StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 09 Apr 16, 08:33
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99]
Whats happening now....? Did you win...?
Old 22 Apr 16, 22:53
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Work kept me away from the board for a couple weeks.

Turn 60 Late October 1863
National Morale/VP: 147/ 3341
Union Losses Killed/POW: 152.102
CSA losses Killed/POW:137011 /151k

Events:
USN wins a surface engagement in Mobile Bay.
Meade takes Lynchburg VA.

Administrative Decisions:
Raised volunteer pay.
Increased rail rolling stock
Ordered three regiments of colored militia, one brigade of infantry, one signal company, one medical company, one engineer battalion, and two supply trains.

Naval Operations:
Operations continue towards capturing Fort Gaines and to fully close Mobile Bay.

Land Operations:
Rest and reorganize.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Turn 61 Early November 1863
National Morale/VP: 144/3402
Union Losses Killed/POW: 154466
CSA losses Killed/POW: 143228/152k

Events:
The USN suffered a defeat off the Virginal coast, losing the USS Jamestown.
Sheridan and Logan defeated CSA raid groups.
Curtis defeated CSA Gen Bee near Owen IN.
Hallack defeated CSA Polignac near Louisville KY

None.

Naval Operations:
None

Land Operations:
Rest and reorganize,

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Turn 62 Late November 1863
National Morale/VP:144 3486

Events:
Heavy fighting along the Ohio River. Union forces win, but BG Sheridan KIA.

Ordered 18 brigades if infantry, 3 batteries of artillery.

Naval Operations:
Siege of Fort Gaines continues.

Land Operations:
Western Command: Remaining on defensive.
Department of Kentucky: Reorganizing.
Army of the Potomac: A division of cavalry under Buford is added. The AoP marches south, but the poor ground condition makes for minimal progress..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Turn 63 Early December 1863
National Morale/VP: 145 3541
Union Losses Killed/POW: 169001
CSA losses Killed/POW: 146559, 54k

Naval Operations:
USN gunboats inflict 1400 casualties on CSA troops travelling on the Ohio River.

Land Operations:
All fronts quiet as mud dominates.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

Turn 64 Late December 1864
National Morale/VP:139 3591
Union Losses Killed/POW: 169005
CSA losses Killed/POW: 149040

Events:
Fort Stanton NM lost.
Steele seizes Mumfordville KY.

Ordered 10 brigades of infantry, two regiments of cavalry.

Naval Operations:
USS Monitor defeated a CSA squadron at Currituck Sound.

Land Operations:
None.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 23 Apr 16, 19:36
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Fort Gaines fell in early January, completely sealing Mobile Bay.
Suffolk VA was taken, allowing rail access to Norfolk, and port supply for the AoP.
Fighting along both sides of the Ohio throughout January.

In early February Meade took Greensboro NC, and virtually all of central VA is in union hands.
A battery of heavy coastal guns is delivered to Fort Gaines.
Buford brings his division close to Wilmington.

On February 15 1864 the CSA surrenders (their national morale collapsed).

In retrospect I did not make effective use of the USN soon enough. My blunders in my opening moves of the Mississippi campaign put the Western campaign permanently on the defense and cost me troops that made forming the Department of Kentucky very difficult.

My campaign in New Mexico (which took the vital base of El Paso) and in the Missouri area were successes; key areas were captured and held, and CSA forces were drawn west at a low cost to me.

While the unit experience system worked well, the commander experience system did not. I had commanders who fought battle after battle (victoriously) and yet acquired little or no experience.

Overall, the game is excellent. Once you work out a system for processing a turn it is simple enough to handle, and there is a vast amount of options at your fingertips. If I had an improvement to pick, it would be the ability to name stacks if desired, which would be quite helpful, as when combining groups of units into divisions and corps the automated naming system is not the best.

The AI setting I chose was only average, as evidenced by my early win, but it gave me serious fits, and not only has several higher settings, but also optional settings which gives the AI logistical challenges. The best would be a Human opponent, but the AI will not disappoint.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 23 Apr 16, 20:28
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99]
How long did it take you to learn the game, to become a serious contender...?? I am looking to purchase it, and play via email, but that could be a looong way off...
Old 25 Apr 16, 10:45
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Holliday View Post
How long did it take you to learn the game, to become a serious contender...?? I am looking to purchase it, and play via email, but that could be a looong way off...
I played a few turns of the Grand campaign, restarted, played a few more, restarted, and embarked upon the game that is in the AAR.

If you read the manual and the play around with it, it is very intuitive. The key is getting a pattern of turn process. For example, at the start of a new turn I would go through the F key information charts, then start on the West cost and follow the battle line east, do the USN, order new units, and I'm done.

For the grand campaign keeping notes of where new units are forming and where units are needed was crucial to me.
Old 25 Apr 16, 14:06
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
I played a few turns of the Grand campaign, restarted, played a few more, restarted, and embarked upon the game that is in the AAR.

If you read the manual and the play around with it, it is very intuitive. The key is getting a pattern of turn process. For example, at the start of a new turn I would go through the F key information charts, then start on the West cost and follow the battle line east, do the USN, order new units, and I'm done.

For the grand campaign keeping notes of where new units are forming and where units are needed was crucial to me.
Thanks....I will attempt to sack Richmond this weekend...Ill D/L the manual today....
Old 28 Apr 16, 03:42
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
In how far do you think the mass surrender of the CSA at Manassas influenced the final result ?

Looking at the flow of the game CSA needs to exploit it's advantage in the early years before the massive production advantage of the North kicks in, and to lose 38K men like that must have hurt them tremendously,

indeed even at the end those still make up a sizeable part of total pow.

Very professional AAR as usual - I've become a regular reader of them, thanks

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 28 Apr 16, 10:24
General of the Forums
United_States

I don't think it made that much of a difference, as the units were not fully formed. I think the decisive act on my part was seizing Harper's Ferry very early, and my failed offensive at New Orleans.

While there was not a great deal of fighting at either point, NO pulled the Army of Tennessee south in response, and Harper's Ferry drew Stonewall Jackson and held him in place for over a year. Basically that position turned into an arms race as both sides piled troops into the position, the CSA to retake it, me to hold it.

Both situations consumed massive amounts of CSA rail assets, and that is a CSA weakness.

In addition, both the Western Command (where I was largely a failure) and the Department of Kentucky (where at best I broke even) drew away resources from the Army of Virginia until I was able to bring masses of troops to bear. Once Richmond fell all other CSA successes were unimportant, as it deal a bleeding wound to CSA morale and opened up the eastern seaboard to assault.

You are right, the CSA needs to be aggressive to win. The Union, with its massive resources, can afford to take its time. I still had the option to issue another round of war bonds and to switch to paper currency in reserve, and the option of full mobilization to increase manpower if needed. Had I not bungled so badly in the West and been a better manager of troop allocation, I believe I could have taken Richmond earlier.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Old 04 Dec 16, 07:51
Banned
United_States

1stvermont is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks for the aar. Great game is it not?
Old 04 Dec 16, 13:45
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stvermont View Post
Thanks for the aar. Great game is it not?
It really is.
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Dec 16, 16:42
Banned
United_States

1stvermont is on the path to success [1-99]
My son and my brother are in an epic war right know, I take on the winner.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!