StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 26 Oct 16, 15:28
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Medieval Total War - Incompatible Application?

I've been playing MTW for years now, but after finally managing to get windows update to work, MTW is now stated to be an incompatible application. I've reloaded it, but still no joy.

Any ideas apart from deleting all those windows updates I've downloaded?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 26 Oct 16, 15:41
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Can you use an earlier version of windows on the same computer?
Old 27 Oct 16, 05:29
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfred View Post
Can you use an earlier version of windows on the same computer?
I've tried running the game on an earlier version of windows, but it still states the game is incompatible? I've even totally uninstalled and then reinstalled it?
Old 27 Oct 16, 05:35
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
MTW is notorious for the criminal protection it had on the original disk, it once forced me to buy a new drive.

I haven't bought a legal product from them since.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/play-ga...rm-windows-10/

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 27 Oct 16, 07:51
General of the Forums
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
MTW is notorious for the criminal protection it had on the original disk, it once forced me to buy a new drive.

I haven't bought a legal product from them since.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/play-ga...rm-windows-10/
Its obviously its a windows update that I've installed that has effected the game, since I own the disc.

It appears I'll have to delete them all, unless another one has a suggestion.
Old 27 Oct 16, 09:55
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
As I remember it there's something on the disk itself that installs on your hard drive and is very hard to remove.

Changing configuration on your computer after installing the game caused the spyware to conclude you're now running a pirated copy and it then becomes aggressive.

I believe there were lawsuits over it even.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 27 Oct 16, 11:07
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Yeah... changing configuration was what I was thinking of.

Old 27 Oct 16, 11:29
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I bought my laptop several years ago and I installed several old games on it and they worked fine. Now several will not play and I suspect Windows upgrades at work. I have not looked at it because I have another computer that works on an older Windows system and they play there fine.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 29 Oct 16, 18:38
General of the Forums
Wales

The problem was a MS security update KB3086255.

By removing this entry, the game runs again.
Old 30 Oct 16, 05:34
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
I've been playing MTW for years now, but after finally managing to get windows update to work, MTW is now stated to be an incompatible application. I've reloaded it, but still no joy.

Any ideas apart from deleting all those windows updates I've downloaded?
I had that problem some months ago and it was indeed some windows updates, I believe it was to do with preparatory updates for the free Windows 10 upgrade If you have windows 10 o.s, you wont be able to play MTW anyway, even if you try playing it in compatibility mode.

I have my game running on my other 9 year old (upgraded over the years) computer which is windows 7 o.s and running with a 5670 AMD Sapphire graphics card 4 gig memory and quad core Intel processor

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!