StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Closed Thread

Old 08 Aug 17, 21:59
Private First Class
Italy

Reckall has disabled reputation
Well, the relationship between Matrix and WarfareSims has always been strange. For example, as soon as Command was published they spiked Harpoon by putting it in the "Current Games" section of their forum (among dozens and dozens of others). This even if games like War in the Pacific: AE, published in 2009, are still in the "New Releases" (!) "prestige" section.

Ironically, they did this after a real military sale: in 2012 the Colombian Navy had bought Harpoon for training purposes! The lack of "Pomp and Circumstance" surrounding this promotional success was deafening.

Also, what was the need to spike Harpoon in the first place? Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa didn't sink "Gary Grigsby's War in the West". "Polaris Sector" didn't sink "Distant Worlds". And so on.

Sometimes I think that Matrix's infatuation with "Command" is just that: like those dysfunctional relationships that one part is unable to terminate - or that are still seen with rose-tinted lens even if the reality is quite different.

True, thanks to "Command" Matrix was able to *present* a possible training product to the Pentagon.

But... Lo! Thanks to my writing for Assassin's Creed: Revelation I was actually *accepted* in the Writers Guild of America (West) and I even got a nomination for best scriptwriting (new media). I didn't "present" my work and then I acted like if the above "happened". I now have my card, my official nomination, and I even moved on (to winning the Readers' Choice Award 2016 for Best Comic-Book here in Italy).

Who knows... maybe, hadn't Matrix spiked "Harpoon", but had they shopped it around, along with "Command", the opportunities to get a government contract would have been doubled. We will never know.

Or, to put it better: Matrix will never know.
Old 12 Aug 17, 08:38
Colonel
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Just to clarify something-
the "ships won't turn to defend themselves" flaw which I illustrated earlier is still there in Chains of War which uses the latest super duper v 1.12.6 engine (1 Aug 2017).
And because I ruthlessly analyse and dissect every game I come into contact with, it's possible that the flaw goes unnoticed by casual players, and even by some developers, which is why they're arguing with me.
What's probably confusing them is the fact that when they hear the rat-a-tat of point-defence guns firing, (machinegun/gatling/or fast-firing cannon etc) they wrongly assume that ALL the point-def guns are firing.
For example if a vessel has a p-def gun on the front decking, and another on the rear decking, the only one that'll fire is the one that's got the target in its arc of fire (i.e. not blocked by the vessels superstructure). The other gun won't fire.
In real life, vessels TURN to bring both guns arcs to bear on the target, but that's not happening in CMANO/Inferno/Chains, they just steam straight on like sitting ducks.
Therefore it's a major game flaw, and as Matrix are saying they fixed it, they're very much mistaken.
Hey Matrix, I'm glad to help you, so might I suggest a possible remedy which I've mentioned before, namely make the guns fire regardless of whether the target is in their arc. We can therefore "imagine" the ship is turning abstractedly, even though we wouldn't see them turning on the screen.
If I remember correctly, that's the approach used by the old Harpoon series and it worked fine.
(Meanwhile it'd help if we knew what the firing arcs for all the ships weapons were, so does anybody know if there's an add-on mod showing the arcs in top-down view diagrammatic form? I can't find one in the game data files or am I looking in the wrong place?)

PS- The Game>Scoring>Losses and Expenditures screen (below) is very useful in our detective work for finding out what weapons fired.
In this example I manually turned my Blue vessel to open its gun arc, and as you can see, it fired several 57mm bursts, but note the Red vessels gun didn't fire because the AI didn't turn it-

Hey everybody, remember to make full use of the game editor to set up small test games, but newcomers should note that Chains has NO editor; you have to have CMANO installed in order to edit Chains.

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 12 Aug 17 at 10:14..
Old 12 Aug 17, 20:48
Brigadier General
Canada

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
it's possible that the flaw goes unnoticed by casual players, and even by some developers, which is why they're arguing with me.
No, they deny because the bug makes them look stupid. Their failure to identify and fix it before throwing the game at the unsuspecting public simply highlights their incompetence. Should they be able to fix it, that is the only time they will acknowledge its existence. Until then, "it's not their fault", since the bug 'does not exist'.

You should have seen what happened when the Big Black Box of Death (tm) was exposed.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...te#Post3853433

The developer desperately tried to pretend that the BBBoD did not exist. "Where is it? Where is it?!" Or that it was somehow a good thing to have the BBBoD covering half your map and hiding your units.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...te#Post3853453

So, after the entire internet wargame community laughed at them for over two years, they finally fixed it the way Harpoon had it, by making it optional.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 14 Aug 17, 12:41
Colonel
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
..Should they be able to fix it, that is the only time they will acknowledge its existence. Until then, "it's not their fault", since the bug 'does not exist'.
Good point, that would explain why earlier this month Sunburn at first admitted in the Matrix forum there was a "ships won't turn" flaw when he said-
"So it appears there is a bug in the unmasking logic....we will need to investigate this further...Thank you for bringing this to our attention"

Yet big boss McNeil then said 3 days later-
"..this issue was resolved as far as the team are concerned a couple of years ago...we may come back to re-look at some point, but it's a minor issue", then he locked the Matrix thread!

So it seems Sunburn and the team have decided they don't know how to fix it (or else they decided it would take too much work to fix), so they told Big Mac it was only a "minor issue", and he swallowed it!

Incidentally I found the bug within an hour or two of getting the game over a year ago, it was an absolute game-killer so I abandoned the game.
I reinstalled it recently to see if they'd fixed it, but no, they haven't fixed it and and it's also in Inferno and Chains.
I say again to Matrix, I'm glad to help you with my feedback, I've been playtesting games for 40 years and have been around..

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 14 Aug 17 at 12:52..
Old 15 Aug 17, 02:21
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Incidentally I found the bug within an hour or two of getting the game over a year ago, it was an absolute game-killer so I abandoned the game.
Er, why did it take you so long to find a bug in MNO?

Both Lightning and I found the "Planes would not RtB and land" bug within an hour. (I did it in less than 30 minutes.)

Quote:
There are numerous issues that have been encountered by several people including me where you have planes that do not RTB
http://steamcommunity.com/id/967224_...mended/614130/

Of course, we both actually tried to play the wretched game. It is obvious that the developers did not even bother to load the game once before trying to swindle unsuspecting victims.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 15 Aug 17, 12:52
Colonel
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
..Both Lightning and I found the "Planes would not RtB and land" bug within an hour. (I did it in less than 30 minutes.)
Haha yes, CMANO/Inferno/Chains have got more bugs than fleas on a hound dawg's back!
So, unbelievable as it sounds there's currently NO decent operational/strategic level modern naval wargame on the market (unless I've missed seeing any)!
Dear old Fleet Command is still my favourite (I can just about live with its fewer bugs), and I recently tried Naval War Arctic Circle which has some bugs too but I can't live with its arcadey 3D missile-launch graphics, and it also keeps crashing to desktop, grrrrr...
Cold Waters is okay but it's a small scale tactical-level "sub simulator", and Dangerous Waters is also okay but is a tac-level "ship simulator", whereas in both cases I prefer slightly larger-scale levels involving groups of subs/ships/planes all knitting together as a team.
If there's one regret I have in life it's the fact that I've always been a PC dummy, I tried learning programming years ago but just couldn't do it, otherwise I'd have written best-selling games and been a millionnaire by now!
PS- HEY, if there are any geeks out there, let's team up, I'll create sh*t-hot games and you can put them into computer language, then we'll laugh all the way to the bank..

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 15 Aug 17 at 13:07..
Old 16 Aug 17, 09:32
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
I recently tried Naval War Arctic Circle which has some bugs too but I can't live with its arcadey 3D missile-launch graphics, and it also keeps crashing to desktop, grrrrr...
NWAC is pretty much a twitch game. I have managed to play every scenario available for it, because I strictly adhere to the bug avoidance principles. I posted details to this video:

I am not certain if all the techniques are still possible, but I know that I can still play even the largest scenarios as long as you follow the principles.

Quote:
If there's one regret I have in life it's the fact that I've always been a PC dummy, I tried learning programming years ago but just couldn't do it, otherwise I'd have written best-selling games and been a millionnaire by now!
PS- HEY, if there are any geeks out there, let's team up, I'll create sh*t-hot games and you can put them into computer language, then we'll laugh all the way to the bank..
Or, you can do like others and just take a copy of existing source code like Harpoon3 to build your own game.

You certainly could not do any worse than a disaster like MNO.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 21 Aug 17, 11:20
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Your Attention Please

If this sort of discussion interests you, you may wish to register here - http://www.apa.org/

Since this thread is no longer about the game(s) please start a new one if you wish to discuss the relative merits, tactics, scenarios, new releases, and what not of your respective titles.

Thank You,

Gary C.
Forum Administrator

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Closed Thread

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!