StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 14 Sep 07, 21:22
Private
United_States

blusock is on the path to success [1-99]
1944game.com

I've only seen one post about this game in the Search, and it only mentioneda mod for Half life 2. I'd like to let everyone know that the developers have moved on to create their own engine, and that it's actually pretty close to completion. from the site:

"1944 D-Day Operation Overlord is the simulation of an event. It does not strive to tell the story of one unit or one squad. Instead it endeavors to tell the story of the battle. The game at its core is driven by a highly adaptable AI system, this AI system controls over 250,000 units in real-time. Moving them all around the battlefield and adapting their orders, objectives and tasks to an every evolving battlefield.

As the player the game is in your control. You have the ability to choose from any unit in the battlefield, so you will always find something interesting to take part in. If you are a war nut, fan of tanks, planes, infantry or squad based combat, or just interested in large scale first person shooters. 1944 D-Day Operation Overlord will always have something distinct and interesting to offer you."

I've browsed the FAQ and QandA forums and from what I've read the amount of detail will be amazing. For instance, in CoD2, to aim down the sights you simply push a button. In Operation Overlord, if you want a perfect shot, you have to manually adjust your sights. There's no health meter - if you get shot, a medic helps you in real time (ie broken arm takes 6-8weeks to mend). If you get shot in the arm, you won't be able to hold a rifle as well, etc...

link
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 25 Oct 07, 10:04
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

ace has a spectacular aura about [400]
ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400] ace has a spectacular aura about [400]
sounds cool
"The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
"
Old 27 Oct 07, 22:36
Colonel
Armchair_General
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100] Conlin has demonstrated strength of character [100]
How can you play it?

do you join?

is it a PC game that is going to come out?
Old 30 Oct 07, 12:56
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Patrocles is on the path to success [1-99] Patrocles is on the path to success [1-99] Patrocles is on the path to success [1-99] Patrocles is on the path to success [1-99] Patrocles is on the path to success [1-99] Patrocles is on the path to success [1-99] Patrocles is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blusock View Post
I've only seen one post about this game in the Search, and it only mentioneda mod for Half life 2. I'd like to let everyone know that the developers have moved on to create their own engine, and that it's actually pretty close to completion. from the site:

"1944 D-Day Operation Overlord is the simulation of an event. It does not strive to tell the story of one unit or one squad. Instead it endeavors to tell the story of the battle. The game at its core is driven by a highly adaptable AI system, this AI system controls over 250,000 units in real-time. Moving them all around the battlefield and adapting their orders, objectives and tasks to an every evolving battlefield.

As the player the game is in your control. You have the ability to choose from any unit in the battlefield, so you will always find something interesting to take part in. If you are a war nut, fan of tanks, planes, infantry or squad based combat, or just interested in large scale first person shooters. 1944 D-Day Operation Overlord will always have something distinct and interesting to offer you."

I've browsed the FAQ and QandA forums and from what I've read the amount of detail will be amazing. For instance, in CoD2, to aim down the sights you simply push a button. In Operation Overlord, if you want a perfect shot, you have to manually adjust your sights. There's no health meter - if you get shot, a medic helps you in real time (ie broken arm takes 6-8weeks to mend). If you get shot in the arm, you won't be able to hold a rifle as well, etc...

link

I heard about this game 2-3 years ago. It sounds ambitious and I hope they can pull it off.

errr....the website hasn't changed in the past 2-3 years! Doesn't sound good!
Old 08 Nov 07, 15:05
Private
United_States

blusock is on the path to success [1-99]
@Patrocles - there are new forum posts all the time, and the developers actually answer new questions. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's time yet to label it vaporware. It is, as you said, extremely ambitious, but lots of other games have taken even longer.
Old 12 Nov 07, 12:39
Private
United_States

Chardon is on the path to success [1-99]
I hope that they will be able to pull it off. It looks like a really well developed game.
Old 05 Feb 15, 09:13
Recruit
Norway

Alcarin is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blusock View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's time yet to label it vaporware.
I think it may be time ...

Another 7 years down the road and the developers have yet to release as much as an in-game video to the public. Their forum is down for maintenance at the moment, with the message "Doing a bit of cleanup for 2015. Here's to a happy new year."
The front page hasn't changed one iota since I last checked in on it a year or so back.
So, not exactly a crazy amount of activity

Honestly, I've been rooting for this game for many years. I've been playing the Flashpoint/Arma series since 2001 and in games of this scope, there's just no competition. I believe the mil-sim community as a whole would benefit from having another alternative, but I no longer think that will be coming from Frantic Games.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!