StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 06 Feb 16, 14:52
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
British Leadership During the American Revolution

British Leadership During the American Revolution by Andrew Jackson O'Shaughnessy.

This was an outstanding discussion by several scholars on the subject of the British leadership during the war.

Quote:
Published on Jan 5, 2016

As the British soldiers marched from the streets of Yorktown, Virginia on October 17, 1781, their heads hung and their colors remained cased. They marched toward the officers representing General George Washington’s Continental Army where their arms, and pride, was to be surrendered. Each soldier wondered how the increasingly victorious and mighty British Army could possibly be sent into ignoble defeat by their very own colonies. Since that day, scholars, military leaders, and historians have studied the victory of a relatively unprofessional army over their far superior foes. The latest installment in this 234 year debate is the center of a lecture and discussion led by Professor Andrew Jackson O’Shaughnessy in the 4th edition of the First Annual Discussions on Military History Roundtables at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC). Dr. O’Shaughnessy is joined by a panel including Dr. James Scudieri, Senior Historian at the USAHEC, and Dr. Gregory Urwin, Professor of History at Temple University.

The roundtable discussion centers on the arguments made by O’Shaughnessy in his latest book, The Men Who Lost America: British Leadership, the Revolutionary War and the Fate of the Empire. The book follows the careers and decisions of the primary leaders during the war, from King George III himself to the generals on the front line. How could the British, who captured every major American city throughout the war, lose to the colonial forces? O’Shaughnessy weaves a narrative of political turmoil in London undermining the war effort and the fearsome desperation of the American fighters to outline how each of the primary British actors in this martial saga failed to maintain the holdings of the British Empire.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 06 Feb 16, 16:29
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon 

ozjohn39 is on the path to success [1-99] ozjohn39 is on the path to success [1-99] ozjohn39 is on the path to success [1-99] ozjohn39 is on the path to success [1-99] ozjohn39 is on the path to success [1-99] ozjohn39 is on the path to success [1-99]
Had a long discussion on this with an American mate of mine. He hated George 3rd (peace be upon him) with a passion, and blamed him for all sorts of sins.

I have no idea what old George's views were on any subject, but I had to explain that the British Monarch is a toothless tiger when it comes to political or military decisions in Britain. It was Charles 1st who finally confirmed that it was PARLIAMENT that made policy and decisions ever since his demise.

Blame the pollies and the Generals and the Admirals.

(and that 3000 mile supply line!)

John
Old 07 Feb 16, 01:46
Colonel
UK

History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ibis View Post
British Leadership During the American Revolution by Andrew Jackson O'Shaughnessy.

This was an outstanding discussion by several scholars on the subject of the British leadership during the war.

Not one word of the larger French Army and Fleet that were involved in that triumph

I should say I meant in the text not the video.

The video and talk was interesting and informative though maybe they could have delegated a bit more time for questions than they actually did. Otherwise not bad.

Last edited by History fan; 07 Feb 16 at 04:11..
Old 07 Feb 16, 02:04
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjohn39 View Post
Had a long discussion on this with an American mate of mine. He hated George 3rd (peace be upon him) with a passion, and blamed him for all sorts of sins.

I have no idea what old George's views were on any subject, but I had to explain that the British Monarch is a toothless tiger when it comes to political or military decisions in Britain. It was Charles 1st who finally confirmed that it was PARLIAMENT that made policy and decisions ever since his demise.

Blame the pollies and the Generals and the Admirals.

(and that 3000 mile supply line!)

John
And that Britain had to face the French. Spanish and Dutch as well.
Old 13 Mar 16, 12:43
Banned
United_States

Theoferrum is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ibis View Post

Well, that's nice, but the British Crown stated that three of their commanding officers threw the war (Heironimus, Founding Fathers Secret Societies) and I have found that to be perfectly true and I know why they threw the war.

Here is a hint. According to Fereling (Almost a Miracle) Washington was "mesmerized" on taking back New York and would not budge on the subject for six months but as soon as Cornwallis sat on his arse at York Town, Washington ditched the suicidal idea of taking back New York and, instead, went and accepted Cornwallis' surrender at York Town.

Now, none of the experts can explain - or have even noticed as far as I can tell - why the two leading Generals in the conflict both settled on a place called York to end the revolution at.

Why?

If you can't answer that question then its time to go back to school...

Last edited by Theoferrum; 13 Mar 16 at 12:49..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!