StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II > Armor in World War II

Notices and Announcements

Armor in World War II Discuss all aspects & disciplines of World War II Armor here.

Old 19 Jan 17, 02:39
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Jentz's Panzertruppen

I finally bite the bullet and ordered both Panzertruppen I and II. I just want to confirm these are the preeminent sources for the Panzer Waffen right? If not which ones were? Too expensive to not cancel if I made a mistake through faulty memory. Also got Death Traps, but not for the flawed analysis of the Sherman, but to read about Mr. Cooper's war. Thanks in advance.

Lil Ole Moi

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Jan 17, 10:38
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Jentz has been a good and useful reference for force structure, tank allocation, and his commentary cites German reports and war journal entries for actions through the war. Don't cancel your order.

Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 19 Jan 17 at 11:55..
Old 19 Jan 17, 11:22
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400]
They are very good. A worthwhile addition to your library
Old 19 Jan 17, 18:29
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thanks guys. I won't cancel the order.

Old 19 Jan 17, 23:42
Lieutenant General
France
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200]
Agreed, both are worth owning.

For the Sherman I would seriously recommend Hunnicutt's work. While it is on one hand an extremely boring book it is also tremendously enlightening. As I read it I could not believe how the U.S. was able to R&D, test, analyze, field test, etc., etc., before the M4, during its use voraciously, and after. We all know that the M4 was successful because of its reliability and this book shows all that went behind the effort of the M4's success.

If you have already read it sorry for all this.

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!
Old 20 Jan 17, 02:31
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBark View Post
Agreed, both are worth owning.

For the Sherman I would seriously recommend Hunnicutt's work. While it is on one hand an extremely boring book it is also tremendously enlightening. As I read it I could not believe how the U.S. was able to R&D, test, analyze, field test, etc., etc., before the M4, during its use voraciously, and after. We all know that the M4 was successful because of its reliability and this book shows all that went behind the effort of the M4's success.

If you have already read it sorry for all this.
No thank you. I had just ordered Hunnicutt's Sherman book in paperback. I have his work on the M2 Bradley and loved it. I am glad to see his books are now available at a much cheaper price. I feel that the Sherman is a very much underrated and great piece of machinery and that while I salute Mr. Cooper for his work; he lost sight of the forest because of all the trees. While the Panzer IV might have a better gun; the Sherman was equal to or better than the Panzer IV in every way. And the Panzer IV was 50% of the Panzer Waffe till the end of the war. Sorry if I am preaching to the choir.

Old 20 Jan 17, 13:13
Captain
Denmark
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

cbo has demonstrated strength of character [100] cbo has demonstrated strength of character [100] cbo has demonstrated strength of character [100] cbo has demonstrated strength of character [100] cbo has demonstrated strength of character [100] cbo has demonstrated strength of character [100] cbo has demonstrated strength of character [100] cbo has demonstrated strength of character [100] cbo has demonstrated strength of character [100] cbo has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
I finally bite the bullet and ordered both Panzertruppen I and II. I just want to confirm these are the preeminent sources for the Panzer Waffen right? If not which ones were? Too expensive to not cancel if I made a mistake through faulty memory. Also got Death Traps, but not for the flawed analysis of the Sherman, but to read about Mr. Cooper's war. Thanks in advance.

Lil Ole Moi
Panzertruppen I & II are certainly worth the money even if they have some age to them now. It is nice to have those details on TO&E, the tank data on German and allied tanks and of course the many quotes from WWII German documents. The major flaw of Panzertruppen is the lack of references, preventing you from going directly to the source, if you want to check out somehting. But that not unique to Jentz' work.
Old 20 Jan 17, 14:04
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Thanks guys. I won't cancel the order.
Good call .
Old 21 Jan 17, 12:48
Lieutenant General
France
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
No thank you. I had just ordered Hunnicutt's Sherman book in paperback. I have his work on the M2 Bradley and loved it. I am glad to see his books are now available at a much cheaper price. I feel that the Sherman is a very much underrated and great piece of machinery and that while I salute Mr. Cooper for his work; he lost sight of the forest because of all the trees. While the Panzer IV might have a better gun; the Sherman was equal to or better than the Panzer IV in every way. And the Panzer IV was 50% of the Panzer Waffe till the end of the war. Sorry if I am preaching to the choir.
From what I hear the paperbacks are cheap and come apart easily. Good thing is that they seem to have brought the price of some of the hardcovers down (I saw one down in the $40's last year but was in hospital for surgery and didn't think it a good time to spend money. Gone by the time I was ready to buy.)

Re your mention of the PzIV's "superior" gun; keep in mind that the work of a tank in WWII was by far to toss HE. The M3 in the Sherman was very good at this, one of the best.

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!
Old 21 Jan 17, 16:02
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBark View Post
From what I hear the paperbacks are cheap and come apart easily. Good thing is that they seem to have brought the price of some of the hardcovers down (I saw one down in the $40's last year but was in hospital for surgery and didn't think it a good time to spend money. Gone by the time I was ready to buy.)

Re your mention of the PzIV's "superior" gun; keep in mind that the work of a tank in WWII was by far to toss HE. The M3 in the Sherman was very good at this, one of the best.
I hate when I come across a good buy that I can't take part in. True on the US 75mm M3 gun. It was even good enough to kill everything but the heavy German tanks at range too. The PZKFW IV was no exception to being killed by the Sherman.

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!