StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Age of Formative Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Formative Expansion 1789-1830 To begin with the 1st US President & extend through the Whiskey Rebellion, Quasi War with France, War of 1812, & southeastern Indian wars,

Old 05 Feb 15, 17:27
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Fur Trade Books

I'm reading the following books on the North American Fur Trade:
1. Company of Adventurers by Peter C Newman
2.Ceasars of the Wilderness by Peter C Newman
3. Empire of the Bay by Peter C Newman
4. Superior Rendezvous - Place: Fort William in the Canadian Fur Trade by Jean Morrison.
There is a lot of information available in these books some I own and others are on loan from the public library.
Does anybody know of a good book on John Jacob Astor?

Cheers,

Patrick
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 23 Feb 15, 15:19
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
In addition to the books read above I'm adding:
The Exploration of North America, 1630-1776 by: William P Cumming, S Hillier D. B. Quinn it has great maps and pictures of Early North America & it is a great read.
Emperor of the North (Sir George Simpson and the Story of the Hudson's Bay Company by James Raffan also complements Peter C Newmans books well telling the story of the Fur Traders in N.A.

If I find anymore I'll log them here as well.

Regards,
Patrick
Old 07 Mar 15, 13:14
First Lieutenant
Canada

Adding to the list: First Across the Continent : Sir Alexander Mackenzie by Barry Gough.
The book includes his 1789 journey to the Arctic Ocean & 1793 journey to the Pacific.
Taken from his celebrated book Voyages from Montreal translated into French. Napoleon Bonaparte read this book with special interest in the Spanish attack on Fort Michilimackinac in 1781.
Alexander Mackenzie learned of Methye Portage accessing Athabaska Country from his mentor Peter Pond a great explorer in his own right.
Old 08 Mar 15, 22:21
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] KRJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Journal of a Trapper by Osborne Russell is a good personal memoir.
Old 09 Mar 15, 15:03
First Lieutenant
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRJ View Post
Thanks I'll have to see if I can find that one in the Public Library here lots depends on where you are located in North America as far as book popularity.
Peter Pond & John Jacob Astor are characters of interest to me as well. I may have to check out amazon for books on those fellows.
I just finished David Thompson: Travels in Western North America by Victor G. Hopwood.
David Thompson was a surveyor & map maker for the Hudson's Bay Company & North West Company.
His famous map of North America is hanging in the Great Hall in Old Fort William it was a good source of information for Lewis & Clark.
David Thompson like Doctor John McGlaughlin Chief Factor of Fort Vancouver (Portland Oregon) were both believer's in the importance of settlement in the West.
Most employed in the Fur Trade were not pro settlement like: William McGillivray (NWC), Alexander McKenzie ( NWC & XY Company) or Sir George Simpson (HBC).
There was fighting over land between the Fur Trading Company's and settlers especially in the Red River Area (Winnipeg).
I believe that the Spaniards that came up the Mississippi to attack & pillage Fort Mackinaw used Fishing Smack's (A Knock Off of a Viking Ship) just like the Hudson's Bay Company York Boats which were also a Norseman Knock off.
I can see why Napoleon Bonaparte would have had Alexander Mackenzie's book Voyages from Montreal translated into French as the capture of Fort Mackinaw ( The Gibraltar of the Great Lakes) would be of particular interest.
Napoleon was apparently intended to do something of the sort after the campaign in Russia but War like American Foot Ball is an unpredictable game.

I find American Football (Invented @ McGill University, Montreal, Quebec) to be the closest thing to actual war but just like in Arm Chair General Nobody Dies.
I'll see if I can pull up a link on American Football...
http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2014/05/14/h...l-may-14-1874/

Sincerely

Dogood

Last edited by SmackUm; 09 Mar 15 at 15:21..
Old 11 Mar 15, 18:38
First Lieutenant
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRJ View Post
I could not find that book in our public library but I did find McGillivray (Lord of the Northwest) by Marjorie Wilkins Campbell.
The Honourable William McGillivray was the founder of Fort William, Ontario, Canada (The Lakehead).
After the American Revolution the North West Company's main depot @ Grand Portage, Minnesota (also called the Lakehead in early documents) was relocated on the banks of the Kaministiquia River close the Duluth's first fort on Lake Superior Fort Caministigoyan.
Many well known people in the Fur Trade like: Peter Pond, Alexander Mackenzie, David Thompson, John Jacob Astor, Doctor McLaughlin, Simon Fraser and many others came in contact with him during his life.

On Amazon I've looked up Freshwater Passages: (The Trade & Travels of Peter Pond) by David Chapin...The Elusive Mr. Pond: The Soldier, Fur Trader & Explorer Who Opened the Northwest by Barry Gough... & John Jacob Astor: America's First Multi Millionaire by Axel Modsen.
Has anybody read these or do you have any book recommendations as far as Peter Pond & John Jacob Astor go?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 12 Mar 15, 09:28
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99] taco is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackUm View Post
I could not find that book in our public library...

Regards,

Patrick
This book is on archive.org. They have four copies listed at the link below.

Journal of a Trapper by Osborne Russell
Old 12 Mar 15, 12:26
First Lieutenant
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco View Post
This book is on archive.org. They have four copies listed at the link below.

Journal of a Trapper by Osborne Russell
Thanks Taco!

Regards

Patrick
Old 18 Mar 15, 15:39
First Lieutenant
Canada

Adding to this list my most recent read Ancient Mariner by Ken McGoogan (The life story of Samuel Hearne).
Samuel Hearne was a sailor with the Royal Navy during the Seven Years War who served under Captain Hood.
He latter worked for the Hudson's Bay Company as an Explorer and Chief Factor @ Fort Prince of Wales.
Ken McGoogan tells a lively story about his life and times.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 31 Mar 15, 16:58
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
This is one that I only know about because he is a distant relative......

http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Sublette-.../dp/0806111119

Peace through superior firepower.
Sponsored Links

Old 02 Apr 15, 14:01
First Lieutenant
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Williams View Post
This is one that I only know about because he is a distant relative......

http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Sublette-.../dp/0806111119
Thanks Lance...
I'll have to look him up when I get my turn @ the computer I'd think he would be a Free Trader in Oregon Territory.
Have you seen this website: http://mtmen.org/mtman/mmarch.html

I usually just pick up a book from the public library when I'm stuck in side due to winter or up at the cabin and have no internet service.

My latest are: Travels And Adventures in Canada and Indian Territory between the years 1760 and 1776 by Alexander Henry (The Elder) ,
The Voyageur by Grace Lee Nute , The Fur Trade & Early Western Exploration by Clarence A. Vandiveer.

Most names in town here and a lot in North America in general are related to someone in the Fur Trade.

I'll try and find something on that fellow and post!

Regards'

Patrick
Old 05 Apr 15, 16:40
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
Some of my favorite books on the fur trade. I've mostly focused my studies on the 18th to early 19th century, and the Great Lakes region:

The John Askin Papers. John Askin was a British fur trader out of Michilimackinac and Detroit in the late 18th century.
http://mmm.lib.msu.edu/record.php?id=12239

The Falcon by John Tanner. Tanner was kidnapped in 1790 at age 10 from Kentucky by some Shawnee and taken to Michigan where he lived with and became fully acculturated with the Ojibwe in northern Michigan and Canada. His account of his life was published in 1830 and shows the harsh reality of Native life in the fur trade.

My First Years in the Fur Trade: the Journals of 1802-1804 by George Nelson. Nelson became a clerk in the fur trade at a young age (about 16), and this book describes his steep learning curve and not so glamorous life of a fur trader.

Making the Voyageur World: Travelers and Traders in the North American Fur Trade by Podruchny.

The Middle Ground: Indians, Empires, and Republics in the Great Lakes Region, 1650-1815 by Richard White.

A Journey to the Northern Ocean: The Adventures of Samuel Hearne by Samuel Hearne.

Birchbark Canoes of the Fur Trade by Timothy Kent.
Old 12 Apr 15, 16:43
First Lieutenant
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
Some of my favorite books on the fur trade. I've mostly focused my studies on the 18th to early 19th century, and the Great Lakes region:

The John Askin Papers. John Askin was a British fur trader out of Michilimackinac and Detroit in the late 18th century.
http://mmm.lib.msu.edu/record.php?id=12239

The Falcon by John Tanner. Tanner was kidnapped in 1790 at age 10 from Kentucky by some Shawnee and taken to Michigan where he lived with and became fully acculturated with the Ojibwe in northern Michigan and Canada. His account of his life was published in 1830 and shows the harsh reality of Native life in the fur trade.

My First Years in the Fur Trade: the Journals of 1802-1804 by George Nelson. Nelson became a clerk in the fur trade at a young age (about 16), and this book describes his steep learning curve and not so glamorous life of a fur trader.

Making the Voyageur World: Travelers and Traders in the North American Fur Trade by Podruchny.

The Middle Ground: Indians, Empires, and Republics in the Great Lakes Region, 1650-1815 by Richard White.

A Journey to the Northern Ocean: The Adventures of Samuel Hearne by Samuel Hearne.

Birchbark Canoes of the Fur Trade by Timothy Kent.
Thanks for the reply Hired Goon!

I really believe that comment on "The Harsh Realities of Life" during this time period.

I've looked into the meaning of Windigo " Canibals" there was a case of Fur Traders eating human flesh on Windigo Bay, Lake Nipigon near our cabin.
https://legionmagazine.com/en/2003/0...e-the-windigo/

There is a catering company in town called Windigo Catering kind of an odd name for a catering company eh!

Regards,

Patrick
Old 14 Apr 15, 14:27
First Lieutenant
Canada

My latest reads are: The North West Company by Marjorie Wilkins Campbell & Company of Adventurers (The Story of The Hudson's Bay Company).

I'm always learning new things from different authors.
The books I've been reading give a definite feeling of what a dangerous time period this was to live in.
Cannibals were not as uncommon during the period as I once thought.
This fear would be ever present when Explorers went forth into the great unknown continent.
The Indians of the Pacific were the most fearsome known for eating humans (Long Pig)alive.
During Alexander Mackenzies expedition in 1793 to Bella Coola, British Columbia the voyageurs including (Baptiste Bisson) on my fathers side were quite afraid of the Pacific Tribes.
Probably they would have heard tales of the cannibals of the Pacific handed down from Captain Cook & Vancouver.
When Alexander Mackenzie wrote the words on a rock @ Bella Coola, BC (From Canada by land Alexander Mackenzie 1793 the natives coming to attack turned away after seeing his shinny Sextant.
They thought him to be some kind of a Witch or Sorcerer of some kind.

Many of the Native American Tribes held odd beliefs of such things.
In Alexander Henry's Journal there is mention of the Ojibway worshiping a Rattle Snake on a portage possibly a hang over from an ancient past Egypt?

There was also mention of cannibals @ Fort Mackinac in Alexander Henry's Journal.
These folks could no doubt have used a copy of Henry David Thoreau's books on making Maple/ Birch Syrup!

Regards,

Patrick
Old 30 Apr 15, 11:50
First Lieutenant
Canada

Adding to the list these are from the French Regime: Champlain's Dream (The visionary who made a New World in Canada) By David Hackett Fisher. Ghost Empire (How the French Almost Conquered North America) By Philip Machand and The Search for the Western Sea (The Story of Exploration of North Western America) By Lawrence J Burpee.

Regards,

Patrick

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!