StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Colonial Era

Notices and Announcements

American Colonial Era 1660-1763 The growth of North American colonies, often with a change in native & national control.

Old 03 Mar 17, 13:50
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Bacon History

Bacon History: https://www.baconscouts.com/bacon-facts/bacon-history/
Columbus lost town of La Navidad evidence of pig tooth:
http://www.nytimes.com/1985/08/27/sc...pagewanted=all
Christopher Columbus brought 8 pigs to Cuba at the insistence of Queen Isabella.
Hernando de Soto brought 13 pigs to Tampa Bay in 1539. According to the national Pork Board.
How much did the Iberian pig introduction of Spain change the America's during & after the time of Columbus?

Thanks, Patrick

Last edited by SmackUm; 03 Mar 17 at 13:58.. Reason: repair link
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 03 Mar 17, 14:43
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Well possibly tastier than Guinea Pigs and small dogs
Old 03 Mar 17, 15:16
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Yes Sir.. A definite improvement on that I'm sure not to mention Long Pig...
There were Cannibals in the Caribbean here too as well... Cannibal Island, Lake Winnipeg, Manitoba, Windigo Island's Lake of the Woods, Ontario & Windigo Bay, Lake Nipigon, Ontario. Windigo (Cannibal in Ojibwe) there is a Windigo Catering Company here in town they cater to the Mines. Most people probably don't know what it mean's.
The Buccaneer's (Le Boucan) were known to smoke meat especially pig as refrigeration was didn't exist and salt/pepper & other spices were all they had.
Now a days they have Buccaneer Festivals on Island's like Catalina Island, Dominican Republic (Santa Catalina by Christopher Columbus in 1494).
There is a Le bOucan festival in Montreal, Quebec closer to my neck of the woods I don't think any Pirate's made it this far.
If the best or biggest mine in the area was Minong Mine, Isle Royal, Lake Superior a seasonal operation at best the climate was not pirate friendly(Pirates don't like to shovel snow).
One can easily see why the Spaniard's stuck to their latitude and temperate zone.
The introduction of foreign species in this zone was much earlier due to shipping access.
Foreign species also must have contributed to the introduction of foreign diseases whether intended or not.
The European's must have been aware of biological war fare so I can't see how Queen Isabella didn't know that this could harm the Native American's.
There must have been examples of this made when the captives of the Caribbean were brought to Spain some must have died eating unfamiliar food stuffs.
Swine Flu,Rats (the plague), Small Pox I'm sure that was well understood by this time period by the European's.
Gun's Germs & Steel teaches us that this was so probably learned over the course of time monkey see monkey do likewise the Native American's gave the European's a present or two to take home.
Old 03 Mar 17, 16:11
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackUm View Post
Yes Sir.. A definite improvement on that I'm sure not to mention Long Pig...
There were Cannibals in the Caribbean here too as well... Cannibal Island, Lake Winnipeg, Manitoba, Windigo Island's Lake of the Woods, Ontario & Windigo Bay, Lake Nipigon, Ontario. Windigo (Cannibal in Ojibwe) there is a Windigo Catering Company here in town they cater to the Mines. Most people probably don't know what it mean's.
The Buccaneer's (Le Boucan) were known to smoke meat especially pig as refrigeration was didn't exist and salt/pepper & other spices were all they had.
Now a days they have Buccaneer Festivals on Island's like Catalina Island, Dominican Republic (Santa Catalina by Christopher Columbus in 1494).
There is a Le bOucan festival in Montreal, Quebec closer to my neck of the woods I don't think any Pirate's made it this far.
If the best or biggest mine in the area was Minong Mine, Isle Royal, Lake Superior a seasonal operation at best the climate was not pirate friendly(Pirates don't like to shovel snow).
One can easily see why the Spaniard's stuck to their latitude and temperate zone.
The introduction of foreign species in this zone was much earlier due to shipping access.
Foreign species also must have contributed to the introduction of foreign diseases whether intended or not.
The European's must have been aware of biological war fare so I can't see how Queen Isabella didn't know that this could harm the Native American's.
There must have been examples of this made when the captives of the Caribbean were brought to Spain some must have died eating unfamiliar food stuffs.
Swine Flu,Rats (the plague), Small Pox I'm sure that was well understood by this time period by the European's.
Gun's Germs & Steel teaches us that this was so probably learned over the course of time monkey see monkey do likewise the Native American's gave the European's a present or two to take home.
Later genetic studies suggest that the venereal diseases that the early explorers brought back may have originated on the Indian sub continent. How they got to the Americas is unknown but it has been surmised that Indian trading ships accidentally blown round the Cape were sufficiently seaworthy to keep going but not enough to beat back and so their crews ended up stranded in the Americas. What goes around comes around. There is some evidence in some architectural features of early Indian influence in South and Central America.

I have actually had a cannibal to dinner. Back in my student days I was elected Union President of Debates and one of my duties was to host pre debate dinners for distinguished speakers. One such guest was Professor James Kirk (No not the split infinitive drive Captain who really should not have worn sweat shirts over a gut like that) but a respected human geographer and anthropologist expert on New Guinea who also had a gut but was wise enough not to wear sweat shirts. He told us over a rather nice pork based main course of a meal in the highlands of that country where he was the guest of honour at a feast and realised that the piece of roast he was served had a tattoo. He had decided that disapproving of his host's offering might prove dangerous and tucked in. Very tasty was his verdict. Interestingly my other guest that night was Enoch Powell and there was a discussion about the morality of eating people . Unlike my fellow alumni Malcolm Bradbury they decided that Eating People was no more or less wrong than eating other animals before moving on onto how big a fool Ian Smith was.
Old 04 Mar 17, 05:34
Major General
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
Chukka has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quite a story.

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
Wu Cheng'en Monkey
Old 04 Mar 17, 11:37
First Lieutenant
Canada

Quote:
Later genetic studies suggest that the venereal diseases that the early explorers brought back may have originated on the Indian sub continent. How they got to the Americas is unknown but it has been surmised that Indian trading ships accidentally blown round the Cape were sufficiently seaworthy to keep going but not enough to beat back and so their crews ended up stranded in the Americas. What goes around comes around. There is some evidence in some architectural features of early Indian influence in South and Central America.

I have actually had a cannibal to dinner. Back in my student days I was elected Union President of Debates and one of my duties was to host pre debate dinners for distinguished speakers. One such guest was Professor James Kirk (No not the split infinitive drive Captain who really should not have worn sweat shirts over a gut like that) but a respected human geographer and anthropologist expert on New Guinea who also had a gut but was wise enough not to wear sweat shirts. He told us over a rather nice pork based main course of a meal in the highlands of that country where he was the guest of honour at a feast and realised that the piece of roast he was served had a tattoo. He had decided that disapproving of his host's offering might prove dangerous and tucked in. Very tasty was his verdict. Interestingly my other guest that night was Enoch Powell and there was a discussion about the morality of eating people . Unlike my fellow alumni Malcolm Bradbury they decided that Eating People was no more or less wrong than eating other animals before moving on onto how big a fool Ian Smith was.
My sister works with a fellow Engineer from the South Pacific who's ancestors captured other tribes and ate their men keeping the women as a concubine's. That is where I first heard the term long pig I guess that this is what human flesh tastes like according to others.
I'm reading Written in Blood: The Story of the Haitian People 1492-1971 by Robert Debs Heinl & Nancy Gordon Heinl at the moment. i'll give you guys a link on that book.. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...itten-in-blood a newer updated version i think... 1492-1995
Old 04 Mar 17, 11:51
First Lieutenant
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukka View Post
Quite a story.
Written in Blood is probably one of the most disturbing pieces of work I've read about the New World.
It is also one of the most eye opening i'll bet Samuel de Champlain had his opened when he visited Port au Moustiques (Mosquitoes) in 1599.
Tortuga Island enriched the English Language with three nouns: Buccaneer, Barbecue & Filibuster, One who cured meat, Method of Curing Meat & Pirate of Freebooter.
Samuel de Champlain was a spy in New Spain 1599-1601..

Last edited by SmackUm; 04 Mar 17 at 12:07..
Old 04 Mar 17, 12:24
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Come to Chile, I'll show you some good eatin' GPs. Spicy is the best route.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!