StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Age of Formative Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Formative Expansion 1789-1830 To begin with the 1st US President & extend through the Whiskey Rebellion, Quasi War with France, War of 1812, & southeastern Indian wars,

Old 25 Apr 16, 11:43
ACG Forums - General Staff
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Arsenal of Empire Southern Slaveholder & US Military 1850

Hi

Hope this is of some interest:-

Quote:
In late February 1854, Virginia Senator Robert Mercer Taliaferro Hunter rose from his seat to speak on the Kansas-Nebraska bill. Among the augustly named men who populated the political leadership of the antebellum South, Hunter cut no exceptional figure (fig. 1). He had fought no duels, killed no Mexicans, and, relative to Robert Barnwell Rhett or William Lowndes Yancey, he ate very little fire. With his heavy brows and massive head, thick torso and plain, faintly bedraggled waistcoat, Senator Hunter's appearance suggested unpretentious dignity, to his friends, or vegetable torpor, to his opponents. "It is unfortunate," mused his sympathetic son, "that all of Pa's compliments to his mind are the reverse to his person." Even these compliments, such as they were, tended to have a quality of equivocation. "I think he is the sanest, if not the wisest, man in our new-born Confederacy," Mary Chestnut, who liked him, wrote seven years later.

But across the 1850s, Hunter's lumpish sanity earned him a larger share of national influence than many of his more charismatic rivals. As the senior senator from the South's most populous state, chairman of the Finance Committee, and a key member of the formidable F Street Mess—a Washington boarding house that served as unofficial headquarters for pro-slavery politics in the capital—Hunter was one of the most powerful men in the Senate. And during the fierce sectional debate over slavery in the Kansas-Nebraska territory, it was the Virginian's sturdy and conventionally Southern instincts, no less than his seniority or chairmanship, that made his speech worth hearing. Neither a flame-breathing radical nor an ambivalent moderate, Hunter was fully aware of his influence: a "triarch of the slavery party in Congress," one contemporary called him; "the very head and front of the States-rights" men in the Senate, noted another. When he rose to speak on February 24, 1854, colleagues on both sides of the sectional divide had good cause to listen.

Near the end of his 90-minute speech, however, Hunter ventured onto less familiar ground. Without retracting any of his earlier declamations about the urgency of the bill at hand, or the seriousness of the constitutional crisis, the senator paused to consider the entire Kansas-Nebraska controversy from an international perspective. Suddenly, he found its significance wanting. "We stand on the eve of a general European war," he noted, referring to ongoing tensions in the Crimea between Britain, France, Russia, and Ottoman Turkey. With these great powers poised to collide in battle, and the "commerce of the world" wavering uncertainly, Hunter asked, would the United States let itself be "distracted and divided here at home upon the miserable, pitiful question as to the mode in which a given number of slaves are to be divided between the country east and that west of the Mississippi river?" Rather than engage in this petty bickering, Hunter declared, the nation should be "consolidating our columns for the great march which is before us"—the larger international struggle that would define the rest of the nineteenth century.
Full article here:- http://www.common-place-archives.org/vol-12/no-04/karp/

Regards

Andy H

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 01 May 16, 17:40
Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99]
Andy H.

Very nice posting!

It seems to me a common move for some elites at that time period to attempt to distract to prevent to coming ACW by commencement of imperialistic expansion to maybe Central America and Cuba while Europe is in turmoil over the Crimean War. They see it as a patriotic war uniting the US. I was always shocked by Seward same impulse but it was another war with Britain. One should note that one of the chief reasons for failure of Britain and France to recognize the Confederacy was the fear of that said imperialist expansion southward and a spread of slavery that was to come with said expansion.
Old 01 May 16, 20:30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Archer View Post
Andy H.

Very nice posting!

It seems to me a common move for some elites at that time period to attempt to distract to prevent to coming ACW by commencement of imperialistic expansion to maybe Central America and Cuba while Europe is in turmoil over the Crimean War. They see it as a patriotic war uniting the US. I was always shocked by Seward same impulse but it was another war with Britain. One should note that one of the chief reasons for failure of Britain and France to recognize the Confederacy was the fear of that said imperialist expansion southward and a spread of slavery that was to come with said expansion.
I think you're right. Slavery ruled out recognition of the CSA by any prominent European power.
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13
Old 02 May 16, 22:00
Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99] Bo Archer is on the path to success [1-99]
I owe my debt of this understanding from a new book I saw reviewed by its author on Book TV, I think, and it seemed the title was: OUR MAN IN CHARLESTON with the author ---- forgot his name. I wish to fully read it and I know I can find it on Amazon Kindle Books search. It involved the truthful history of a famous British Envoy officer of the Foreign Service who befriended the power elites of Charleston society of high level slaveholders with the pure intent of securing for Great Britain inside knowledge of the pending armed insurrection of the South and its intentions. He was very gifted and his work is heroic with little historical recognition.
Old 03 May 16, 10:33
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Archer View Post
Andy H.

Very nice posting!

Not sure what you mean by Europe in turmoil. Most European countries were not affected by the Crimean war, particularly not Spain the country most likely to take action resulting from an expansion of the nature described. Spain already supported slavery in Cuba which in fact continued until well after the end of the Civil War - indeed the last American slave ships plied between Africa and Cuba

Last edited by MarkV; 03 May 16 at 10:38..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!