StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare by Other Means

Notices and Announcements

Warfare by Other Means Economics, demographics, cultural, technological, and other factors that have affected the course of history.

Old 25 Apr 15, 09:44
ACG Forums - General Staff
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
The DoD's Cyber Strategy

Hi

This is a rather impressive document.
http://www.defense.gov/home/features...GY_for_web.pdf

I hope its of some interest and may well be viewed either separately or n conjunction with an earlier ACG Thread about Cyper Warfare 2015 http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=155117

Regards

Andy H

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 26 Apr 15, 08:43
Lieutenant General
UK

Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200]
It's certainly an area we need to bolster. By all accounts, enemies of the West see our reliance on computers, satellites and software to be a weakness that can be turned against us.
Old 26 Apr 15, 08:49
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Since Russia and China are abusing our systems we should cut them off from our sections of the internet.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 26 Apr 15, 08:53
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Hi E2V

Indeed.
An American Military R&D firm were looking into a across platform F&C system, but one of the main drawbacks they identified early on was that wholes swathes of equipment could be rendered useless by a single non-specific attack.

GCHQ in the UK is now estimated to be spending more on defending our civil computer infrastructures, than either attacking the numerous terrorist threats or cracking other nations codes/cyphers etc.

Regards

Andy H

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower
Old 26 Apr 15, 08:55
Armchair_General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaha View Post
Since Russia and China are abusing our systems we should cut them off from our sections of the internet.
Hi Bwaha

Easier said than done, as many are re-routed numerous times through proxies or unknown infected friendly PC's and PC systems.

Regards

Andy H

Old 26 Apr 15, 09:22
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Russian hackers 'accessed Obama's unclassified emails'

Hey Andy.

I feel just because something is difficult doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Oh btw the Russians hacked Bobo's email account. I wonder what kind of dirt they found...

His password was something lame like user probably...

Russian hackers who gained access to the White House computer system last year were able to read President Obama's unclassified emails, the New York Times has reported.
It said the breach was far more intrusive than previously admitted.
Officials have conceded that sensitive information was in the unclassified system the hackers accessed.
The discovery of the hacking in October led to a partial shutdown of the White House email system.
Highly secure

"The hackers, who also got deeply into the State Department's unclassified system, do not appear to have penetrated closely guarded servers that control the message traffic from Mr Obama's BlackBerry, which he or an aide carries constantly," the New York Times said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32471408

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 26 Apr 15, 09:38
Armchair_General

Quote:
Hey Andy.

I feel just because something is difficult doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Oh btw the Russians hacked Bobo's email account. I wonder what kind of dirt they found...

His password was something lame like user probably...

Russian hackers who gained access to the White House computer system last year were able to read President Obama's unclassified emails, the New York Times has reported.
It said the breach was far more intrusive than previously admitted.
Officials have conceded that sensitive information was in the unclassified system the hackers accessed.
The discovery of the hacking in October led to a partial shutdown of the White House email system.
Highly secure

"The hackers, who also got deeply into the State Department's unclassified system, do not appear to have penetrated closely guarded servers that control the message traffic from Mr Obama's BlackBerry, which he or an aide carries constantly," the New York Times said.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32471408
Hi Bwaha

Oh I don't disagree that we should try, just that we should be realistic in our ability to do this in the first place, and then the harder ongoing job of keeping up to date and effective.

Yes I read about Obama emails being hacked.

Regards

Andy H

Old 26 Apr 15, 09:44
General of the Forums
United_States

I'm far from being a expert on the subject, but I would guess that if you cut the communications from satellites that service the bad guys it would cut their volume considerably.

Old 26 Apr 15, 10:37
Lieutenant General
UK

Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200] Escape2Victory is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
I'm far from being a expert on the subject, but I would guess that if you cut the communications from satellites that service the bad guys it would cut their volume considerably.
I think it is the west that has the bigger reliance on satellites. GPS is used extensively in military and civilian use. If we ever fight a war with China, Russia and perhaps Iran, our satellites will be taken down either hard kill with missiles or soft kill with cyber attacks. The barriers to entry for these attacks is getting lower and perhaps one day the likes of Al Q may attempt it.

Therefore our resilience planning must allow for weapons and civilian life to continue even if we lose our sateliites.

Arguably in the same we fought a Cold War with Russia, we are now fighting an information war with Russia, China, Islamic State and others. Moreover we are also arguably losing this war, or at least enough battles to be a worry.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!