StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > World History Group Welcomes You! > World History Group Magazines > Vietnam Magazine

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam Magazine Discuss magazine articles and issues here.

Old 05 Jul 17, 12:47
Private First Class
United_States

JOLLYROGERS is on the path to success [1-99]
"Born In The USA"

Quite sure many posters here heard"Born In The USA"song by Bruce(the Boss)Springsteen.
His song is played all over where July 4th. celebrations takes place. What rattles me is the song"is not"a Patriotic song. In the song he says"got into a hometown jam, the judge sent me to a place called"Vietnam"to kill the yellow man." What Springsteen is singing about is the hardship so many Vietnam Veterans faced during the war & when they came home.
If he would have mention in the song something like"the judge sent me to Vietnam to fight for freedom & democracy", then I could say it's somewhat worthy of being played on July 4th.
I believe many people like to listen to it on the 4th. is because they like the beat, plus he mentions so many times"Born In The USA."

Last edited by JOLLYROGERS; 05 Jul 17 at 12:58..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 05 Jul 17, 13:46
Lieutenant General
United_States

wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300]
It is easy to confuse the experience of the individual with the greater good. If you set your moral compass by the ramblings of popular artists the cognitive dissonance is compounded.

I like the song not so much the artist.
Old 05 Jul 17, 17:26
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I was in the Army in 1975 and I met several guys that were given a choice of "The Army or Jail". One got kicked out during Basic. One day our Drill Sergeant announced he wanted a Cigarette and one very laid back little Black Dude said: "Here you are Drill Sergeant and flipped his pack out and out came a Reefer! Did the Dude take the heat like a man? No he whined like a little girl and ratted out the guy that bought him the weed. Both these guys were incredible stupid. Both were given BCD's. I didn't last much longer than they did. My knees swole up and a nice Army Doctor asked if I wanted out of the Army? Never ask someone in Basic if they want out!

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 09 Jul 17, 00:10
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
I have a good friend, a West Pointer Vietnam/Cambodia vet, and retired SF type, who loves the song. I always hated it for the simplistic stupidity of the line "...sent to kill the yellow man." We argued over it again on this Fourth of July.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 09 Jul 17, 10:48
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOLLYROGERS View Post
Quite sure many posters here heard"Born In The USA"song by Bruce(the Boss)Springsteen.
His song is played all over where July 4th. celebrations takes place. What rattles me is the song"is not"a Patriotic song. In the song he says"got into a hometown jam, the judge sent me to a place called"Vietnam"to kill the yellow man." What Springsteen is singing about is the hardship so many Vietnam Veterans faced during the war & when they came home.
If he would have mention in the song something like"the judge sent me to Vietnam to fight for freedom & democracy", then I could say it's somewhat worthy of being played on July 4th.
I believe many people like to listen to it on the 4th. is because they like the beat, plus he mentions so many times"Born In The USA."
Freedom and Democracy...........

Forced removal from villages. Bombs from the air with ground sweeps and arty going through your ville wasn't most Vietnamese idea of Freedom.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 09 Jul 17, 14:31
General
United_States

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Forced removal from villages. Bombs from the air with ground sweeps and arty going through your ville wasn't most Vietnamese idea of Freedom.
True, bur forced relocation of villages was around under Diem when the Americans didn't have ground troops in Vietnam, and indeed had a long history going back to the Nguyen Lords. It was how the Vietnamese got to outnumber the Cham and Khmer Krom in Central Vietnam and the Mekong Delta.

Also, it wasn't like the other side was going to deliver a better solution. Collectivization of land under the bogus title of "land reform", division of the population into good and bad classes, with the undesirables labeled enemies of the people. Of course, the rifle carriers from the North and VC controlled areas were unaware of the real alternative. They were motivated by much the same sentiments that sent people into the ARVN.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 09 Jul 17, 14:46
General of the Forums
United_States
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirelou View Post
True, bur forced relocation of villages was around under Diem when the Americans didn't have ground troops in Vietnam, and indeed had a long history going back to the Nguyen Lords. It was how the Vietnamese got to outnumber the Cham and Khmer Krom in Central Vietnam and the Mekong Delta.

Also, it wasn't like the other side was going to deliver a better solution. Collectivization of land under the bogus title of "land reform", division of the population into good and bad classes, with the undesirables labeled enemies of the people. Of course, the rifle carriers from the North and VC controlled areas were unaware of the real alternative. They were motivated by much the same sentiments that sent people into the ARVN.
All true. I was pointing out the fantasy of the Freedom and Democracy bit.

I for one only know I was sent. The real purpose was questionable. I would have extended my tour if not being freshly married.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 09 Jul 17, 16:01
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
By the time that song came they'd stopped calling us "baby killers".

Mostly.
Old 10 Jul 17, 17:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOLLYROGERS View Post
You need to put the song in context of when it was written & released. 1984, President Reagan in office...building up of the military. At that point in time Springsteen was openly discussing how he regretted being medically unfit for service due to a motorcycle accident....I doubt he would say the same now.

Another context song is 'In America' by Charlie Daniels...that was written and released in 1980....during the Iranian Hostage crisis....
Old 11 Jul 17, 17:34
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Born down in a dead man's town.

Come back home to the refinery, hiring man said if it was up to me.

Went down to see my VA man... he said son, don't you understand.

I'm ten years burning down the road, Nowhere to run ain't got nowhere to go.

*More like and industrial, mid-America sad song.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!