StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 06 Feb 11, 15:03
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBlade View Post
Nice thread resurrection.

I still have all my old Avalon Hill games: PanzerBlitz, Starship Troopers, Arab-Israeli Wars, Tobruk. Probably a couple more - that's just off the top of my head.

Good times.
Starship Troopers and PanzerBlitz were a staple in my teens. I have two copies of PanzerBlitz now because we used to play blind games.

I don't play some of the older games, such as Waterloo or PanzerBlitz, anymore because the victory is a forgone conclusion. I wonder how I would feel about Starship Troopers now. It was always set up in my friend's basement through highschool. Right next to Wizard, Melee, and a few other Micro-games.
Old 06 Feb 11, 23:12
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100] BayonetBrant has demonstrated strength of character [100]
John Cooper's Starship Troopers remake counters

Old 07 Feb 11, 02:23
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Wow.
Very nice.
Old 07 Feb 11, 04:14
General of the Forums
France
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayonetBrant View Post
Oooga Oooga SABOT-TANK!

BWAHAHAHA!

Red Cloud Range Complex
Old 25 Feb 11, 13:17
Private
United_States

RustyColeman is a balanced individual [0]
Submarine

I enjoy Submarine and many old AH games. I even have A3R unopened and the original.
Old 30 Apr 11, 00:38
Captain
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99] Brummbar33 is on the path to success [1-99]
I have Anzio (4th edition) set up and ready to go right now.
Old 16 Oct 15, 11:37
Major General
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200]
I'm a died in the wool board gamer from way back.

Loved all the tactical stuff, but they were mind numbing at times. We settled on Storm Over Arnhem, and the really nail biting Thunder At Casssino.

Our group favourite was War & Peace, because of its playability.

My personal favourite, however was VGs CIVIL WAR. I have an unbroken string of Confederate victories, that used to leave my opponents throwing their dice across the room. I aimed to simply conserve my resources, beef up my coastal defences, and use my armies in tandem to suppor one another. No flashy sweep nto the north, no border state offensives that went nowhere. I used to win by the 1864 election, and if I didn't have enough points, the game usually degenerated into a free for all grab for VP cities. Another favourite trick was to use the Union armies as a tactical defense offense. If you could get them at the right moment and position, you can force a retreat into a major river and wipe out an entire army all at once.

THAT used to frustrate opponents to no end! Dice were hurled, the air turned blue....it was great fun!

We even had a large set of dice, fist size, so that people could get a good roll, and incidently have something to toss across the floor whilst swearing profusely!

Magazine games I've got a few of, mainly from command. The best of the lot was a game called Buena Vista, with beautiful uniforms on the Mexican counters, and double sized Mexican Pike units. Lots of units in very cramped terrain. I got that board blown up to double size, and we played that one over and over.

Christopher
Old 16 Oct 15, 11:49
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus Nero View Post
I'm a died in the wool board gamer from way back.

Loved all the tactical stuff, but they were mind numbing at times. We settled on Storm Over Arnhem, and the really nail biting Thunder At Casssino.

Our group favourite was War & Peace, because of its playability.

My personal favourite, however was VGs CIVIL WAR. I have an unbroken string of Confederate victories, that used to leave my opponents throwing their dice across the room. I aimed to simply conserve my resources, beef up my coastal defences, and use my armies in tandem to suppor one another. No flashy sweep nto the north, no border state offensives that went nowhere. I used to win by the 1864 election, and if I didn't have enough points, the game usually degenerated into a free for all grab for VP cities. Another favourite trick was to use the Union armies as a tactical defense offense. If you could get them at the right moment and position, you can force a retreat into a major river and wipe out an entire army all at once.

THAT used to frustrate opponents to no end! Dice were hurled, the air turned blue....it was great fun!

We even had a large set of dice, fist size, so that people could get a good roll, and incidently have something to toss across the floor whilst swearing profusely!

Magazine games I've got a few of, mainly from command. The best of the lot was a game called Buena Vista, with beautiful uniforms on the Mexican counters, and double sized Mexican Pike units. Lots of units in very cramped terrain. I got that board blown up to double size, and we played that one over and over.

Christopher
Dude the fix for civil war is to allow the union to refuse a turn end. It costs the union a vp and can only be done once a turn. Really changes the game into something playable as the union.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 04 May 16, 20:54
Private
United_States

DrZaat is a balanced individual [0]
Still have quite a few Avalon Hill games, including my first--Afrika Korps.

The only ones I've played recently are Dune, Gunslinger, and Titan. Hard to get my buddies to play more complicated, straight-up wargames.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!