StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare by Other Means

Notices and Announcements

Warfare by Other Means Economics, demographics, cultural, technological, and other factors that have affected the course of history.

Old 30 Mar 15, 00:33
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
command vs control

I would ask the Mods to move this to the proper site.

In his article from Civil War magazine, A. C. Guelzo wrote a phrase I had learned long ago from a Sgt Major in University ROTC. I know the program brings guffaws from many members, but in the 60's-70's our cadre were Airborne Rangers or SPF all from at least one tour in VN. Requesting ROTC posting was a chance for the free degrees both BA’s and MS’s, which gave them a boost in their futures, resulted in our excellent training.
Sgt Major Brunty talked to a group of us in an informal setting and pressed the point that there is a difference between “Command and Control”. It was an idea I carried with me throughout my life. I wonder if members have any stories or comments about the idea. I don’t mean this to be a ACW thread, but open to all military situations.

http://www.historynet.com/how-meade-won-gettysburg.htm

Last edited by GCoyote; 18 May 15 at 09:54.. Reason: spelling
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 30 Mar 15, 15:58
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The article cited is more about command and politics than command and control. The former is the prevue of generals while the latter has to do with handling troops in battle.
Old 31 Mar 15, 12:40
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
While command and control are different, they work in an integrated system. The command is the decision-making by the commander, the staff and other supporting agencies. I thrives on positive feedback loops from intelligence collection systems and sources on the enemy, collection of weather and terrain information, subordinate reports on friendly situation and dispositions, bomb damage assessments.... The positive feedback is for the development of an estimate and courses of action for the command decision. After a decision is made, negative feedback loops to subordinate commanders, units and agencies are controlled with orders, directives, guidance, priorities, task organization/resource allocation. The communications and data links are integral to the command and control system.

The positive and negative feedback loops continue to work after the decision and initial orders forming a complex adaptive command and control. Positive feedback is looking for additional enemy forces and dispositions as well as reaction to friendly actions and capabilities. Such feedback will general considerations for alternative courses of actions or fragmentary orders, guidance, reallocation of forces and resources.

Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 31 Mar 15 at 12:53..
Old 31 Mar 15, 12:52
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
The command and control in well organized and understood feedback loops is the hallmark of a complex adaptive combat force which can change in the course of battle. It can task organized as necessary changing a force package of an armored force linked with artillery, engineer and intelligence support for a penetration attack or be repackaged as an attack helicopter force linked to intelligence finding enemy air defense assets and passing the targets to artillery or air for a cross-FLOT (Forward Line of Troops) attack.

Since the 1990's I have been advocating that a new book, On Future War, should replace Clauswitz's On War which is based on Newtonian science giving notions of the fog of war and friction when we should be taking queues from the modern sciences of chaos and complexity, using terms like complex adaptive forces, entropy (vice friction), dissipative structures, strange attractors, self-organizing forces. These complex adaptive forces could take battle across the edge of chaos, inducing an instability in the enemy force while the friendly adaptive force could reach a stability faster than its enemy to inflict defeat.

We have seen this inducement of instability in an enemy force from a predisposition of forces, for example the Spartan and Frederickan oblique marches against a line defense.
Old 17 May 15, 02:39
First Lieutenant
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Soothesayer is on the path to success [1-99] Soothesayer is on the path to success [1-99] Soothesayer is on the path to success [1-99] Soothesayer is on the path to success [1-99] Soothesayer is on the path to success [1-99] Soothesayer is on the path to success [1-99]
'Command' and 'Control' are each defined in AAP-06 NATO glossary of terms and definitions., which is available online at nsa.nato.int/nsa/zPublic/ap/aap6/AAP-6.pdf

command1 / commandement1
The authority vested in an individual of the armed forces for the direction, coordination, and control of military forces.
29 May 2002

command2 / commandement2
An order given by a commander;
that is, the will of the commander
expressed for the purpose of
bringing about a particular action.
29 May 2002

command3 / commandement3
A unit, group of units, organization or area under the authority of a single individual.
29 May 2002

command4 / commander2
To dominate an area or situation.
29 May 2002

command5 / commander1
To exercise command.
Related term(s): administrative
control; full command; functional
command; national command;
operational command.
29 May 2002

control1 / contrôle
The authority exercised by a
commander over part of the
activities of subordinate
organizations, or other
organizations not normally under
his command, that encompasses
the responsibility for implementing
orders or directives.
30 Jan 2012

control2 / réseau de points de
contrôle
In mapping, charting and
photogrammetry, a collective term for a system of marks or objects on the earth or on a map or a photograph, whose positions or elevations, or both, have been or will be determined.

Related term(s): administrative
control; command2; full command;
operational command; operational
control; tactical control.
01 Sep 1981
Old 17 May 15, 03:09
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Sooth, thanks for bringing back a Bad Thread posting. I wrote it poorly.

My original idea was to ask about the demands of a small unit, (Squad,Platoon or Company) leaders when dealing with the difference between Command, (the book) and Control, (the personal side). I don't know if anyone would like to post on the difference at this late date, but would certainly appreciate them.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!