StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Battlefields and Museums

Notices and Announcements

Battlefields and Museums Visited a battlefield or museum lately? Share your thoughts impressions here.

Old 06 Feb 13, 23:04
Colonel
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200]
The Little Bighorn Battlefield on the Crow Reservation in eastern Montana. Unique in how the markers placed where the 7th Cavalry fell, you can see how the battle developed. Well staffed with Park Service historians who hold some very interesting talks.

I highly recommend it in late June, as you can see what the battlefield looked like on that day, and Montana is beautiful in June.

Old 17 Oct 13, 16:51
Brigadier General
Germany
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300] Hanov is on a distinguished road [300]
For those in Europe that like to see a small WW1 site that looks like from yesterday because all those trenches and bunkers were digged/carved into solid rock:

The "Lingekopf" or "Le Linge" where Germans and French slaughtered each other in 1915.
http://pierreswesternfront.punt.nl/c...kopf--le-linge
http://www.linge1915.com/

Its situated in Alsace, France (GPS-coordinates : N 48.083554 E 7.139994) some 40min drive from the city of Mulhouse. It also comprises a nice museum and as stated above original trenches. It was a very exciting but sad visit.
For me it was so far the best "trench experience" i had. The sick thing is that they still dig out bodies there, nearly 90 years later...
Old 20 Dec 13, 03:49
Private First Class
United_States

Sidney Kroenke is on the path to success [1-99]
I have visited quite a few museums, as far as museums on war, I would say the Musée de l'Armée in France is top notch. The old department has a fine collection of ancient armour and weapons from the 13th-17th centuries.

http://www.musee-armee.fr/en/collect...h-century.html
Old 23 Dec 13, 05:56
Captain
Israel
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Yono has demonstrated strength of character [100] Yono has demonstrated strength of character [100] Yono has demonstrated strength of character [100] Yono has demonstrated strength of character [100] Yono has demonstrated strength of character [100] Yono has demonstrated strength of character [100] Yono has demonstrated strength of character [100] Yono has demonstrated strength of character [100] Yono has demonstrated strength of character [100] Yono has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Has the Latrun "Yad Lashiryon" Armored museum been mentioned?
Old 20 Jun 14, 16:21
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

TJN006 is on the path to success [1-99] TJN006 is on the path to success [1-99] TJN006 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadman View Post
The MVTF is no longer a "private" museum. Due to our staffing and location, we still do require appointments for tours. However, they no longer need to be made months in advance. If you are an individual or have just a couple of people, you can usually be scheduled pretty quickly. Please visit our website as listed above and click on the "tours" tab to get the tour reservation process started.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Volunteer docent and offsite events coordinator, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation
As of January 2014, the museum is no longer active. Much of their vejicle collection is being auctioned off and the best pieces, I presume are being sent to a museum out east (Boston?).

Very sad to see this place go...
Old 22 Jun 14, 02:22
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Another private one is this one:

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/feb/stories/paton.html
Old 29 Jun 14, 17:05
First Sergeant
United_States

IamRaider is on the path to success [1-99] IamRaider is on the path to success [1-99]
Just visited the US National WWI Museum in KC last week. Worth the visit!

http://theworldwar.org/
Old 23 Jun 15, 15:19
Major
England

Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99] Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99] Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99] Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99]
Two museums worth a visit - for two different reasons; both have no website but are mentioned on the web:

El-Alamein Museum, El-Alamein, Egypt. Every time my wife and I go to our coastal retreat at Mersa Mattruh (site of Rommel's Cave - his wartime HQ). No we don't reside in his HQ.. just in the area, we pass Alamein on our way to or from Cairo. Its 80 km west of Alexandria and is worth visiting. Quite a bit of equipment in the grounds and much better conserved are the displays inside the museum with many uniforms, small arms and other objects. Anyone interested in the N. Africa campaign should take the trouble to visit. Nearby is the British and Allied cemetry, the German and Italian war cemetries are further west by some km., though not so far out of town.

Kuwait House of National Works. Kuwait (The 1990 Invasion Museum). As 50/20 project manager for the British Embassy at the time (50 years since Independence and 20 since the invasion that I witnessed) I curated the British Embassy section in the museum that is twinned with the RAF Museum and the Tank Museum Bovington. This museum will be rehoused at some stage but for those students of 1990 it is significant.
Old 23 Jun 15, 16:28
Brigadier General
UK

Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Lāčplēsis - My dad was at Mersa Mattruh, but it was more an advance and retreat 'Benghazi Handicap' at the time.

Once during a sandstorm the unit he was retreating with and an advancing German column got a brief glimpse of each other running parallel a short distance away.

At the time they had a common 'enemy' - the wind and the whipped up sand.

ps. I very much enjoy my periodic visits to Bovington.
Old 24 Jun 15, 15:37
Major
England

Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99] Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99] Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99] Lāčplēsis is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
Lāčplēsis - My dad was at Mersa Mattruh, but it was more an advance and retreat 'Benghazi Handicap' at the time.
Woden Wonder, don't know if you have been to Mersa yourself; apart from Rommel's Cave HQ that is worth a visit (I hope renovations have finished and the museum reopened this year). I have rarely enjoyed a beach so much as there. 300 km due south from Mersa is Siwa Oasis, sight of LRDG wanderings. On that leg south one really has a feeling of desert as the road is not marked with pylons and the poor scrub just extends..... and extends.... pity is the place is still littered with WWII mines that have drifted so wandering off into the yonder is not a good option....

Old 26 Jun 15, 16:35
Major
England

Deniz Müzesi (Naval Museum), Beşiktaş, İstanbul
www.denizmuzeleri.tsk.tr/

A great museum in several sections;
A history of the Ottoman Navy with a great accent on the Dardanelles 1915, but also a fascinating section on pre-WWI ships.
An art/manuscript section and late Ottoman (late 19th/ early 20th Century) Caiques of the Sultans (and also 2 of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk's caiques)

There is also a branch in Çanakkale that has a replica of the Turkish mine-layer Nusret - very finely done and worth a holiday in that part of Turkey.

Old 25 Nov 15, 03:34
Lance Corporal
Armchair_General

ChasseurMarion is on the path to success [1-99]
The last museum I´ve visited was Styrian armoury last month.

ATTACH]68638[/ATTACH]

11013382_10206851373501660_8164489800717605014_o.jpg

11147851_10206851373621663_6902603487281181200_n.jpg

11230866_10206851326300480_6462219823664605505_o.jpg

11260593_10206851305779967_2144588663797665882_o.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1620724_10206851412462634_7052901743085190265_n.jpg (91.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 25 Nov 15, 03:38
Lance Corporal
Armchair_General

ChasseurMarion is on the path to success [1-99]
More pictures. Enjoy
Old 22 Mar 17, 10:14
Banned
United_States

chrishaiden66 is a balanced individual [0]
the above mentioned museum list was really amazing.
Old 22 Mar 17, 14:16
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
Bovington.
Samur.
Aberdeen.
Kubayanka.
Puckapunyal.
Parola.
Latrun.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!