StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 16 Apr 17, 11:17
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

dave123 is on the path to success [1-99] dave123 is on the path to success [1-99]
Stratagy games question

I posted this same question in 2010. Got some ideas, but was never able to completely scratch the itch. So here it is again. Any ideas welcome:

I played Avalon hill games when I was growing up, and loved them. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I have been unable to find any new PC games that really fills that old desire. Closest I have found was an old AH game that I no longer have where the usa protected Iran from Iraq in the 80's or so. (that one politically out of date!) I also liked panzer general I a lot, but not pg2, but I've played that to death. I have the newer Panzer corps, and it's "ok".

I would very much appreciate some advice looking for a game. This is what I want:

1) turn based strategic game. my all time favorites are AH Russian Campaign and 3rd Reich, and panzer general I.
2) I don't want something uber complicated or uber long. I don't want to control every convoy down to the last sailor with a pistol, if you know what I mean. 3rd Reich and Russian campaign are about as big and technical as I want.
3) I would very much like to have online p vs p capability.
4) I want a game with acceptable AI, because I'm usually playing alone.
5) Some games I have tried, but not really perfect:
strategic command (battlefront) this game uses squares (just doesn't make sense to me) also has a lot of things that I don't like such as research etc. being too random. (note the new one with hexes is still just "ok."
Gary Grigsby game, forget the name, it was too big. I remember one (may not have been Gary) that was all about supply I tried a couple years ago. I spent all my time buying trucks.
Axis and Allies. too simple.
uncommon valor: too big.

So if you guys have any advice, I would sure like to try some demos!

Thanx
dave
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 16 Apr 17, 12:20
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
World in Flames if you want a huge super complex game. Also its 30% off this weekend.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...orld.In.Flames

Warning this isn't for tyros...

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 22 Apr 17, 17:16
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

dave123 is on the path to success [1-99] dave123 is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanx Bwaha; but surly you jest.

I said gary grigsby was too complicated. This game makes his look like chutes and ladders
Old 01 Jun 17, 13:59
Private
United_States

Philippe_at_bay is a balanced individual [0]
You might want to take a look at this game, described in a slightly older thread:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=165312

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!