StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 09 May 16, 17:32
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Another addictive, life-draining game...

I picked up NWS' Rule the Waves (link at bottom), which is a surprisingly engrossing game.

Essentially it places you in the role of Grand Admiral of a navy in 1900, in a world bereft of the alliances. You may choose from 12 historical or 3 alt/hist nations (CSA, for example).

You may choose a historical budget or a larger one for your nation. You are assigned a pre-1900 fleet and a budget, and are set to begin 300 one-month turns.

There are three basic phases to a turn:

Administrative phase: You set your training doctrine, intelligence priorities, and research priorities. You may choose to build ships of existing classes, design new classes, upgrade existing ships, build shore batteries, or improve your port facilities (or any combination thereof for which you have the budget funding for), and assign ships to those of the 12 sea regions in which you have an interest.

Processing phase: when you hit 'next turn' you get a screen telling you what news there is, usually just data on who is building or upgrading what, and similar naval related news. Your spies may report, and frequently you get pop-ups advising you of research successes. In additional, very frequently you get a pop-up which describes a situation (enemy spy caught, for example) and two or three different choices as to how to resolve it. Different choices can impact various factors. If you are at war you will get pop-ups with war news.

Combat: phase during a time of war you will get the opportunity to fight sea actions using the tried and true Steam and Iron game system (you do not have to have SAI).

Prestige and Tension: Prestige is your Grand Admiral's standing within his nation. Let it drop too low and you are sacked, game over. Tension shows your nation's status with other nations. If tension rises too high, war begins. Here is a difficult thing: you will get a political situation arise and have three options: one eases tension but lowers your prestige, one raises both tension and your prestige, and one is unclear. If you sacrifice prestige to keep peace, you can erode your career prospects, but if you go to war and lose, kiss your career goodbye.

Research, or the addiction: The heart of the game, and the part that is addicting, is fleet maintenance. This is a period of exploding naval technology. Not only will you have to design the actual warships for your fleet, but you will also have to configure the fleet to stay within your budget. Now, there is no 'tech tree' as most games have it; instead there are fifteen or so general areas (Guns, Armor, etc) in which your set your research priority. Nearly every month you will get a popup advising you that your engineers have developed a new armor process (a 1% reduction in armor weight), improved engines (likewise) or something big, like a turret design that can house two guns.

This is where you start white-knuckling it. It takes 20-30 months to build a heavy combat unit, and while you can modify existing ships there are limits to what can be changed. So you designed a lovely ship class, say a pre-dreadnought (B), and then get a dozen or more improvements to your naval tech while it builds. So there is a terrible urge to delay just a turn or two longer in the hopes of getting a pneumatic rammer (increased RoF in main guns) or wing turrets or yet another increase to torpedo range before committing the ship to construction. Of course, that could mean you end up going to war a year later with your hot design still under construction.

Designing a ship is simple in execution and tough in practice. The program handles all the math and has a check feature that warns you if your design is top-heavy or other issues. You have to balance engine capability, armament (size, ammo load, and placement), armor (where and how much), and considerations like crew comfort and range. Not to mention cost, both purchase and maintenance. What sort of war are you envisioning?

I played Austro-Hungary twice after getting down the rules. In both cases I was sacked in 1910. In the first game I did not pay attention to tension, but lucked into an Alliance with the UK, and ended up in a war with France and the US (with the UK as an ally). I did OK because the UK carried the load. The alliance expired and we were drawn into a long war with Italy which we won, but the damage to my prestige was fatal.

The second game chugged along; I fell into a war with Imperial Russia which I won handily. This made me overconfident, and I delayed too long in committing to building capitol ships. My Trung Si class battleships were sill under construction when war with Italy broke out, and even with modest upgrades my pre-1900 fleet was no match for the Italian vessels which were mostly 1905-08 designs.

120 turns in the above games took a couple hours to play.

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.ya...t/ruwaddo.html
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 26 May 16, 17:07
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
A follow-up.

I have been sacked as the naval commander of Prussia, Imperial Russia (twice), Austro-Hungary again, and then finally made it to the end back at my 'go-to' command, Austro-Hungary.

During the course of these I designed a truly useless BB, and won a war with outdated, under-gunned ships.

This game can easily become an obsession. I have avoided the UK and the USA because the far-flung colonies add a layer of complexity that I am not ready for, but I will do so soon, I expect.

I have learned more about naval warfare and ship design in these hours than I believed possible. Suddenly the role of the light cruiser makes perfect sense, for example.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 30 May 16, 17:58
Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99]
Game looks awesome but complex. I want to pick it up one day.

Can you design BB's to your heart's content in the game?
Old 31 May 16, 01:17
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger View Post
Game looks awesome but complex. I want to pick it up one day.

Can you design BB's to your heart's content in the game?

You can design anything from a minesweeper to a BB; your only limitations are the realities of the process and the developments currently available to you. For example, until your engineers learn how to superimpose turrets and three-gun turrets you cannot build the USS New Jersey.

You can also modify existing ships, although that is pretty limited given the realities of the physical structure. With inches of armor plate in place you aren't going to pull the engines or install larger turret rings.

But ship design is incredibly cool. When laying Austro-Hungary I made my Bs and BBs short-ranged, and put the extra tonnage into guns.

The lighter ships are very cool, too. You will use DDs and CLs for raiding and convey defense, and it is very satisfying to see your design kicking butt on the enemy.
Old 31 May 16, 01:41
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
This sounds interesting. I am still playing Decisive Campaigns, Barbarossa. I might be ready for a change soon!

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 31 May 16, 02:15
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
So your still alive. Nice to see prayers still work.

Wanna play a real mans game try Dominions 4. Look for a sale at Steam.

Not for the weak of will... It's really meant to be a furball between a bunch of angry overly intelligent tweens. Smartest game that I've ever seen.

http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 31 May 16, 10:43
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
So your still alive. Nice to see prayers still work.

Wanna play a real mans game try Dominions 4. Look for a sale at Steam.

Not for the weak of will... It's really meant to be a furball between a bunch of angry overly intelligent tweens. Smartest game that I've ever seen.

http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/
I loathe Steam. I'm not buying any game based on them.
Old 07 Jun 16, 13:52
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
One Word ok three words

AAR AAR AAR

Old 07 Jun 16, 16:31
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
I have learned more about naval warfare and ship design in these hours than I believed possible. Suddenly the role of the light cruiser makes perfect sense, for example.
Ideal what these games can teach you once you're involved in a historical process yourself.
Playing it as a game can give you insights that books would not be able to bring home so easily.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 09 Jun 16, 17:47
General of the Forums
United_States

craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300] craven is on a distinguished road [300]
got the game and yes it will be a time sink.

just wish it had multiplayer.
Sponsored Links

Old 10 Jun 16, 03:22
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm tempted but try to keep my back straight as I have a job to do here

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 10 Jun 16, 20:11
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sennef View Post
I'm tempted but try to keep my back straight as I have a job to do here
only flaw I have found is that I use my big screen tv to play and cant see the last row of buttons in the ship design

So working on that but I definitely enjoy the game up to about year two or three where I actually need to upgrade my ships or build new ones
Old 22 Jun 17, 23:33
General of the Forums
Sinc
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600] Tsar is simply cracking [600]
Ive played the game several times now and have finally started winning more often than losing. My current game has me as the UK in a war with France. I have developed a strategy of isolating a few French BBs from the rest of his fleet and sinking them while trying to keep my ships afloat to run up the points and force him to sue for peace on my terms so far I have done it once resulting in the loss of a destroyer and a CA while sinking 2 DDs and 2 BBs.

(Damn you AJR for introducing me to this game)

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!