StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 29 Sep 15, 17:19
Private
United_States

acctingman is on the path to success [1-99]
Looking for some good WW2 games

Hello

So, I've been trying to find the "perfect" wargame for WW2 and I'm now realizing there is no such thing. I was trying to use Men of War Assault Squad 2 because of the editor (want the ability to make my own battles) and all the mods (every nation involved in WW2 and almost every tank and gun used by each country)...but, I don't like the "arcade" feel to is and quite frankly, the GEM editor is touchy and seldom works properly.

So, here I am with a quandry. I want to come up with a game list for the following time frames of WW2.

Germany vs Poland/Low Countries
North Africa 1940-1943
German invasion of Russia 41-43
Russian counter offensives to Berlin 43-45
Pacific Theater 1942-1945
Allied Invasion of Sicily/Italy
D-Day to Berlin

If I could find games that cover these area that would awesome, but I don't have the knowledge of this gaming genre like most of you have. I'm an old school RPG'er/MMO'er who has a love offair with WW2 and I'm moving on from RPG to WW2.

For a point of reference to what I'm looking for in a game I really like the looks of Achtung Panzer Operation Star

I'd also like the Close Combat series of games. They seem historical accurate.

Anyways, if anyone would care to chime in and present some example games that might fit into the above theaters, you have my deepest thanks!

I will say I do want games that have editors where I can create my own battles. If a game is just pre-built scenarios/campaigns, I would pass on those.

Again, thank you so much for reading this and helping me out.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 29 Sep 15, 18:00
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Well there's WIF if you want a monster game. It's not a rts and rightfully so.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...orld.In.Flames

The close combat series is a good nail biting series of games. Though CC2 is more of a fright fest than Last Stand at Arnhem. That game nerfs the axis a bit much and doesn't include the beloved brit funnies...

I still play it though and would like the funnies to have a role to play.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 03 Nov 15, 12:10
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
The Blitzkreig series was very good, and I would still be playing it if I could, because like you, I enjoy good WWII games but they are impossible to find for later versions of Windows and very few of the older games work on later Windows platforms. Steel Panthers is the only one I have left that still does, and it's turn-based, although it does allow me to construct forces and battles right down to the individual squad level.

Curse you, Bill Gates. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your scrotum.
Old 17 Nov 15, 01:47
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200]
Gary Grigsby's War in the East is probably the most detailed and historically accurate WW2 game that there is. So if you want depth, real commanders with skill ratings, accurate representation of troops, battle field conditions, weather conditions, etc then it's worth checking out.

It is a turn based game though, so gameplay wise it might not be exactly what you're looking for. You might like some of the Combat Mission games. I'm pretty sure they have some WW2 era titles in that series, but I've never been a big fan of their games personally.

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.
Old 17 Nov 15, 02:49
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Panzer General Forever!

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 21 Nov 15, 18:08
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Steel Panthers
Old 22 Nov 15, 15:35
Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99]
Try Unity of Command for a unique game.
Old 23 Nov 15, 01:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
If you want old fashioned board and counter types, nothing beats GDW's Europa series of games.
Old 23 Nov 15, 06:04
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
How about a single-player game for the PC? Naval would be good, but not being (too) picky.

Retro okay, btw.
Old 23 Nov 15, 09:09
Colonel
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200] BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200] BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200] BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200] BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200] BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200] BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200] BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200] BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200] BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200] BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200] BobTheBarbarian is walking in the light [200]
Battlestations: Midway and its sequel Battlestations: Pacific are some pretty fun naval combat games, if more on the 'arcadey' side.
Sponsored Links

Old 23 Nov 15, 09:42
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBarbarian View Post
Battlestations: Midway and its sequel Battlestations: Pacific are some pretty fun naval combat games, if more on the 'arcadey' side.
Thanks.
Old 23 Nov 15, 09:45
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acctingman View Post
Anyways, if anyone would care to chime in and present some example games that might fit into the above theaters, you have my deepest thanks!

I will say I do want games that have editors where I can create my own battles. If a game is just pre-built scenarios/campaigns, I would pass on those.
Have you tried the Combat Mission series ?

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 23 Nov 15, 10:38
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBarbarian View Post
Oooh, $6.99 for the PC.
Old 24 Nov 15, 14:43
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
If you want old fashioned board and counter types, nothing beats GDW's Europa series of games.
No. Advanced Squad Leader is the absolute best and most inclusive board and counter type WWII game. Every participant and every nation with almost every gun, tank or weapon is available. With an active community there are more scenarios than anyone could ever play and more coming every year.
Old 25 Nov 15, 20:55
Captain
United_States

phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
WinSPWW2. It's the updated version of Steel Panthers. Literally, hundreds of scenarios dealing with pre-WW2 to the end of WW2. And best of all, it's free to download.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!