StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Alternate Timelines > Xtreme Alternate History

Notices and Announcements

Xtreme Alternate History Alternatives to History with No Holds Barred!

Old 24 Jun 15, 19:57
Lieutenant General
Mexico

Draco is on the path to success [1-99] Draco is on the path to success [1-99] Draco is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
Well, since the Blackburn Roc only operated from shore bases for its entire (and thankfully short) career...

I'd say using one from a carrier is going to be problematic...
It was a carrier plane, a Skua with a turret, instead of a bomb.
I just mentioned it. because of its record short useful life.

I would have designed the Albatros like this:
Crew of 2 instead of 3, same engine and propeller, 540 ft2 wing (instead of 623 ft2). The wings have only struts (no cables, which produce a lot of drag), like the best biplanes even in WW I. This plane is much faster, easier to produce, more stable and less expensive, requires much less hangar and deck space and only 2 men are lost in the worst case. She still lands at a lower speed than the Sea Hurricane.
Why did torpedo planes have to have 3 people, while dive bombers had 2 and found their way to the IJN CVs and back in Midway?
Old 24 Jun 15, 20:15
Lieutenant General
Mexico

Draco is on the path to success [1-99] Draco is on the path to success [1-99] Draco is on the path to success [1-99]
Another wasted opportunity was the Avro Anson, a twin engine plane with ridiculous 350 hp, radial engines which was used mosty for training crews. Ahe had comparable power to a Swordfish in a muhc more expensive monoplane11,000 were produced!

A version with Perseus engines (like the Skua's) would have been very useful as a twin seat torpedo bomber, night fighter, advanced trainer, tank buster and ground support plane, etc,

Last edited by Draco; 24 Jun 15 at 20:53..
Old 28 Jun 15, 13:34
Colonel
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200] Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200] Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200] Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200] Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200] Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200] Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200] Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200] Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200] Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200] Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200] Doveton Sturdee is walking in the light [200]
Sorry. Couldn't resist it.

Remember this from Mr. Draco's post 280? :-

144 carrier planes (64S, 38K and 42G, 30 attacking Taranto & 12 for CAP) are involved and 12 each Torpedo-Beauforts, Marylands and Beufighters from Malta.

Ark Royal has 38 planes (18S, 8K, 12G).
Illustrious and Furious each have 32 planes (12S, 8K, 12G)
Argus has 18 planes (10S, 5K, 3G)
Eagle has 14 planes (6S, 5K, 3G)
Hermes has 10 planes (6S, 4K)

Well, aside from the fact that there were no Beaufighters, and only three Photo-Reconnaissance Marylands, on Malta at the time, The figures for the carrier air groups are simply idiotic. As my requests for detailed sources met with silence, as they always do when anyone asks him to produce anything substantial to justify his silliness, I can only assume that, as appears generally to be the case, they are simply made up.

I hadn't intended to place anything more on this thread, but as I had already done the research, I have changed my mind and will present this one last contribution.

The following is the actual state of the Fleet Air Arm in September, 1940 :-

In September, 1940, the Fleet Air Arm had 23 operational squadrons, all numbered in a series between 800 & 830. Within this series, of course, there were some gaps. 802 (Sea Gladiators) was lost when HMS Glorious was sunk, and not reformed until November 1940 (with Martlets). 805, 809, & 817 were not formed until 1941, 811 & 822 (both Swordfish) were lost aboard HMS Courageous, and 803 (Skuas) & 821(Swordfish) disbanded following heavy losses.

At sea aboard carriers were :-

Ark Royal : 810, 818, & 820 Squadrons (30 Swordfish), 808 (12 Fulmars), and 800 (12 Skuas).

Illustrious :- 815 & 819 Squadron (18 Swordfish), and 806 (15 Fulmars).

Furious :- 816 & 825 Squadron (18 Swordfish), and 801 ( 9 Skuas).

Eagle :- 824 Squadron (9 Swordfish), and 813 (9 Swordfish & 3 Sea Gladiators).

Hermes :- 814 Squadron (12 Swordfish).

Argus :- Deck Landing Training Carrier.

The remaining nine squadrons were located as follows:-

804 (Sea Gladiators) at Hatston. Re-equipped with Martlets in October, 1940.

807 (Fulmars). Just formed (September, 1940). Based at Worthy Down.

812 (Swordfish) At North Coates, temporarily transferred to Coastal Command.

823 (Swordfish) At Hatston.

826 (Albacores) Just formed, but with Coastal Command at Bircham Newton, pending transfer to HMS Formidable in November.

827 (Albacores) Just formed. Training at RNAS Yeovilton.

828 (Albacores) Just formed. At Lee-on-Solent.

829 (Albacores) At Ford, Sussex, pending transfer to HMS Formidable in November.

830 (Swordfish) Formed from 767(Deck Landing Training) Squadron, at Hal Far in July, 1940. At Hal Far.

The interesting things to note are:-

There only ever were two Sea Gladiator Squadrons, and the surviving one was at a FAA land base, not on a carrier, in September, 1940, and was about to re-equip in any case.

There only ever were four Skua Squadrons. One (803) didn't exist in September, and a second (806) had re-equipped with Fulmars in July.

That is it, Gentlemen. I won't be bothering with this particular idiotic thread again.

Unless, of course, Mr. Draco produces unimpeachable evidence to prove me wrong.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!