StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > World History Group Hosting > ARK - Survival Evolved

Notices and Announcements

ARK - Survival Evolved Ark Discussion & home of the DETH CLUSTER of servers

Old 07 Nov 16, 18:19
Hero of ACG
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99]
Welcome to the Ark - Survival Evolved Forum!

Welcome everyone, to the new Ark - Survival Evolved forum!

This forum is home to the DETH CLUSTER of game servers - a series of dedicated servers (think of individual worlds, or maps) where players are able to transfer their characters, dinos and certain items back and forth between the servers themselves, instead of having to have a unique character on each individual server.

We currently have four dedicated servers up and running, with the potential to add more as required due to new maps and content, community requests, and more.

Now, about the game itself!

Ark - Survival Evolved is a very popular game in the survival genre. Your character basically wakes up in their undies on a strange island with no clue as to what is going on, and must depend on their skill, wits and ingenuity to survive (and prosper!) Join a tribe of like-minded survivors on the island, working together to build and thrive; or play as a lone-wolf type, relying on smaller stealthy bases and quick thinking to survive.

Tame your own dinosaurs! As kids, who didn't imagine riding on the back of their very own T-Rex, striking fear into the hearts of strangers and destroying all who dare to oppose them? Let your inner-child rampage!

Dinos can be used as weapons, killing other survivors and destroying other players/tribes bases. They can be used to harvest valuable resources - nothing gathers metal faster than an Ankylo, and Castoroides (a large beaver type) can't be beat for wood gathering. Dinos can also be used as mass transport for moving large amounts of resources; some will grant you flight; you can even build bases on some of the larger dinosaurs.

They become invaluable tools in your quest for survival (and dominance) on the island. Indeed, it is quite common to become attached to them as you go through the stages of tranquilizing/taming/raising the dinos - watching as they level up along with your character, becoming stronger & faster, increasing stats just as you do. (I will confess to once needing to take a break from Ark for a week after my very high level Argentavis was killed by a Giganotosaurus - I was heartbroken!)

I won't go into too much detail as I am sure most of you have heard of the game by now, and there are myriad articles on the net for you to peruse for a more complete review.

In the meantime, please feel free to use our forum to share your thoughts on the game, ask any questions you might have, and post your screenshots. I (and others) will be adding new content on the forum, so check back often.

Come and join us on the ARK!

Winston Churchill

Last edited by Mantis; 01 Jul 17 at 19:30..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 21 Nov 16, 06:30
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Ark Walk through, for those that are playing this game for the first time.

First of all, get familiar with how the game mechanics work in single player before joining a server. Or, expect to be killed a lot while you are trying to figure things out.

Of the three maps, The Island is the easiest with the Scorched Earth mod the hardest. Location East Zone One are the best on The Island. North Tropical the best on The Center. South Zone One on Scorched Earth. The Island and The Center you may spawn by dilos, spitters, which you can outrun. Berries and water are plentiful. It is recommended that you don't play Scorched Earth for now due to the brutal weather conditions you will face as a new player in that map.

All first time players will have a chance to create their character to design and shape as they wish. Regardless of how they craft them, all characters start with the same stats in the game.

Game play. Constant running will make you tired as well as use up food and water faster. Cold will use up food faster, heat will use up water faster. If you spawn near a dilo or raptor, run. Get behind something or run by some herbivore which it may take an interest in, allowing you to escape.

If you get killed, you will be reborn naked, but will retain your crafting skills. You can reclaim your stuff from your body if you can do so safely. If you have been eaten, a bag will be left with your stuff. You have five minutes to reclaim it or it will be lost forever.

To start out in the game once you have spawned in;
  1. Grab a rock, punch a tree or driftwood to get at least 1 wood and 10 thatch. Punching will cause you to lose health but there is no other choice until you can craft tools.
  2. Go into crafting and craft the pick. Place it in hot bar 1.
  3. Go hit a boulder with the pick to get flint. Go hit a tree to get more wood and thatch. Pick some bushes to get some fiber.
  4. As you will now have leveled up, apply the level to health or weight. Select the hatchet and spears from the Engrams list and craft a hatchet. Place it in hot bar 2.
  5. Chop a tree to get mostly wood. Use the pick for thatch and flint. Craft at least three spears and place them in hot bar 3. You now have some means for defense against the spitters and compys. As spitters will flare their hood before spitting on you, jump to the side to dodge the blinding spit. If you are attacked by a compy gang, go backwards to keep them in front of you aiming the spear low to kill them all, then harvest hide and raw meat with the hatchet.
  6. Craft a torch and place it in hot bar 6. You can still pick stones and bushes while using a torch.
  7. Go kill some Dodos for their meat and hide. Gather more stone, wood, thatch, and fiber. Eat berries for food but save the Narcos for taming as they will put you to sleep. Likewise, the Stimms will give you energy but make you very thirsty.
  8. At the next levelup, get the campfire, shirt and pants, craft the clothes and put them on. Find a sheltered spot where your back is protected from surprise attacks and place the campfire down. Place wood and the meat in it and light the fire. Stock the fire with at least 100 wood. Use the fire and or torch to stay warm.
  9. A Waterskin will store water for your use when you are away from a water source, but they leak. You can refill them by standing in water and use item, or place in the hot bar and press that number. They can also be refilled when it rains.
  10. You may also use the spear for fishing. Just be aware of sharks, mantas, and predator fish.
  11. As it is likely getting dark by now, use the torch for light and warmth as you go gathering more materials for a shelter. You should have a levelup soon to get thatch foundation and walls. A shelter will give additional protection from excessive heat or cold.
  12. On Level 5, get the slingshot and storage box. Place extra items in storage so you are not being overburdened.
  13. Get a sleeping bag but don't craft it for now. You need the engram for the Simple Bed which you will craft and place in your shelter. This will give you a place to be reborn if your character gets killed. Sleeping bags are portable but they are a one time use item. You will soon have plenty from the supply drops you can access in the game.
  14. There are going to be many more items then you will ever have engram points for selecting. Spend them on items that are most useful. At this stage of the game, mortise and pestle, narc, spark powder, gunpowder, standing torch, bow arrow, and the raft are top priority followed by the tranc arrows. Tribe members can specialize in a skill thus allowing a tribe to learn all items available.
  15. The raft will allow for safe transport for resources and safer locations. You can place structures on them and ferry your tames to safer locations. Just watch out for swimming sarcos, alligators, which can attack your tames on the raft.
  16. Your first pets for tames can be some dodos for an egg farm, spitters that you knock out with the slingshot and use as guard dogs or hunting, a parasaur for transport, and later, a Trike for berry harvesting. Get low level ones for now, they are easier to tame. Your first flying transport a pteradon. Wait until you can craft saddles for them before attempting a tame.

You are now well on your way to being a survivor of the Ark. Play cautiously and watch your six. And, always prepared for the unexpected.
Old 21 Nov 16, 12:32
Hero of ACG
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99]
Great guide Ron!

I'll add a few quick tips that came to mind reading through your post.

Dodos - you can tame them very easily, and aside from the egg farm aspect that Ron mentions, they also make great portable refrigerators (until you can craft a preserving bin). Your meat and berries spoil, but putting them in a dinos inventory is about the same as the preserving bin, keeping them around longer. This is especially true for Primal Meat, which spoils very quickly. All dinos work for this, but be sure not to store your Primal Meat in a dino that is a meat eater, or it'll disappear even faster than one might expect...

For the Pteranodon, craft yourself a bola or two before approaching it. Even with a crossbow instead of the normal bow & arrow, most Pteras will fly off after your first hit, and can be very difficult to tranq before they escape. One bola hit, and you'll immobilize him for long enough to complete the tranq process and bring him down.

Never leave your tames unguarded! They will quickly be eaten or the food raided. I also like to drop a campfire a few yards away from where the dino is tranqed - many times you will need to gather more narcoberries or fight off predators etc. Night makes this even worse. Dropping a fire helps you to quickly find your way back to your (soon-to-be) pet.

Winston Churchill
Old 01 Dec 16, 16:14
Hero of ACG
Canada

Some new changes:

- We've increased structure limits for both normal bases and rafts/saddle platforms.

- Auto-updates are not displaying the warning messages in chat prior to resetting the server. Until I can correct this, updates are now limited to roughly once per day.

Winston Churchill
Old 08 Jun 17, 17:06
Hero of ACG
Canada

We were experiencing a new error with a recent patch that was preventing the forum address from appearing properly. It is now appearing properly so I hope to see new people joining us shortly!

Winston Churchill
Old 01 Jul 17, 19:31
Hero of ACG
Canada

Ragnarok is live!

Edits to first post to correct for server changes.

Winston Churchill

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!