StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 04 Aug 15, 06:21
Recruit
United_States

Dubayoo is a balanced individual [0]
What's so "Strategic" About RTS?

Hey. I grew up playing games like Red Alert, Age of Empires 2, and Starcraft, and thought when I was a kid that the SP games were pretty strategic. You turned down the speed to match your reflexes, and paused the game to use your resources and abilities as they came in.

Then, I grew up, played multiplayer, and realized...

...well...

...the genre is plagued by clickfest trolls who confuse spasmatic skills with strategy.

On the other hand, anyone who's been in the military knows how much micromanagement is despised.

(I was going to provide examples for both of these, but you guys don't allow links for users with less than 5 posts.)

Are there any RTS games out there that are actually strategic as in you have to delegate forces, train officers, and focus more on supporting and organizing than actually telling units directly what to do? RTS really just seems like an extension of tactical combat games plus resource management and base building.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind tactical combat games, but that's because you're usually controlling at most one fireteam of 4-6 soldiers where hotkeys are a lot easier to manage. You're not controlling dozens upon dozens of units, and have to zip everywhere in the battlefield to correct how the mechanical interface limits the rules of engagement you can tell your troops to follow.

Also, I'm not talking about grand strategy games here like Hearts of Iron or Europa Universalis. I'm talking about games that still enable you to get involved on a local battlefield. Total War is closer, but units still aren't automated from training officers to follow general doctrines. I'm looking for a game that's based around command and control in your headquarters instead of having to treat every soldier like it's one of your fingers or toes.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 05 Aug 15, 06:33
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Have a look at Scourge of War perhaps, for your 18-19th century tactical needs. There are some strategic options in multiplayer with player-run campaigns though they're not expressly built into the engine.
Old 05 Aug 15, 07:32
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
RTS games are neither strategic nor real time. It is a phrase inventing by the gaming industry that has as much meaning as stringing any two random words together.
Old 05 Aug 15, 10:07
General of the Forums
South_Africa
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

andrewza has a spectacular aura about [400]
andrewza has a spectacular aura about [400]
The supreme ruler games are proper strategy games. There logistics and economy are just as vital to winning as numbers and tech.

CPO Mzinyati
Old 09 Aug 15, 15:09
Recruit
United_States

Dubayoo is a balanced individual [0]
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just really sick and tired of dealing with immature brats who think that hand eye coordination and hotkey memorization are strategic. Those are skills, not strategies. People should go play first person shooters if that's what they're into, not real time strategy games.
Old 09 Aug 15, 18:18
Brigadier General
Canada

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
I quite agree that any game demanding reflexes or hand-eye coordination are not strategic in nature. I will regard games that allow me to issue orders at leisure via Pause function or Turn system to be primarily focused on strategy, even if they are click-intensive due to poor UI design.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 23 Sep 15, 17:39
Private
Israel

Izolirband is a balanced individual [0]
RTS games are super strategic but not only.
Old 24 Sep 15, 18:36
Private
UK

DreamHarvest is a balanced individual [0]
Actually, our game, Failure is kind of like that - the micromanagment of your units is something you don't need to concern yourself with as they all have their own behviours and Ai and will react according to events on the game board by themselves. You actually have to make bigger decisions in Failure such as where to place your buildings and the best tactics to push the enemy back - its about timing and careful placement as well as observing the board and enemy units. It's quite different to the normal RTS style of playing and takes a few games to get used to as you need to learn how the units will behave based on different situations.
Old 25 Sep 15, 09:36
Captain
Canada

Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99] Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99] Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99] Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99] Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99] Wolfleader is on the path to success [1-99]
I would recommend the Wargame Series then. It's a bit more arcadish when compared with the Combat Mission or Graviteam tactics games but it's alot more complex than Starcraft or the C&C series.
Sings we a song of man.
Who smells gold and slays his brother
Old 20 Oct 15, 20:36
Private
United_States

Jessika is a balanced individual [0]
I would highly recommend warzone 2100. You design your own units, there is hundreds of turret types that can be applied to your units and defenses, artillery and specialized sensors like counter battery and vtol, vtol aircraft, hundreds of technologies to research, and on and on.

Id say this game overall is 50/50 in tactics vs strategy but the units are capable of patrolling, retreating at medium damage, holding fire, following commanders, calling in indirect all on their own. Building placement is unlimited but must be done wisely, gradually building your fortress. Research is open with many possibilities and often based upon what your opponent is using.

The campaigns and skirmishes are amazing and id highly suggest getting to know the game before going up against veteran players.
Just remember to hold ctr while doing your building ques.

Another one id quick mention is all strategy Space Federation Galactic Conquest - its a text turn based mmo. Been around since 2003 and the empire you build could span years- long range planning required.
Sponsored Links

Old 22 Dec 15, 12:41
Private
Canada

Al-Zintani is on the path to success [1-99]
I think games like the Total War series, especially their older games, are where RTS' should be headed. If you play on the campaigns, they're half-turn based, half-rts. One of your battles can decide the outcomes of wars, or goals you try to attain. They're a good balance of tactics and strategy, and I really enjoy them as a game. I just really wish they made their campaigns multiplayer instead of singleplayer.
Old 09 Feb 16, 13:03
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300]
A multiplayer campaign mode I think Total War tried that in Shogun 2 Total War. But I wish Creative Assembly would stop simplifying the game mechanics to be more like a Civilization type game. The old M2TW and RTW had so much more to offer and control that R2TW seems boring without the complexity of their earlier games. The battles are even worse. They finish so quickly and its too easy to defeat opponents even when you're outnumbered. Then all the DLC crap they offer which should be part of the game or at least an official expansion. CA has ruined the Total War series. I have enjoyed Assault Squad 2 but its closer to a C&C without a base tactical game. I would love to see the old TW campaign combined with the real time mechanics of Assault Squad 2. That way you can change the course of the war on the campaign and have freedom to pick a battle of your choosing when you want to. Then develop your factories and military academies, which change what weapons, logistic capabilities and tactics are available to you over the course of the war. Would love to see a campaign that started right before WW1 went up to present.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!