StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games

Notices and Announcements

MMO Games Players can discuss their online experiences with Massively Multiplayer Online games here!

Old 28 Jul 16, 07:04
General of the Forums
Romania
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600]
HE or AP?

What's best to use? In after-battle reports I noticed AP rounds do lower amounts of damage per shot. Also with no data on ship armour (that I know of), using AP rounds is kind of a shot in the dark. They could go through and cause catastrophic damage or not, you never know. They never did when I used them, but I don't use them much.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 28 Jul 16, 11:10
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
First of all you can get an armor guide and diagram for about a dozen of the games warships at

menzgaming.com/worldofwarships/

These will also give you a general idea about the layout of other ships. The best place for firing AP is into the side of the ship (90 degree angle preferred). Aim under the guns or midships at the waterline.

Last edited by Widow Maker; 28 Jul 16 at 11:15..
Old 28 Jul 16, 12:01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
You commented elsewhere that you are currently playing mostly destroyers. Destroyer sized guns (127mm or less) can get away with firing almost exclusively HE. You still might want to switch to AP if a destroyer or another lightly armored ship shows you a full broadside. DD guns will fail to penetrate thicker armor and will frequently bounce or ricochet doing zero damage. Those ricochets will do zero damage.

Your end of battle report show you total damage done by shell type. Some of your AP rounds may have been effective but the ricochets will really lower your average damage.

For other ships the rule of thumb is to fire HE if the enemy has his bow or stern pointed towards you and to use AP when they show more broadside..

Also the best place to start fire is the superstructure so HE does well aimed higher on a ship. AP does best hitting below te guns and near the waterline at aim lower on the target with AP.

It varies by the ship you are using and the ship you are firing at. HE can still start fires even if they do zero damage. Watch your results as you hit if you can't penetrate or do enough damage at any angle with AP use HE. At the same time Battleships take a looong time to switch shell types. Since I can penetrate a lot of light cruisers (like the Omaha and Tenryu) at any angle I tend to just stick with AP more often when using battleships.
Old 29 Jul 16, 10:58
General of the Forums
Romania

Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Thank you for the time you took to explain and for the link (bookmarked it).

Here's the highest damage I did so far. Did it with the tier 4 Japanese aircraft carrier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wows.jpg (74.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 29 Jul 16, 12:30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

lol

I'm glad you decided to get that carrier!

I have yet to do that much damage The best I have done is 104K damage. Great job!

I did not capture that screen. But I got that with a tier 5 Battleship.
Old 29 Jul 16, 20:08
Captain
United_States

Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99]
General rule is
If you are a BB and firing at anything lower than you use HE
BB to BB AP or HE depending on distance and angle.
Striaght on shot HE or extreme range.
If you are a CA and firing at anything lower use HE
CA to CA AP
DD always use HE
Old 03 Aug 16, 12:44
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
General rule is
If you are a BB and firing at anything lower than you use HE
BB to BB AP or HE depending on distance and angle.
Striaght on shot HE or extreme range.
If you are a CA and firing at anything lower use HE
CA to CA AP
DD always use HE
I'm going to disagree with part of this.

BB's (except the Arkansas Beta) should be firing AP at everything except DD's. AP will over-penetrate the destroyers and do minimal to no damage. I exclude the Arkansas Beta from that rule because she does as much damage with HE as she does with AP, sometimes more.

Because of the reload times for BB's it isn't very profitable to switch ammo types when fighting other BB's

For Cruisers (CA) You have to be more picky about your ammo choices vs opponents. AP works well against most CA's but not against the St. Louis and Bogatyr (Tier3) as they are both protected cruisers and have surprising AP resistance. Unless you are in a heavy gunned Tier5 or higher cruiser I would suggest using HE against those two targets. And the only tier v cruiser that's gunned heavily enough to be AP effective against them is the Furutaka which they won't encounter with any regularity unless MM is drunk.

The nice thing about the main batteries on CA's is their reload speeds are fast enough that you can swap ammo types efficiently to alternate between HE (set them on fire) to AP (hit them from criticals and citadels) and back to HE (set them on fire again and use their repairs up)

Anything shooting at DD's (inclusing other DD's) should be using HE pretty much exclusively. The higher tier DD's (8,9,10) have more utility with AP but the low tier DD's will almost never be effective with it.
Old 05 Aug 16, 21:13
Captain
United_States

Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99] Dano is on the path to success [1-99]
There is a setting that you can turn on to see what your shots are doing. "ribbons on" I think.

For this when I use AP against other BBs unless a side shot almost every shot is a bounce.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!