StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 21 Feb 13, 22:31
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas nguyen View Post
A PICTURE SAYS A THOUSAND WORDS - To honor the American soldiers who fought for the freedom of South Vietnam.
Welcome! you have posted to the memorial thread for Ken, he was one of the best and will forever be missed.
Old 21 Feb 13, 23:58
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas nguyen View Post
A PICTURE SAYS A THOUSAND WORDS - To honor the American soldiers who fought for the freedom of South Vietnam.

Ken was truly one of the great ones and a friend of the Vietnamese people. He gave of his body and soul in hopes of gaining nothing in return but that others in a foreign land might come to know the things he cherished for himself.

Ken started this thread to pay tribute to those men who displayed the better part of their national tradition by their acts of care and humanity in the midst of the inhumanity of war. Tribute that applies to so many wonderful men and women, some of whom are still with us here at ACG. We now extend Ken's efforts with this thread to not only honor those men whom he wanted to honor, but also to honor Ken himself.

For those of us who had the pleasure to know him the loss is still felt deeply. We also take great pleasure in seeing someone who didn't know him pay him respect and tribute in his thread. I assure you. Your praise is well placed.

Welcome to ACG

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 22 Feb 13 at 00:06..
Old 06 May 13, 18:42
Colonel
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300]
Sharon Ann Lane, 1st Lt, 312TH Evac Hosp

Quote:
A Candle In The Darkness:
The Ongoing Legacy of Sharon Ann Lane
BY JIM BELSHAW

Sharon Ann Lane had been in Vietnam about seven weeks when a Soviet-made 122mm rocket detonated in the Quonset hut complex that was the 312th Evacuation Hospital in Chu Lai. Rocket and mortar attacks were not infrequent, but this rocket came by itself, a lone missile in the early morning darkness. It was around five o'clock, June 8, 1969.

The next shift of nurses already was up and getting dressed for the day. Sharon Lane worked in Vietnamese Ward 4, a volunteer who chose to tend to patients most others avoided. The patients included ARVN and civilians and children the nurses loved; but the Vietnamese ward also included NVA and VC prisoners. Medical personnel rotated quickly through the ward. Most didn't care to stay long. Lane chose differently. She saw only patients who needed her.
COMPLETE STORY

-- RR
Old 07 May 13, 11:46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioResearcher View Post
Thanks for this. I was out in the field with Charlie 1/46 when this happened. The word filtered through, probably a few days later that a nurse had been killed at the 312 Evac. We dealt with death too often. The news of it elsewhere did not faze us much. But this one was different because it involved an American woman in the Army to promote health and healing, not war.
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13
Old 25 May 13, 10:58
Private
United_States

Phrixos is on the path to success [1-99]
One day, while out on a high-visibility sweep, we stopped, mid-day, in a hamlet. I can't recall which one, but I'm sure it wasn't Ba Chuc, which was in 1969 a very dangerous place to be. You just didn't stand still and you never sat dow down in Ba Chuc. No; a much more friendly hamlet, we were invited to sit at a cafe and to have coffee. At that, four small boys (see the attached picture) showed up, all inquisitive. Plain to see even yet, the tallest one—with a permanently straight right leg; he lost his knee joint in a grenade explosion—had nonetheless an equally permanent broad and endearing smile. And yet, as the others did all the talking, he didn't make a sound. In rather good if broken English, thus, the kid in the hat soon explained that his brother was born deaf "so" he could not speak. In a few minutes I managed to work out that (if not a pan-cultural belief among all Vietnamese, then just among the locals) "everybody knows" that if someone cannot hear, thus, neither can he speak. Well, of course I knew that was wrong; so, between one thing and another, I began searching for a prop and settled on a battery from my pack. Using this and a few linguistic tricks, like holding his hand on my larynx as I spoke, and puffing air strongly as I said the "b" sound, I got him to say "buh." About half hour of that sort of thing later, he said, "bat'ry"! Well, the look of absolutel astoinishment on the faces of his friends, not to mention the one on his own face, made the whole damned year's madness worth while. I'm confident the other boys went home to their families, telling the story and saying, "He can speak!" Thus, I like to think I started something good. Perhaps it grew. I still think about that boy in particular, wondering where, how—and even IF he is. I hope he made it.

Last edited by Miss Saigon; 25 May 13 at 20:39..
Old 01 Mar 14, 20:23
Lance Corporal
United_States

snoopmellow is on the path to success [1-99]
Even the cooks did good deeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
Aside from all the Atrocities and Collateral damage that happens to civilians in any war, I have found, in my lifetime, that the "American Soldier" performs thousands upon thousands of GOOD DEEDS and HUMANITARIAN acts to, and for, civilians caught up in the wars the Americans fight (no wonder our so called "civilian enemies" become our friends).

For this thread, I would like to see posted some of these GOOD DEEDS that you may be aware of (performed by ANY Army's Soldiers) that took place in South Vietnam for the "common folks". There had to be some POSITIVES that came out of the miserable war. I know of a few. To start off with I'll provide the following:

Because I had several postings related to a little known battle that took place in the village of AN MY on
Feb 1st and 2nd of 1968, I feel we could include the following for “Good Deeds” performed by Soldiers a few months after the battle.

Re-building work at “An My”
http://www.pbase.com/character/image/44107525

Handing out candy at “An My”
http://www.pbase.com/character/image/44107523

Nobody can beat a goodhearted cook!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GI COOKab.jpg (226.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 21 Mar 14, 10:32
Sergeant Major
Spain
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99] Casyd is on the path to success [1-99]

Hero

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!