StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 24 Jul 17, 20:15
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Best for E books?

I have accumulated a fair number of PDF copies of books on WW1 and WW2 subjects , some are quite big (600 pages plus). Currently I view them on my desk top but I need them to be portable (a library in my briefcase). I am reasonably IT savvy having worked with computers since the 60s. I need to acquire a tablet or e reader device. I don't want to have to muck about with Kindle or I pad and just want to be able to load them on using a USB stick. My eyesight is not what it was but still works reasonably well so a large screen would be useful and one I can use in a variety of lighting conditions. I don't need the device to do anything else clever -just act as a book. My budget is not endless but I'm not down to eating dog food yet so cost is not an unsurmountable barrier, Any suggestions folks?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 24 Jul 17, 20:40
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
I could make your problem worse...

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/NHC/NewPDFs/

As for actual reading, I use a laptop and Acrobat.
Old 24 Jul 17, 22:22
Staff Sergeant
United_States

OttoHarkaman is on the path to success [1-99] OttoHarkaman is on the path to success [1-99]
I read a lot of books off my Android phone using my favorite app Moon+ Reader Pro. Handles epub, PDF, CBR etc. with ease.
Old 25 Jul 17, 17:34
Captain
United_States

Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99]
Not a cheap alternative, but there are older model Ipads that would fit the bill quite nicely....(Ibooks)
Old 25 Jul 17, 19:05
Staff Sergeant
United_States

OttoHarkaman is on the path to success [1-99] OttoHarkaman is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Holliday View Post
Not a cheap alternative, but there are older model Ipads that would fit the bill quite nicely....(Ibooks)
Actually my stepmom gave me her first generation ipad a couple years ago and I do use it for that. Can't update much of the software but the Adobe and built in Epub work fine, so far.
Old 25 Jul 17, 19:19
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Software - I already use Foxit in preference to Adobe. I have a lap top but its still bulkier than I want and the screens essentially the wrong dimensions and I also have an Android phone but the screen's really too small. - see my OP - a tablet as close to book size as possible is what I want and one with a USB port and one that doesn't require me to use its own proprietary e book format to load my books off a USB stick so Kindle and I pad ae out. Oh and I'd like to be able to read in bright sunlight when I need to. Doesn't have to do anything else.
Old 26 Jul 17, 00:43
Second Lieutenant
United_States

taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99]
I've used a Nexus 7 (7 inch screen) for several years to read some pdfs. I have to use it in landscape view to get a readable size. It is adequate as a pdf reader, but I would recommend that you get a tablet with a minimum screen size of 8 inches and a resolution no lower than 1280 by 800 (same resolution as my Nexus).

The best way to transfer pdfs from your computer to your tablet is by connecting them with an appropriate usb cable. You do not need a tablet with full size usb since the cables have connectors with a micro-usb on one end and a full size usb on the other. Here is an example: USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro B Cable

I would not dismiss the Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet. It has an 8 inch screen and a 1280 by 800 resolution that is good enough to read with for an extended period. It has a very good price. The Amazon readers come with a charger and the cable can be used to connect to your charger or to your computer to transfer pdfs.

If you want to read in the sunlight then you need an e-ink reader that is large enough to show them and the current 6 inch e-ink readers are not large enough. There are a few large e-ink readers (with more coming), but they are expensive.

Good luck
Old 26 Jul 17, 05:58
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco View Post
I've used a Nexus 7 (7 inch screen) for several years to read some pdfs. I have to use it in landscape view to get a readable size. It is adequate as a pdf reader, but I would recommend that you get a tablet with a minimum screen size of 8 inches and a resolution no lower than 1280 by 800 (same resolution as my Nexus).

The best way to transfer pdfs from your computer to your tablet is by connecting them with an appropriate usb cable. You do not need a tablet with full size usb since the cables have connectors with a micro-usb on one end and a full size usb on the other. Here is an example: USB 2.0 A-Male to Micro B Cable

I would not dismiss the Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet. It has an 8 inch screen and a 1280 by 800 resolution that is good enough to read with for an extended period. It has a very good price. The Amazon readers come with a charger and the cable can be used to connect to your charger or to your computer to transfer pdfs.

If you want to read in the sunlight then you need an e-ink reader that is large enough to show them and the current 6 inch e-ink readers are not large enough. There are a few large e-ink readers (with more coming), but they are expensive.

Good luck
Thanks for this I was thinking about the Onyx BOOX N96ML 9.7 Inch 16G E-Ink Display Frontlight E-book Reader but everyone seems to be out of stock and also I can't find out if I can load my own PDF collection directly - having to buy everything through the suppliers store is a no no - I already have a three figure number of PDFs some of which will not be generally available. I start my 2nd MA in September (WW2 studies) and most are relevant to this. I have a 64 gig stick that has a standard USB plug on one end and a micro USB on the other
Old 26 Jul 17, 13:53
General of the Forums
UK

I'm going for the KOBO - Aura ONE eReader - it has a 7.8 screen with e ink
Old 27 Jul 17, 10:13
Second Lieutenant
United_States

taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
I'm going for the KOBO - Aura ONE eReader - it has a 7.8 screen with e ink
Looks like a good choice. After you've tried it come back and give a review of it.

Old 27 Jul 17, 14:00
Brigadier General
United_States

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Sorry this is so late but I failed to see this thread until today.

Several years ago I purchased an Acer Iconia Tab A200 to read PC game manuals that were in .pdf format. Two primary considerations were that it had a 10.1" screen and a USB port. A big plus was that it also displayed graphic files. It served the purpose I purchased it for.

I don't know if that is what you had in mind, but I thought it would at least provide you some food for thought.

Good luck!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!