StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > Age of Pike and Shot

Notices and Announcements

Age of Pike and Shot 30 Years War, War of Spanish Succession, English Civil War, etc.

Old 27 Jan 14, 19:59
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
As French Marshal Lefebvre once said, 'It is better to be an ancestor than to have them.'

The meaning being that it is better to make your own name and way in the world than to rely on the name of your ancestors.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 27 Jan 14, 20:35
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
In the age of Pike and Shot the Scottish side of my family was fighting each other and fighting the British. No info on the native side. Probably living peacefully in the last days before the Europeans arrived. My German ancestors were farmers.
Can understand you having that photo of the German gentleman,but why Napoleon? lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 02 Jun 15, 14:29
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
One was a radical preacher who had to take his flock to Leyden and later persuade them to move to the new world (he most have been a proto management consultant because he didn't take his own advice and go as well but there is a painting of him on Capital Hill ) some of his sons went but at least one returned to Britain and supported the Parliamentary cause (I still have a book that belonged to him). One was a German master mariner shipping timber from the Baltic to the North East of Britain where he finally settled. Some others moved down from Scotland to the North East to "avoid a little argument over a covenant." That's the English side I can only trace the Irish back to about 1780 and most of them were in the Church of Ireland (vicars, canons, a bishop, cathedral organists etc etc) so its not difficult to guess where their loyalties would have lain in the 17th century
Old 04 Jun 15, 05:49
Brigadier General
UK

Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The earliest I have worked back to so far is a branch of Border Reivers. It seems that when they weren't selling themselves off to the highest bidding Army, that they went plundering and pillaging either side of the Scottish-English marches in rather laissez-faire fashion. When they weren't doing that the Reiver clans took up having a go at each other and keeping established 'vendettas' brewing. {Elliotts watch out!]

On a gentler note I had a 'poet ancestor' who was favoured of Henry VIII.

Down the time line there was one who was a sidekick of the Duke of Monmouth, and who ended up getting hanged as a 'King's traitor' after the Battle of Sedgemoor. [His name was mentioned on a BBC Radio historic drama some years back.]

Yet another was Lt. Governor of St. Helena at the time Napoleon was 'retired' there.

Most families, if you have the time and resources to trawl and fish about not just 'vertically', but also 'laterally' will find interesting characters in their closets.

On my mother's side I can go back to the early 1700s, but they are mostly Irish peasant stock, although a few did get caught up in various 'Independence' issues, both at home and in India.
Old 07 Jun 15, 15:09
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
On my fathers side I'm probably from one of these fellows from France.
Jean Guyon Bisson 1592-1663
http://www.perche-quebec.com/files/p...guyon-jean.htm
Gervais Bisson 1601-1671
http://www.geni.com/people/Gervais-B...00006430854074

Regards,

Patrick
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!