StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Research, Reference and Historical Study

Notices and Announcements

Research, Reference and Historical Study Books, maps, orders-of-battle and other references. .

Old 30 Apr 17, 22:44
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99]
In Defence of Military History

This is an article by Dr. David Morgan-Owen of King's College London. Some may find it interesting.

Quote:
For some scholars the past was a simply an entirely different world, one which ought to be understood solely in its own terms and not compared to the present lest such an endeavour lead to inaccurate and misleading deductions.
In Defence of Military History

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 01 May 17, 06:42
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
All well covered some years ago by Prof Gary Sheffield in War Studies Reader when he was prof at Birmingham University. The Reader was intended as a guide to anyone considering taking up military history and has articles by various other luminaries of the subject. It till does the job.
Old 01 May 17, 08:23
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
I was fascinated by military history when I was twelve. Fifty four years later and I'm still at it.
Old 01 May 17, 09:52
Second Lieutenant
United_States

taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
All well covered some years ago by Prof Gary Sheffield in War Studies Reader when he was prof at Birmingham University. The Reader was intended as a guide to anyone considering taking up military history and has articles by various other luminaries of the subject. It till does the job.
If you find some of Sheffield's work on this subject on the internet post a link. I would be interested in reading it. Actually, if you know any historian views on this subject that are available on the internet post a link. Thanks.
Old 01 May 17, 09:53
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I was fascinated by military history when I was twelve. Fifty four years later and I'm still at it.
Very similar to my experience.
Old 01 May 17, 10:12
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco View Post
Very similar to my experience.
I still the first edition (paperback) copy of Rise and Fall of the Third Reich that was given to me back then by my history teacher. Tough sledding for a youngster but simply getting the words in context was educational.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!