StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Battlefields and Museums > Military / Naval Shows & Weapons Events

Notices and Announcements

Military / Naval Shows & Weapons Events Here you will find discussion of various shows & events - occurring, planned, or scheduled.

Old 20 Sep 09, 14:57
Corporal
United_States

Viper is on the path to success [1-99]
U.S. Navy Blue Angels

These guys are amazing...

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/

Be Advised...I'm mean, nasty, and tired. I eat concertina wire and **** napalm, and can put a round in a flea's ass at 200 meters.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 10 Jan 14, 17:13
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99] Merkava188 is on the path to success [1-99]
I've always wanted to see these guy perform. I got a glimpse of them in Norfolk VA back in 1984 when they still flew A-4s. The coolest performance of the Blue Angels was when Van Halen had a video done of them performing to the Dreams in 1986 to celebrate the Blue Angels 40th anniversary. Another cool thing about their performances is their KC-130 called Fat Albert short take off demos does anyone know if they still perform that?
Old 13 Jan 14, 19:21
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
The A-4 was the prettiest a/c in the diamond that there ever was. The F-18 is a better beast, but long on ugly when in formation. The low pass in the diamond that the F-4 Blues performed was amazing, they'd roar right overhead in about an 80 degree bank.

The Blues flew the F-11 for years. It was a perfect aerobatic aircraft, and very pretty.

The Blues claimed that their most dangerous maneuver was the echelon roll. It is a four plane echelon, and they roll into their wingman. Tricky.

The Birds are nice too. We Naval Aviators always claimed that the Blues were better, and the Air Force guys said the other, which is as it should be. I have no idea which group is really better tho; if any.

One of my very best friends became the Marine Blue Angle. They always have at least one Marine...It is hard to become one and it is known as a career killer.

Last edited by majormack; 13 Jan 14 at 19:28..
Old 13 Jan 14, 19:31
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava188 View Post
I've always wanted to see these guy perform. I got a glimpse of them in Norfolk VA back in 1984 when they still flew A-4s. The coolest performance of the Blue Angels was when Van Halen had a video done of them performing to the Dreams in 1986 to celebrate the Blue Angels 40th anniversary. Another cool thing about their performances is their KC-130 called Fat Albert short take off demos does anyone know if they still perform that?
Yes, indeed. They hang eight jato cans on Fat Albert and fire them all off when he takes off. Always a crowd pleaser.
Old 13 Jan 14, 20:11
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
First time I watched them they were flying the F9F-5-Panther.
From 1985 to 1994 I saw them or the Thunderbirds or the Snowbirds (RCAF)
every year and had the great honor of meeting the pilots and crew every year.
Old 22 Apr 15, 14:22
Corporal
United_States

TM2(SW/AW) is on the path to success [1-99]
Got to see the blues twice. The first time at NAS Miramar, California in 1994. The second time at NAS Brunswick, Maine in 2006.
Old 30 Apr 15, 05:14
Brigadier General
UK

Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I recall seeing the Blue Angels this side of the Pond some while back at an air display. The Red Arrows were also strutting their stuff, so you can imagine the needle match that went on between the teams! Both were very impressive!

https://youtu.be/SFF_ha_bZh4

[ps. My late wife was in the same class as a guy who went on to become 2nd in command of the Red Arrows. When their head master retired, he arranged a Squadron salute over the school. In Bristol - at the time only around 30 miles from where the Red Arrows were based.]

Last edited by Wooden Wonder; 30 Apr 15 at 05:28..
Old 01 Oct 15, 03:07
Sergeant Major
Armchair_General

Redzen has disabled reputation
I remember seeing a documentary on the Blue Angels as a kid in the '60s. I remember it showed them flying aerobatics in the 1950s with the straight-winged jet-fighter, the Grumman F9F Panther, and they were excellent fliers, no doubt about it, and they did some incredible aerobatic manoeuvres. An acquaintance of mine who had been an RAAF helicopter pilot during the '60s and had flown in South Vietnam told me that U.S. Navy pilots were the best military aviators in the world. And I can well believe it.

Last edited by Redzen; 01 Oct 15 at 03:20.. Reason: Add remarks.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!