StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 20 Oct 12, 17:09
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
Rongxanh and Richard,

Thanks for the link. What a great site!

Cheers,
Dan.
Ditto that! It led me to Jims Maps- the very first post by Boonie on this thread. Awesome maps!
Old 31 Oct 12, 20:27
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
1st ID/Quarter Cav AO

Can't remember if this has been posted before.

Old 24 Nov 12, 18:26
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Plantation d' Ong Que

Boonie, et al,

Does anyone have some info about Plantation d' Ong Que.

Here's why I ask.

The map image below is from a map our FACs discarded c. 1967, and I salvaged from the trash. For some reason the d' Ong Que plantation airstrip is circled but I have no idea why. Ong Que is outside of our 3d Bde/1st ID TAOR (Base Lai Khe). The map was used by our FACs and includes other sites circled, as though they were there, or intended to go there.

Here's what I have:

The map I mentioned,

An image of the Ong Que airstrip from the 1967 Tactical Aerodrome Directory, and

A web site that shows the location of the plantation.

My question is does anyone know if the 1st ID had any operations going on in this area in 1967?

Map:

Web Site:

http://www.geographic.org/geographic...c=vietnam#MGRS

TAD Plate:

Old 25 Nov 12, 03:54
Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Boonie, et al,

Does anyone have some info about Plantation d' Ong Que.

Here's why I ask.

The map image below is from a map our FACs discarded c. 1967, and I salvaged from the trash. For some reason the d' Ong Que plantation airstrip is circled but I have no idea why. Ong Que is outside of our 3d Bde/1st ID TAOR (Base Lai Khe). The map was used by our FACs and includes other sites circled, as though they were there, or intended to go there.

Here's what I have:

The map I mentioned,

An image of the Ong Que airstrip from the 1967 Tactical Aerodrome Directory, and

A web site that shows the location of the plantation.

My question is does anyone know if the 1st ID had any operations going on in this area in 1967?

Map:

------------------------------------------------------

Sidewinder,

Here's my old map of the AO for comparison:

From Dec '67 - Jan '68, I was located just west/southwest of your circled airstrip, at a place called Binh Son Rubber Plantation (Ap Binh Son), which your map calls Plantation de Long Than.

Due north of your circled location, just north of route 1, is a hill called An Loc on your map and Xuan Loc in mine.

And just SE of the circled location is Blackhorse - home of the 11th Armored Cav Regt c. Mar '67 - Jan '69. So, I'm thinking that your Facs might have been tasked to support the 11th ACR, and the Plantation d' Ong Que airstrip was perhaps an emergency strip.

At any rate, I remember the area between Long Binh-Long Than and Xuan Loc-Blackhorse as being serious Indian territory.

[Hey Aldus and Boonie, y'all have the PAVN/VC OB maps, yes? Who was there back then?]

Jim

Old 25 Nov 12, 05:02
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
As far as I know, the 2nd Brigade, 1st Inf Div operated in the area in 1965-1966 but I'm unaware of any Big Red One operations east of Long Binh in 1967. Ong Que airfield was a private airfield built by the French plantation owners.

As for your question Jim, the main VC unit operating in the AO was the 274th Regiment whose base area was located at the juntion of Bien Hoa, Long Khanh and Phuoc Tuy Provinces (Base Area 301, aka the Hat Dich Secret Zone)
Sponsored Links

Old 25 Nov 12, 07:04
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Very familiar with that area in 66.

Last edited by SRV Ron; 13 Jul 17 at 06:49..
Old 25 Nov 12, 17:00
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jim View Post
------------------------------------------------------

Sidewinder,

Here's my old map of the AO for comparison:

From Dec '67 - Jan '68, I was located just west/southwest of your circled airstrip, at a place called Binh Son Rubber Plantation (Ap Binh Son), which your map calls Plantation de Long Than.

Due north of your circled location, just north of route 1, is a hill called An Loc on your map and Xuan Loc in mine.

And just SE of the circled location is Blackhorse - home of the 11th Armored Cav Regt c. Mar '67 - Jan '69. So, I'm thinking that your Facs might have been tasked to support the 11th ACR, and the Plantation d' Ong Que airstrip was perhaps an emergency strip.

At any rate, I remember the area between Long Binh-Long Than and Xuan Loc-Blackhorse as being serious Indian territory.

[Hey Aldus and Boonie, y'all have the PAVN/VC OB maps, yes? Who was there back then?]

Jim

You're probably right about it being an alternate/emergency strip. Vung Tao is also circled on the map.

The map I got the image from is a 1:250,000 scale map, which our FACs usually put on a wall display along with other adjoining maps. The FACs used 1:50,000 scale maps for actual inflight use. The map in question could have been a wall hanger and, as such, was used for planning purposes.

The 3d Bde may have had the 11th ACR as a partner in some operation at some time in '67 around Lai Khe. Here's a scan of a slide of a 11th ACR FAC O-1 that was taken in '67 at Lai Khe. The 11th had their own dedicated FACs. Their call sign was Nile. They were based out of Xuan Loc and Bien Hoa.

Old 08 Feb 13, 04:00
Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99]
The Cat Lai-Nhon Trach-Nha Be-Saigon area

This is mostly in response to a request from Snake36bravo, but I think we also have a District (?) Advisor who was located in Nhon Trach back in the day.

You can find the original here:
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...psd898f13c.jpg

If it can't be downloaded, pm me with your email and I'll send you a copy.

This montage is -- of course -- 1:50,000.

Jim

Old 28 Jan 14, 02:15
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
Agent Orange Interactive Map

http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-09...14263.htmlpage
Old 21 Feb 14, 14:09
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

YB 973367

Looking for a map on the Vietnam Center and Archive maps that has the coordinates YB 973367.

I've been manually looking at all (well many) of the maps for the 100,000 Square Identification YB and can't find it.

An OV-1 hit the side of a mountain at the above coordinates and I'm trying to find the location for the OV-1 pilot's widow.

The OV-1 took off from Phu Hiep (home of the 225th Aviation surveillance Company) and never returned.

Can anyone help locate YB?
Old 21 Feb 14, 15:43
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Looking for a map on the Vietnam Center and Archive maps that has the coordinates YB 973367.

I've been manually looking at all (well many) of the maps for the 100,000 Square Identification YB and can't find it.

An OV-1 hit the side of a mountain at the above coordinates and I'm trying to find the location for the OV-1 pilot's widow.

The OV-1 took off from Phu Hiep (home of the 225th Aviation surveillance Company) and never returned.

Can anyone help locate YB?
As you were.

Found it. Kelly's Where We Were had the Grid Zone Overlay that showed YB. It's in the Northwest corner of Kontum Province.

Found the map on Vietnam Center and Archive, Sheet 6538-1. It appears as though there's a hill at these coordinates that is 1651 Meters high, called Ngok Loak, which might be the hill/mountain the OV-1 hit.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!