StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Age of Formative Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Formative Expansion 1789-1830 To begin with the 1st US President & extend through the Whiskey Rebellion, Quasi War with France, War of 1812, & southeastern Indian wars,

Old 16 Nov 14, 19:34
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
you tube video of a rough Lake Superior crossing on the ferry between Grand Portage, MN and Isle Royale, MI

Last edited by lakechampainer; 16 Nov 14 at 22:19..
Old 16 Nov 14, 22:10
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Continuing on the Lake Superior Theme - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Old 12 Oct 15, 21:58
General of the Forums
United_States

crossing of Lake Champlain by ferry between Plattsburgh, NY and Grand Isle, VT. I could see this from the shore in North Hero, VT with binoculars when I was a kid, when there was good visibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvmXKgbYJ0

Riding the ferry during Tropical Storm Irene in 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsSiia7_PmY

Last edited by lakechampainer; 12 Oct 15 at 22:08..
Old 21 Oct 15, 12:54
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Nice collection of stormy ship crossing videos!
I have a hard time imaging what it would be like for my ancestors crossing the North Atlantic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Guyon (The Father Stone Mason).
http://www.geni.com/people/Jean-Guyo...00006365310114
(The Son Surveyor).
I was pleased to see some one I highly respect Hilary Clinton's name pull up too!
Cheers, Patrick
Old 21 Oct 15, 20:03
Major General
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Funny, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackUm View Post
Nice collection of stormy ship crossing videos!
I have a hard time imaging what it would be like for my ancestors crossing the North Atlantic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Guyon (The Father Stone Mason).
http://www.geni.com/people/Jean-Guyo...00006365310114
(The Son Surveyor).
I was pleased to see some one I highly respect Hilary Clinton's name pull up too!
Cheers, Patrick
... Robert Drouin, one of my Great (7 Greats) Grandfathers, was the Maître-briquetier et Tuilier (Master brick & tile maker), who like Guyon, and Zacharie Cloutier, Master Carpenter & Shipwright, and their families, came to New France from Perche (between Normandie and Maine) in 1634, I suspect they were all on the same ship or expedition. The men had been recruited/hired by their Seigneur, Robert Giffard de Moncel, who Guyon would later have conflict with. Drouin was much younger than the other two, in 1636 he married Anne Cloutier, daughter of Zacharie; their's is the oldest marriage contract in Canada. But I'm related to Drouin through daughter Marie, a child of his second marriage to Marie Chapelier.

http://www.geni.com/people/Robert-Dr...00002340488093

If I/we've derailed this thread at all, I apologize.

Last edited by Marmat; 21 Oct 15 at 22:37..
Old 30 Oct 15, 16:33
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmat View Post
... Robert Drouin, one of my Great (7 Greats) Grandfathers, was the Maître-briquetier et Tuilier (Master brick & tile maker), who like Guyon, and Zacharie Cloutier, Master Carpenter & Shipwright, and their families, came to New France from Perche (between Normandie and Maine) in 1634, I suspect they were all on the same ship or expedition. The men had been recruited/hired by their Seigneur, Robert Giffard de Moncel, who Guyon would later have conflict with. Drouin was much younger than the other two, in 1636 he married Anne Cloutier, daughter of Zacharie; their's is the oldest marriage contract in Canada. But I'm related to Drouin through daughter Marie, a child of his second marriage to Marie Chapelier.

http://www.geni.com/people/Robert-Dr...00002340488093

If I/we've derailed this thread at all, I apologize.

Interesting stuff History & Genealogy.

I think Hilary Clinton could be related to Mrs Bisson a survivor of the Chicago Massacre.
https://archive.org/stream/narrative...0kinz_djvu.txt
During the attack on Fort Dearborn Mrs Bisson continued sewing not knowing when she might receive a tomahawk chop to the head.
Hilary will need that kind of inner strength on her run for the Presidency for sure.

Dad usually tunes in to watch Yannick Bisson (Detective Murdoch) on the Murdoch Mysteries.

Like wise I hope the thread is not derailed!

Have a safe Halloween,

Patrick
Old 25 Jul 16, 18:38
General of the Forums
United_States

I will add to the topic, to include ships of our inland waterways. On the Smithsonian Channel the other day I saw on "Mighty Ships", an episode about the new ship Algoma Equinox. This is not that show, but it is about the Algoma Equinox.

Last edited by lakechampainer; 25 Jul 16 at 19:17..
Old 25 Jul 16, 19:27
General of the Forums
United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_freighter

excerpt

Because these vessels must traverse the locks of the Great Lakes Waterway, they all have features in common, and their appearance differs from similarly sized ocean-going freighters. For instance, they are narrower and generally longer. An early variation of the type (designed by Alexander McDougall and built from 1887 through 1898) was the "whaleback" design, which featured significant tumblehome in the sides of the hull and a rounded bow, looking rather like the back of a whale. Where the superstructure of an ordinary freighter used to have the bridge in the center of the vessel, lake freighters typically have the bridge and associated superstructure on the bow.[citation needed] Traditionally they had a second island, over the engine room in the stern. These dual cabined boats were constructed between 1869 and 1974. R. J. Hackett premiered the style and the second Algosoo was the final vessel designed this way.[citation needed] More recently built lakers, like CSL Niagara, have a single large superstructure island at the stern.

Vessel speeds are not as important on the Lakes as on the ocean. Ports are often closer together than in ocean trade, so cargo capacity is more important than speed. Lake vessels are designed with the greatest box coefficient to maximize the vessel's size in the many locks within the Great Lakes/St Lawrence Seaway system. Therefore, ship designers have favored bluff bows over streamlined bows. After World War II, several ocean freighters and tankers were transported to the Great Lakes and converted to bulk carriers as a way to acquire ships cheaply. Several of them served well in the role and continue to sail today (Lee A. Tregurtha, and a few others).

Another distinguishing feature of Lake vessels versus Ocean vessels is the cargo hatch configuration. On the Lake vessels, the hatches are traditionally spaced 24 feet (7.3 m) apart. This configuration was needed to match the hatches to the loading facilities. At the turn of the 19th century, most ore loading facilities had loading chutes spaced every 12 feet (3.7 m). The ship designers used this pattern for their hatch configuration. This pattern continues today, even with modern Lake vessels. A lake vessel has many more hatches than an ocean vessel of equal length.

The largest deep lock at the Soo is the Poe Lock which is 1,200 feet (370 m) long and 110 feet (34 m) wide. Because of size restrictions, thirty vessels on the lakes can only pass between Lake Superior and Lake Huron using the Poe lock although none approaches the lock's size. Many lakers are restricted to the Lakes, being unable to navigate the St Lawrence Seaway whose locks allow a maximum vessel size of 740 feet (230 m) in length or 78 feet (24 m) in breadth. The shallow draft imposed by the rivers (the controlling depth is 27 feet (8.2 m) in the St. Marys River and 21 feet (6.4 m) in Lake Saint Clair[9]) restricts the cargo capacity of Lakers, but that is partially recovered by their extra length and box design. Since Great Lakes waves never achieve the great length or period of ocean waves, particularly compared to the waves' height, ships are in less danger of being suspended between two waves and breaking, so the ratio between the ship's length, beam and its depth can be a bit larger than that of an ocean-going ship. The Lake vessels generally have a 10:1 length to beam ratio, whereas ocean vessels are typically 7:1. The dimension of locks is the determining factor in Lake vessel construction.
Old 25 Jul 16, 20:07
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Come to St. Loser, we have a bunch of streets named after the ferries they once served. AND the first iron bridge across the Mississippi, the Eads bridge. Eads invented the disappearing gun carriage for Union riverboats during the War of Northern Aggression.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!