

Here at ACG's were honored with the company of many talented men and women
one of which is Stratego, the developer of what I, and many with me, consider to be the best Napoleonic wargame currently available:

"Stratego Waterloo".

In terms of playability, authenticity and excitement 'Stratego Waterloo' is the non plus ultra of Napoleonic Wargaming.

Google it, or try this link

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...atego-waterloo

try it out and judge for yourself

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 19 Nov 16 at 05:27.. Reason: adding title
Old 19 Nov 16, 05:06
Brigadier General
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200]
Hey Ivan!

You are from DUNGOG....is that DOUG WALTERS hometown?

They used to call him "Dungog Doug"

For the topic, I used to play boardgames, but living in darwin all my gaming freinds moved away ot had kids, so I switched to computers, but really could not recapture the magic of a good boardgaming night with my mates.

We used to play Avalon Hills "War & Peace" quite a lot...the campaign game mind you, and leave it set up from week to week.We preferred 'simpler' games, where we didn't have to spend all night arguing over a poorly written set of rules.

I purchaced a game called "The Struggle of Nations" which for the pure simulationist is probably the perfect Naploeanic boardgame.

There wasn't much that was really outstanding in boardgames for this gnere. miniatures are the way to go, but I could never be bothered painting all the figures, and you dont get an opponent at a club if youve just lined your figures up and spray painted them!

Anyhow, I just read books these days, type articles for this website, and play but a single computer game, (Ubisofts "Silent Hunter 4- wolves of the Pacific". Computers do certain types of gaming much better than board games, and a computer submarine simuklator IMOH, is far superior. I can run it "real time" if I want to, and go off and do some house chores, or take a break, and still be coming playing the game when i sit down again. a little period music for background...perfect!

Christopher
Old 22 Nov 16, 22:50
Lance Corporal
Australia

Basing System

The main question I have is basing figures on stands.

Introduction:
If I was to play Old Trousers rule set, or any other battalion level rule set, it recommends, or at least conventionally, two or three figures per stand. The recommended figure to men ratio is 1:60; therefore, a stand would be a company. Since a battalion is a unit, a unit would be four stands.

I am mainly thinking of starting out with my 1/72 scale Italeri Russian Grenadiers which I will form as the Pavlovsky regiment, my favorite. I am then thinking of using a mixture of Italeri, Zvezda and maybe Blackpowder, if my hobby store has some.

The my Pavlovsky regiment is formed up of:
6 standing shooting
6 kneeling shooting
3 standing reloading
3 kneeling reloading
3 standing repelling (against cavalry)
3 kneeling repelling
6 marching
6 half marching / half standing
3 standing
6 charging
1 drummer
1 fifer
1 NCO wielding an axe like pike weapon
1 standing with his musket rested on the ground (I presume he is NCO?)
1 CO

So, what I have planned, is a stand would have 1 figure standing and shooting and another kneeling and shooting. This would give me 6 stands. If I have three for each battalion, leaving one company short, and add a 'command' company stand with an CO or NCO. This will form two battalions. Also, would it be required to have a battalion commander? In the Old Trousers rule set, it states a corps, division and brigade commanders.

The main issue I have is how to use the other poses I have. Do war-games require alternating poses. For example, when the unit moves, the figures are marching pose; then when firing, I swap the stands with figures that are shooting. Is this necessary? If not, what pose should I have as standard, or should I mix up the poses to increase number of stands which would look very untidy.

If I was to have a marching/standing pose, I would form a stand to have a marching figure and a half marching, half standing figure. This will give me six stand again to use for two battalions.

Conclusion:
These situations and decisions may seem easy for you, but from a beginner's point of view, I need guidance in what to start with basing systems.

Thanks in advance,

Wes thu hal, Maeg dryhten beof mid geo!
Old 04 Dec 16, 01:05
Lance Corporal
Australia

Basing

Sorry if this is spamming but I really need to know what should, before this thread dies of interest.
Old 10 Feb 17, 00:54
Colonel
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Tsk tsk

Okay mate your going about it all wrong but don't worry everyone
Makes the same mistake.
1.scale; don't think of how big the figs are but how much your willing pay for trees! I know it sounds strange but trees cost a bomb.
2. Figs; don't bother with those plastics I'd spend the money on metal they generally have better poses "for wargaming" and generally packs come I the same poses and separate command sets plus wider ranges.
Old 11 Feb 17, 15:12
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Definitely a regimental game.

I agree, don't use the soft plastic figures. They're a PITA to keep looking nice. Unless you want to spend the extra time going down to a plastics wholesaler and getting a good mold release cleaning agent and the correct primer (used with glue but here you're just using it to make the paint adhere) to use on them, you really waste your time painting them. The paint comes off the first time you touch them otherwise.
Sponsored Links

Old 29 Aug 17, 19:17
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
How long have you been playing? Have you tried Warlord games Black Powder series?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!