StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 11 Jul 15, 12:51
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKPLACE View Post
Allegedly, if the Queen likes a P.M. then once a week when he or she comes to the palace to explain how they have run the country that week then they sit in comfy armchairs and have tea and biscuits.
Did she ever break open the gin & tonic with Winnie? Did she explore her emigration options after listening to Callaghan? Did she feel compelled to shower after meeting with Tony Blair? Did she drink alone after hearing a sermon from that sanctimonious Jock Gordo Brown?

Quote:
If she doesn't like them then her majesty sits at her desk and the P.M. stands for the duration of the interview.
I'm sure Brown elected to stand all on his own: it made him feel superior.

Quote:
I am told she gets a copy of the Queens Speech about a week before the ceremony so she has time to practice her expressionless face. Having said that I have a suspicion that if she wasn't a ruling monarch she'd make a damp good poker player.
She's a little weak in voice though. She really needs to work on her projection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Often wondered how HM would react to various US presidents were they to have regular meetings (perhaps in some alternative history). With Ike I can image a cordial but very formal meeting
Everyone got along with Ike. Her father got along with Ike. That was the secret to his success.

Quote:
how she would react to JFK I cannot imagine.
Prepared with a trip to Victoria's Secret?

Quote:
She might find LBJ a bit coarse.
She could've met Jumbo.

Quote:
With Nixon there would be a certain iciness I suspect especially post Watergate.
Their conversion would be recorded.

Quote:
She'd probably wouldn't get much out of Ford
Didn't Ford step on her while they were dancing during our bicentennial?

Quote:
might find Jimmy Carter over familiar.
Royal eyes roll.

Quote:
Regan I think she should be able to have a laugh with.
That's assuming he was awake.

Quote:
Bush senior she might consider a bit stiff.
He'd regale her with tale of the CIA.

Quote:
With Clinton I think she might adopt a more in sorrow than in anger attitude, especially post the Lewinsky scandal.
He'd have old Liz in a used Ford in no time.

Quote:
With Bush Junior I image she'd speak quite slowly and in simple terms
Don't forget the pictures.

Quote:
and with Obama I think she'd be back to cordial but formal.
Double eye roll.

Quote:
But others may (all most certainly will) think differently
The good news is that they're in and out right quick. Just out of curiosity, did she ever meet with Alex Salmond?
Old 11 Jul 15, 15:09
Brigadier General
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700] Marmat is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Dum-de-dum

Quote:
Did she ever break open the gin & tonic with with Winnie?
Don't think so, they ran in different circles - she was a virginal teen, he was an unattractive old guy - there was no future in it.

Quote:
Did she explore her emigration options after listening to Callaghan?
Didn't everyone?

Quote:
Did she feel compelled to shower after meeting with Tony Blair?
Hmm, heard that Blair was a family man and kept refusing her?

Quote:
Did she drink alone after hearing a sermon from that sanctimonious Jock Gordo Brown?
Nah, she drank with her good buddy Wiser, Jack Daniel's, and his partner Jimmy Beam, pal Johnny Walker his brothers Black and Red, and lastly there was her good Old Grand-Dad.

Quote:
I'm sure Brown elected to stand all on his own: it made him feel superior.
He's better than us.

Quote:
She's a little weak in voice though. She really needs to work on her projection.
She had to birth kids with long horselike faces and big ears, plus she's 89 years old, cut her a bit of slack.

Quote:
Everyone got along with Ike. Her father got along with Ike. That was the secret to his success.
Agreed, the King heard some nice things about Ike, had folks open some doors for him, that's how Ike got his start.

Quote:
Prepared with a trip to Victoria's Secret?
Nah, JFK liked German girls who were still German and spied for the enemy.

Quote:
She could've met Jumbo.
I'm sure she did, Field Marshal Henry Maitland Wilson, 1st Baron Wilson aka "Jumbo" Wilson, was Ike's deputy in the Med. I have no doubt that Jumbo told the King what a nice fella Ike was, the King invited him to invade Europe.

Quote:
Their conversion would be recorded.
Aren't they all?

Quote:
Didn't Ford step on her while they were dancing during our bicentennial?
Yep, after HRH refused to buy the plans of the defences of West Point from him.

Quote:
Royal eyes roll.
They're better than us.

Quote:
That's assuming he was awake.
No big deal, he's dead now anyway.

Quote:
He'd regale her with tale of the CIA.
Nah, they'd talk WWII, when he drove "Aeroplanes", and she drove "Lorries".

Quote:
He'd have old Liz in a used Ford in no time.
I'm think'in more like a Bedford, with a stick.

Quote:
Don't forget the pictures.
Burned into my eye sockets.

Quote:
Double eye roll.
Wish I could.

Quote:
The good news is that they're in and out right quick. Just out of curiosity, did she ever meet with Alex Salmond?
Salmond? I believe the Duke aka Mr. Queen, catches them in rivers near Balmoral with his rod and fly, brings them home.
Old 12 Jul 15, 19:49
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmat View Post
Agreed, the King heard some nice things about Ike, had folks open some doors for him, that's how Ike got his start.
Jealous, your are!

Over paid, over sexed, and over here. That was your complaint about us.

Are you sure it was not that you were under paid, under sexed, and under Eisenhower?
Old 13 Jul 15, 05:39
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

MarkV is simply cracking [600]
MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600] MarkV is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmat View Post

I believe the Duke aka Mr. Queen, catches them in rivers near Balmoral with his rod and fly, brings them home.
Don't you mean 'man belong Mrs Queen' as the natives of Tanna refer to him.? They apparently worship him as part of a cargo cult

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!