StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Alternate Timelines

Notices and Announcements

Alternate Timelines The plausible "what if's" of military history.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Oct 12, 22:37
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
EiA Tutorial

OoB Set Up

When the game begins Britain and France are at war and each nation will have to deploy its forces into corps, fleets or garrisons of cities and depots as desired. Each Power has a certain number of corps fleets and depots that can be used.

Corps

Army units consist of the following types but not all are available to all nations:

Artillery = A
Guards = G
Infantry = I
Militia = M
Cavalry = C

Different corps from different armies hold different numbers and types of troops. Each army has its own number of corps which are limited. Each factor represents about 2000 men. Infantry corps move 3 or 4 areas per turn (nat'lty dependent) and Cav Corps move 5 areas.

Fleets

Fleets are either "heavy"(H) ships-of-the-line, "light"(L) frigates class vessels or "transports" (T). Each country has a limited number of fleets but all have one (1) Transport Fleet. Heavy fleets may hold Heavy ships, Light ships in light fleets and Transports are limited to transport fleet.

All fleets may carry guards/infantry/militia but only "heavy ships and transports carry cavalry and artillery as well.

*Light fleets can hold 10 ships and can carry 1/2 I factor per ship.
*Heavy fleets can hold 15 - 20 ships (depends on nat'lty) and can carry 1 I factor or 1/2 C factor per ship
*Transport fleets can hold as many transports as you can build build and can carry 2 I or 1 C per ship.

That's the basics for fleets.

Leaders

Each Power has a number of leaders each with its own "rating". The rating numbers are read Strategic/Tactical/Corps Control/Seniority.

Strategic - is used for reinforcing an adjacent battle
Tactical - is used during a battle to be compare against the opponents leader and for skill at executing outflanking manoeuvers.
Corps Control - describes how many coprs a leader can control with out his S & T ratings declining.
Seniority - the most senior leader in an army takes command regardless of ratings.

For example: Napoleon is rated as a 5/5/6/A. Napoleon is excellent at reinforcing or withdrawing from battle, his outflanking ability is superb as is his overall tactical ability and he can command a large force without penalty. He is also the senior French leader

By comparison the Prussian leader Brunswick is a 2/1/3/A,... so,...

We will begin deployment with Russia:

Russian deployment -

After much haggling with its three neighbours the Russians fail to reach an agreement with any one of them but still does not trust France nor England or their intentions. It decides to secure its northern and southern flanks but concentrates it weight near Brest-Litovsk so that it can intervene in either Prussia or Austria should the war spread.

Russia possesses:

Corps
IA Corps: 10A; I Corps: 16I/M; II Corps: 14I/M; III Corps: 12 I/M; IV Corps; 10I/M; VG Corps: 10G, 1C; VI Corps: 10I/M; VII Corps: 10/IM; VIII Corps: 10/IM; IX Corps: 10/IM; X Corps: 10/IM; XI Corps: 10/IM; XII Corps: 10/IM; XIII Corps: 10/IM; XIV Corps: 10/IM; IC Corps: 6C; IIC Corps: 6C; IIIC Corps: 4C; IVC Corps: 4C; VC Corps: 4C;

Fleets
1 Hvy: 20; 2 Hvy: 20; 3 Hvy: 20; I Lt:10; II Lt:10; III Lt:10; IV Lt:10; I Trn: #?

Leaders: Alexander - 1/2/4, Katuzov - 3/4/4, Bagration - 2/4/4, Benningson - 2/2/3

Depots: 7

Russia also possesses 3 Cossack unit (Cos) at the start that are free roaming cav factors.

At start Russia has the following army and ship factors - 5G, 75I, 10C, 28H, 7L and 10T

Russia decides it will guard the Turkish frontier at Stavropol in the east with a 5I factor XIV Corps.
In Sevastopol the Russians deploy the IV Lt Fleet with their 6L points
In Odessa the Tzar deploys a city garrison of 5I factors
In Kamnetz the Tzar deploys the XIII Corps with 5I factors, 1 Cos and Alexander

Up near Grodno on the Prussian border the Russians deploy the IX Corps with 8I, the X Corps with 7I and VC Corps with 2C under under Bennigsen. because it is winter and the forage values is reduced by 2 (the large 3 in the "area") a "depot" is deployed to pay for supply

At Brest-Litovsk Katuzov will command the VG Corps with 3G and 1C, I Corps with 13I, II Corps with 12I and IC Corps with 4C all supplied by another depot to keep costs down

In Riga the VI Corps with 8I along with the I Hvy (16H), II Hvy (12H) Fleets, III Lt Fleet (1L) and the I Trn Fleet (10T) are waiting out the winter. No depot will be deployed even though is some risk of loss to foraging during the winter.

Up in Vyborg, near the Finnish Border the VII Corps is deployed with 8 I plus a depot because the risk of loss to foraging is too high.

Finally, in Corfu the last 4I factors are deployed to secure the Russian holding in the Mediterannean.

That concludes the at start set up for the Russians. Next we will examine the pre-set Diplomatic "Reactions" for Russia.

Diplomatic Pre-Sets

The first decision the Russian team will make will be to which minor countries to support if they are attacked. There are 65 minor states on the map but many are already held by other powers either as "conquered"; money and manpower go to controller, "Free"; the minor keeps its money and monpower (2x) for building its own forces, if available, "Ally"; similar to "Free" but other powers unfriendly can try to pry them away with bribes, or "influenced"; they are neutral but leaning toward the power noted by the flag but can also be bribed by unfriendlies.

Rather than tried to control every minor if attacked the Russians make strategic choices and opt for the following based on access and future strategic need and some gambling:

Sweden, Sw Pommerania, Mecklenberg, Denmark, Norway, Hesse, Hannover, Hamburg, Oldenberg, Holland, Circassia, Georgia, Chechnya, Imertia, Naples, Sicily, Sardinia, Tunisia, Tripolitania.

The next decision Russia must make is whom to attempt to Ally with. It decides for now that Great Britain will do so that it can ensure Russian ships have access to the seas. Allying with Austriua and Prussia may be too risky during the winter when money is scarce and possible campaigning is too expensive.

The next choice Russia makes is whether to grant access to Russian territories for allied forces. It also decides for now to block all access.

Next Russia decides it will continue trade with Britain to make extra money

The next choice is to decide which of the minors is wished to support if attacked by other nations. In this case it may wish to refuse support if Prussia attacks Hesse but grant support if France attacks. This sis a step that will require some thought and will be bypassed for the tutorial. Players will have to make this decision during the game set up.

Finally, Russia must decide that if it decides to attack a minor and if an ally decides to also attack it, will it withdraw that DoW? For example, if Russia and Britain ally and in the Spring both, through miscommunication or oversight or plain sneakiness, decide to attack Sweden, will Russia back down? Or go to war ?

This decision can be made during each turn political phase to better judge the situation based on players current plans but it is included here so all will be aware the situation can arise.

That covers the diplomacy. Next we look at pre-planned surrender/victory terms.

Peace Terms

Each nation must decide when it goes to war with each major power whether it will accept "Conditional Peace" terms or only "Unconditional" Peace. The setting may be different for each major power.

If Russia is offered conditional peace it can "block" one of the following terms:

- Remove forces (army or navy)
- Pay reparations
- Special truces (extended peace)
- Trade Embargoes
- Cede territory.

Likewise a country Russia grants "Con Peace" can block one of these terms.

Now, what about "gaining from anothers acceptance of Con Peace. The victor can choose one of the following, provided it is not contradicting the blocked term:

- remove 3 corps (factors are lost)
- 24 months enforced peace (Russia could not attacked)
- 1/2 monthly income reparations for one month
- royal marriage (makes it more expensive in political points to attack victor at a later date)
- Remove 1 fleet (ships lost)
- No trade

Using Prussia as an example, Russia decides to grant a Con Peace but lets the Prussians know in advance that they will refuse conditional peace if the block "cede land". Prussia, wanting peace badly because of a French threat agree and choose to block "remove forces". Russia, chooses "cede 1 Province" and takes Masovia from Poland and peace is ensured.

If "Unc Peace" is the goal it goes much tougher on the Poles, who will likely be pretty miffed and probably seek revenge later. Knowing this Russia can choose three "policies" and Prussia can block none.

Russia chooses:

- Cede 3 provinces (hurts Prussia in the wallet and recruiting)
- Enforced 36 month peace (makes sure Prussia is pinned for 3 years)
- Remove three corps (guts the remaining Prussian army)

There are other choices but only three can be chosen. Also, in the case where Prussia may sue for peace more than one country itis at war with, each country that is a victor takes turns chosing terms until each has chosen three such terms (none can be applied twice) or all choices are gone. Its a bit detailed and can be dealt with as and if it comes up but players should be aware of this fact.

** Note well. Beating an apponent into the ground can gain a lot of VPs but you may need this same power later if you are heavily attacked so be careful. You may reap what you sow.

Okay!! That concludes the basics of what each power must do at the set up. Thankfully it is only this heavily involved at the start and the diplomatic details can be tweaked as the game goes along.

Below is posted a pic of the main Russian set up (Katuzov and Beningsen's area) along info in some of the panels to show some details.

Note the Katuzov stack shows the depot, each corps and the leader in the lower panel.

The panel to the left of Katuzov's army shows Alexander's stats. You can see the Str/Tac/Corps values as well as the "A" ranking. A = top rank while there are B, C and D ranks. If two leaders of different ranks are in the same battle the senior commander takes command,...

...so be careful

That about wraps up the game set up for Russia. Each Power has a similar choice to make and the next post will detail each armies at start forces and territories controlled.

I hope to deploy the remain powers in the next day and then run through a three month season worth of moves, concentrating on France and Austria, as well as a battle or two. Then another post to explain the "Economic Phase. After that,... we're off,... after a two million questions, I'm sure.

In any case the first few turns will go slow so everyone gets the hang of things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rus Tut.jpg (162.0 KB, 472 views)

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Last edited by The Purist; 19 Oct 12 at 18:26..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 18 Oct 12, 23:50
England
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

National OoBs and Territories

Land Units

The Corps are read in the following manner:

ie: Spanish IG Corps - 2G, 10 I/M, 2 C

This means this corps can hold a maximum of 2 Guards factors, 10 Infantry or Miltia factors (or a combination) and 2 Cavalry Factors.

Russia - Sets up First

Russia is a strong power on the edge of Europe and geographically pretty safe. It can be threatened from the west and south but can play the political game against the other dominant power from relative safety,... if not isolated diplomatically.

Sweden, Finland, Swedish Pommerania and Denmark are obvious targets but the British may be concerned.

Corfu is Conquered
Georgia is Influenced

Corps - 5 morale G, 3 morale I, 2 morale M, 4 morale C
IA Corps: 10A; I Corps: 16 I/M; II Corps: 14 I/M; III Corps: 12 I/M; IV Corps; 10 I/M; VG Corps: 10G, 1C; VI Corps: 10 I/M; VII Corps: 10 I/M; VIII Corps: 10 I/M; IX Corps: 10 I/M; X Corps: 10 I/M; XI Corps: 10 I/M; XII Corps: 10 I/M; XIII Corps: 10 I/M; XIV Corps: 10 I/M; IC Corps: 6C; IIC Corps: 6C; IIIC Corps: 4C; IVC Corps: 4C; VC Corps: 4C;

Fleets
I Hvy: 20; II Hvy: 20; III Hvy: 20; I Lt:10; II Lt:10; III Lt:10; IV Lt:10; I Trn: #?

Leaders: Alexander - 1/2/4/A, Katuzov - 3/4/4/B, Bagration - 2/4/4/B, Benningson - 2/2/3/B

Russia also possesses 3 Cossack unit (Cos) at the start that are free roaming cav factors.

Russia - 5G, 75I, 10C, 28H, 7L and 10T
Money - $32

Turkey - sets up second

Turkey is different from the other powers. It has no militia but can raise Feudal corps each year that fight to obliteration or are removed and sent home for free refills. The problem is they do not replenish except at the end of the year so the army can slowly melt away with only a few regular forces as replacements. Feudal troops are cheap (free), numerous, have lower morale than regulars but over all the Turks have a massive cavalry arm. If they break an opponent in battle a pursuit can wipe out entire armies. Defensively the Turks only look weak.

The ability of the Turks to mobilse their feudal troops on a whim make sudden attacks their forte. Turkey should try to make a deal concerning the establishment of the Ottoman Empire. Spain may resist but some wheeling and dealing over the western provinces in Africa may get you want you need.

Syria is a Turk "Free State"
Imertia is a Turk "Free State"
Palestine is "Conquered"
Rhodes is "Conquered"

Regular Army Corps - 3 morale I, 3 morale C
Niz Ced 12I/2C; I Jan: 14I/3C; II Jan: 14I/3C; Imp Cav Corps: 4C

Feudal Corps - 2 Morale I, 2 Morale C
Albania: 9I; Anatolia: 9I; Bosnia: 9I; Bulgaria: 9I; Greece: 9I, Macedonia: 9I, Serbia: 9I; Smyrna Cav: 8C; Thrace Cav: 8C; Rumelia Cav: 8C

Free Syrian Corps - 2 Morale I, 2 Morale C: 10I/12C

Fleets
I Hvy: 20; II Hvy: 20; I Lt:10; II Lt:10; III Lt:10; IV Lt:10; I Trn: #?

Leaders: Grand Vizier - 1/2/4/A, Pechilivan Khan - 3/4/3/B, Kushanz Ali - 2/3/3/B

Turkey - 35I, 7C, 12H, 15L and 10T
Imertia - 2I (no corps)
Syria - 5I, 5C
Money - $25

Austria - sets up third

Austria is in a tough place. Everything it possesses or influences and everything it wants is either in Italy or Germany and the French and Prussians are wanting the same things. Austria is weaker than France, stronger than Russia and has a vulnerable back door to the Turks. Austria needs a powerful friend or group of smaller friends to bear the burden of challenging the big players on the continent. It does have a very good leader in Arch Duke Charles, who can almost rival Napoloen and the Lt Inf Corps; a small infantry corps that moves like cavalry. They can dash forward and grab a city in the blink of an eye where using cavalry would be too expensive.

Austria can make some deals but in one case at least, it must be ready to fight. Its two free states unfortunately can only raise garrisons and no corps to help the cause. Is there hope in Venice and Bavaria?

Allied to Munster
Allied to Liege
Luxembourg is a Free State
Breisgau is a Free State
Bavaria is "Influenced"
Modena is "Influenced"
Venitia is "Conquered"

Corps - 5 Morale G, 3 morale I, 2 Morale M, 4 morale C
I Corps: 15 I/M, 1C; II Corps: 15 I/M, 1C; III Corps: 15 I/M, 1C; IV Corps: 15 I/M, 1C; V Corps: 15 I/M, 1C; VI Corps: 15 I/M, 1C; VII Corps: 15 I/M, 1C; VIII Corps: 15 I/M, 1C; IX Corps: 15 I/M, 1C; IG Corps: 5G, 5I, 2C, IIG Corps: 5G, 5I, 2C; Lt Inf: 4I, 2C; 1C Corps: 4C; IIC Corps: 4C

Special corps:
I Ins: 15M, 3C; II Ins: 15M, 3C - These two corps can be raised when foreign armies enter Austrian home provinces. These corps are preset in any areas within Austria and will automatically deploy and block movement when enemy corps enter their space and triggers a battle.

Fleets
I Lt:10; II Lt:10; III Lt: 10; I Trn: #?

Leaders: Mack - 1/3/4/A, Charles - 4/4/6/B, John - 1/1/2/B

Austria - 7G, 75I, 15C, 2L
Luxembourg - 1I
Breisgau - 1I
Money - $33

Prussia - sets up fourth

Prussia has a problem. It is smack dab in the middle between Russia and France. If they cosy up too easily to France a large Russian (and Austrian?) army may come crashing in from the east. If they throw their lot in with Russia the France may be upon them before any Russian help of worth can arrive. The Prussian army is quite large but its leadership is poor in 1805 and that is a critical weakness.

Thankfully, Prussia has some help in that it has some friendly German states and others in reach. It may be wise to discuss a division of territory with France in order to avoid an unwanted clash that leads to an even more unwanted war.

Prussia's big advantage is that it is the only major power that can "save" unused manpower each economic cycle instead of losing unused points. This is to represent the Landwehr reserve system.

Lausitz is Allied
Saxony is a Free State
Gottingen is Influenced
Ansbach is Conquered

Corps - 5 morale G, 3 morale I, 2 morale M, 4 morale C
IG Corps: 3G, 5I, 4C; I Corps: 16 I/M, 4C; II Corps: 14 I/M, 4C; III Corps: 14 I/M, 4C; IV Corps; 14 I/M, 3C; V Corps: 14 I/M, 3C; VI Corps: 14 I/M, 3C; VII Corps: 14 I/M, 3C; VIII Corps: 14 I/M, 3C

Fleets
Lt:10; I Trn: #?

Leaders: Brunswick - 2/1/3/A, Hohenloe - 1/2/4/B,

Prussia - 3G, 80I, 17C,
Saxony - 8I, 2C
Money - $26

Spain - sets up fifth

Spain is an interesting country. It is barely a major power with a comparitively weak economy, small army but fairly large fleet (behind Britain and France). It is tucked away in the southwest corner of Europe out of the way, which is both a plus and a minus. The plus is that no one really wants to fight *in* Spain,... foraging is terrible and their are guerillas harassing an invader the minute you cross the border. The minus comes in that everything you desire is either coveted by a strong major (Portugal) or across the Mediterranean in Africa or Italy. France should not be a problem unless Spain goes out of its way to make it one but France can be a valuable ally and source of money and some good quality troops to strengthen the Spanish army.

Britain can be a friend but since Spanish and British interests will eventually collide careful consideration must be made concerning who benefits more from any arrangement.

In the end, making deals with both France and Britain is a possibility provided strict neutrality is observed. This may provide some elbow room for expansion.

Corps - 5 morale G, 3 morale I, 2 morale M, 3 morale C
IG Corps: 2G, 10I/M, 2C; I Corps: 12 I/M, 2C; II Corps: 12 I/M, 2C; III Corps: 12 I/M, 2C; IV Corps; 12 I/M, 2C; V Corps: 12 I/M, 2C; VI Corps: 10 I/M, 2C; VII Corps: 12 I/M, 2C; VIII Corps: 10 I/M, 2C; IC Corps: 4C

Militia Corps -
I Castille: 12M; II Aragon: 12M; III Andalusian: 12M

Fleets
I Hvy: 20; II Hvy: 20; III Hvy: 20; IV Hvy: 20; I Lt:10; II Lt:10; III Lt:10; IV Lt:10; V Lt: 10; I Trn: #?

Leaders: Blake - 2/2/4/B, Costanos - 3/3/3/C,

Spain - 1G, 41I, 6C, 35H, 22L, 10T
Money - $25

France - sets up sixth

What is there to say about France. Plenty of good leadership including Napoleon, Masenna and Davout, superior infantry morale (4), only the British have higher, large infantry corps that move faster and forage better than anyone else. Its fleet is only surpassed by the British but if it breaks free the French possess a large transport fleet that can drop an army in England and change the fate of Europe. If it were not for the British the French would be sitting on the strongest hand but even so, on the continent the French can do almost anything. Almost.

The big mistake France can make is to anger everyone and offer no deals to the other powers. If France only makes enemies it will have a tough challenge and may not be able to withstand the combined power of the other continental powerts. France needs at least one ally, perhaps two. The question is who?

France must offer a deal that is very hard to refuse and stick to it. With France as an ally its supporters can ride her coat tails to high levels of VPs until time for the obvious break. Free minor states is another answer, especially since the number of French corps is not very large compared to its rivals on the continent. Some have very good troops (not quite French though) but it does take time and some loaned money to build them up. France has options, provided arrogance does not get in the way of common sense.

Piedmont is Conquered
Lombardy is Conquered
Switzerland is Conquered
Palintinate is Conquered
Julich is Conquered
Flanders is Conquered
Holland is a Free State.

Corps - 5 morale G, 4 morale I, 2 morale M, 4 morale C
IA Corps: 12A; Gds Corps: 20G, 3C; I Corps: 25I/M, 3C; II Corps: 20 I/M, 3C; III Corps: 20 I/M, 3C; IV Corps; 20 I/M, 3C; V Corps: 20 I/M, 3C; VI Corps: 20 I/M, 3C; VII Corps: 15 I/M, 2C; VIII Corps: 15 I/M, 2C; IX Corps: 15 I/M, 2C; X Corps: 15 I/M, 2C; XI Corps: 15 I/M, 2C; XII Corps: 15 I/M, 2C; IC Corps: 7C; IIC Corps: 7C; IIIC Corps: 5C; IVC Corps: 5C;

Fleets
I Hvy: 20; II Hvy: 20; III Hvy: 20; IV Hvy: 20; V Hvy 20:, I Lt:10; II Lt:10; III Lt:10; IV Lt:10; V Lt: 10; VI Lt: 10; I Trn: #?

Leaders
Napoleon - 5/5/6/A,Bernadotte - 2/2/2/B, Davout - 4/5/2/B, Murat - 2/3/3/B, Masenna - 4/4/3/C, Ney - 2/4/1/C, Soult - 3/3/3/C

Depots: 8

France - 5G, 135I, 17C, 39H, 22L, 20T
Holland - 10I, 2C, 13H, 5L
Money - $32

Great Britain sets up seventh

Great Britain. What is there to say? The Royal Navy rules the waves. The British have a fleet that is stronger than the combined Spanish, French and Dutch fleets, it gains a +1 combat bonus in all actions and "wind gauge" determinations and Nelson adds another +1. The British army's infantry has a morale of 4.5, the cavalry 4 and like all other the guards have 5. This makes breaking a British line very difficult. If the British had a large army they would be the true European powerhouse.

Britain's dominance at sea means it can determine who trades via sea or with America,... even at the risk of war with the US. Now, that is not as ominous as it sounds because the British gain from allowing trade just like everyone else does. However, a country at war with Britain will lose its trade and even the US trade at Britain's whim.

Like France, Britain cannot alienate everyone. The RN may be big and professional but it can be sunk. Britain can also bank roll its allies and help them deploy the best armies possible by adding to their budgets and helping offset lost territorial income. Britain has plenty of flexibility and because of the RN can pick its friends if they are at all willing

Malta is Conquered
Gibraltar is Conquered

Corps - 5 morale G, 4.5 morale I, 2 morale M, 4 morale C
IG Corps: 2G, 12I/M; II Corps: 14 I/M; III Corps: 14 I/M; IV Corps; 10 I/M; V Corps: 10 I/M; VI Corps: 10 I/M; IC Corps: 8C

Fleets
I Hvy: 20; II Hvy: 20; III Hvy: 20; IV Hvy: 20; V Hvy 20:, VI Hvy: 20; VII Hvy: 20; VIII Hvy: 20; IX Hvy: 20: I Lt:10; II Lt:10; III Lt:10; IV Lt:10; V Lt: 10; VI Lt: 10; VII Lt:10; VIII Lt:10; IX Lt:10; X Lt:10; XI Lt: 10; XII Lt: 10; I Trn: #?

Leaders
Nelson - 5/5/-/A

Depots: 8

Britain - 1G, 19I, 4C, 76H, 57L, 5T
Money - $45

Next post will cover the Game Turn sequence

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Last edited by The Purist; 29 Jun 14 at 12:22..
Old 19 Oct 12, 16:17
England

Jan 1805 - Political Phase

Diplomacy Phase

This example will mainly focus on French and Austrian diplomacy with only brief mention of the other Powers

Teams need to determine the following policies:

1a - which minor countries will it agree to control if they are attacked? There are political points to gain and lose. The default is to attempt "all" since. If a minor withstands or repels an attack the controlled state becomes a free state of the controller until it falls. The idea is to gain more political points than one loses before the country falls. By accepting control of a minor you prevent a free invasion (no pol pt lose) by another power and the immediate surrender of the minor (won't resist if they feel abandoned).

1b - which minor country are you so intent on obtaining that if another Power attacks it you will declare war? You must note the minor to defend and against whom (some of the Powers? all?)

2 - will you trade with Britain? extra money involved. One cannot trade with Britain if at war with Britain. If Britain will you trade with other countries wishing to do so?

3 - If at war with a major Power will you offer "Conditional" Peace? What are your terms (one chosen from list)? If offered Con Peace, which term will you block (one chosen from list)?

4 - Do you wish to sue for peace against a Power you are at war with?

5 - with whom will you seek alliances. If you ally with a major power or a minor power it cost more political points to attack as there is a cost to breaking such alliances. If two powers wish to ally then they both must offer alliances in their orders.

6 - Which two minor states will you try to influence/ally with (if any) or which two minor states influenced or allied to a non-allied Power will you try to undermine?

7 - which allied Power will you grant access to your territory to? If an allied power's forces are in your country, they cannot declare war on you (stab in the back).

Each team will have to swap messages via email and PM to reach agreement before submitting their "actions" for implementation. The French decisions and actions are dealt with first.

Jan 1805 - Political Phase

France
In the case of this tutorial the French have reached the following agreements:

Britain - the growl and snap at each other.
Spain - France offered an alliance to Spain but it was refused for the
moment.
Austria - notes of caution are exchanged about spheres of influence but no alliance nor declaration of war is to be made. France secretly orders 'interference' with Bavaria to undo Austrian influence.
Prussia - not wanting to push Prussia into the opposing camps France agrees to stay out of the affairs of Saxony, Thuringia, Ansbach and Gottingen.
Russia - no real discussion but France notes it has no quarrel with Russian activities in the Baltic
Turkey - France offers Turkey an alliance but it is refused for now as Turkey wants a free hand to develop neutral policies.

Actual French Diplomatic orders are:

-French DoW - Berg, Nassau, Baden and Oldenburg.
-French influence - Bavaria and Hesse
-France will accept control of any minor state attacked but will not declare war over the attack against any country at this time.
-Peace Terms demanded of Britain - Remove 2 fleets; 1/2 trade money (4 seasons); Enforced Peace 36 months.

Russian Diplomacy - Orders include:

-Russia will accept control of the 'list' of minor states presented (those within "reach" via a land or naval move and most of Germany)
-Russia will not go to war over the attack of any one country.
-Offer of Alliance to England
-Will trade with Britain

Turkish Diplomacy - Orders include:

-Decline French offer of alliance
-DoW on Egypt
-DoW on Cyrenaica
-will trade with Britain
-will accept control of any minor state
-will influence Georgia

Austrian Diplomacy - Orders include

-attempt to change influence to ally with Bavaria
-attempt to change influence to ally with Modena
-will trade with Britain
-requested alliance with Britain
-DoW on Dalmatia, Swabia and Wurtemberg

Prussian Diplomacy - Orders include

-attempt to change influence to ally with Gottingen
-attempt to influence Hesse
-DoW on Thuringia
-DoW on Mecklenburg
-will trade with Britain

Great Britain Diplomacy - Orders include

-will trade with Spain, Prussia, Austria, Turkey and Russia
-will allow US trade with France
-will only accept unconditional surrender from France with following terms:
i) remove Napoleon
ii) cede 3 provinces - Flanders, Holland, Hanover
iii) remove 2 fleets - I and II Hvy
-offered alliance to Russia
-will influence Denmark
-will influence Sweden

Spanish Diplomacy -

-will trade with Britain
-DoW on Naples
-will attempt to influence Morocco

Results of Diplomacy Phase

- Britain and Russia are now allied
- France controls Naples vs Spain
- Britain controls Egypt and Cyrenaica vs Turkey
- Bavaria is now neutral (Austria scowls)
- France controls Thuringia vs Prussia
-France controls Mecklenburg vs Prussia
-Britain controls Oldenburg, Berg, Nassau and Baden vs France
-Britain Controls Dalmatia vs Austrai
-France controls Wurtemburg and Swabia against Austria
-Austria is now allied to Modena
-Austria now has Influence in Tuscany

Questions?

Last edited by The Purist; 29 Oct 12 at 01:42..
Old 20 Oct 12, 12:05
England

Jan 1805 - reinforcement Phase

The Reinforcement Phase

Each month there is the potential for some troops or ships to be completed, for minor ste forces to be deployed due to declarations of war or for leaders to be assigned to armies/corps or removed from the same. City and depot garrisons can also be established, reinforced or absorbed into corps during this phase.

To receive reinforcements corps must be in a home city or on/adjacent to a depot in a chain of supply no longer than 6 depots long. Reinforcements may also be send overseas provided there is a depot at both the home country port and the port through which the corps is supplied. A fleet (even one ship) needs to be in one the two ports as well. The supply length for militia reinforcements cannot exceed 3 depots in length. Reinforcement factors for depots and city garrisons also works in a similar manner except only infantry and militia may form these garrisons.

A fleet may only receive reinforcements only if it is in a port that has ships completed there and waiting (in storage).

Leaders can be added to corps and armies if these units are in supply and unbeseiged. Likewise a leader may be removed and sent to the "pool" in the same way but they cannot be placed again until the following month. A leader in a besieged city may not be removed. If the city falls while he is there he will be captured.

Reinforcements for free states are handled in the same way. Also, minor state forces are deployed upon a declaration of war against them by the controlling player in any manner he sees fit and within the confines of the rules.

While infantry and militia can form independent garrisons, guards, feudal infantry and cavalry may not. If a corps is not available to receive these units they are lost. Feudal infantry is handled by a special method that will be described later.

Jan 1805 - Reinforcement Phase

Britain - normally January is a month when militia forces arrive from production but as there was no economic phase in the game yet the only reinforcements available to Britain are those of the minor states it now controls due to declarations of war. In this example Britain will train to optimise its Political point game by avoiding battles with corps if possible and hopefully force the Turks and French into more time consuming siege battles. Where avoiding a coprs battle is not possible (Baden) the troops will fight in the field.

Referring to the Strategic Map the British deploy the following:

Karlsruhe, Baden - 1I in garrison. 7I and 1C in the Baden Corps
Nassau (Frankfurt) - 1I in garrison
Dusseldorf, Berg - 1I in garrison
Bremen, Oldendorf - 1I in garrison
Bengazi, Cyrenaica - 5I in garrison. Area 667 Cyrenaica Corps, 5C
Cairo, Egypt - 10I in garrison. Alexandria - 4I in garrison. Damietta - 2I in garrison. Area 655 - 4C in I Egypt Corps
Zra, Dalmatia - 2I in garrison

British has no army 'leader of note' at this time (Wellington is first to arrive in 1806).

That concludes Britains reinforcements

Spain - Spain deploys no leaders at this as it is waiting to see what the defence of Naples will be before determining whether to make a direct assault on Naples or land further down the coast.

Prussia - Prussia has no reinforcements nor is nor is it facing any field battles. In order to avoid risking a leader being killed or wounded in a siege battle Prussia declines to deploy any leaders this turn.

Austria - Austria is about to attack Dalmatia, Swabia (Ulm) and Wurtemburg. Of these three only Wurtemburg can deploy a corps Charles will be despatched to command the army that will attack there. The other battles are siege battles so no leaders will attend.

Turkey - casting an annoyed look at the British the Turks decline to deploy any leaders. Their hoped for political point gains from engaging the Cyrenaicans and Egyptian armies in the field has vanished as the prospect of diege warfare looms.

Russia - Russia has little to do but keep warm and wait out the winter. Since it does not need any leaders on the map at this time they are all removed to allow for more flexibility when the action heats up.

France - France has a number of actions to do as it both controls newly attacked minors and is attacking a few itself.

Davout (4/5/2/B) is assigned to the III Corps at Mainz and it is planned for the VIII Corps in Strassbourg to join him for the attack on Baden.

For defending its new small friends France deploys the minor forces thus:
Mecklenburg (Lubeck) - 2I in garrison
Wurtemburg - 1I in garrison. Wurtemburg Corps - 2I
Thuringia (Weimar) - 1I in garrison
Naples - 1I in Garrison. Naples Corps - 7I, 2C. Naples Hvy - 1H. Naples Lt - 8L

This concludes the Reinforcement Phase

Last edited by The Purist; 22 Oct 12 at 14:24..
Old 20 Oct 12, 13:12
England

Jan 1805 - The Naval Phase

The Naval Phase

The Naval Phase is perhaps the most straight forward. Each Hvy and Lt has 7 movement points and moves to engage or blockade enemy fleets. Transport fleets have three movement and operate in the same way.

Fleets may also carry troops in te following manner

Lt ships 1/2I
Hvy ships - 1I or 1/2 C
Trn ships - 2I or 1C

If one does the math it can be seen that transports are the best means of carrying the larger corps and a full Lt Fleet could only carry a corps of 5I.

Naval Transport - in order for ships to carry troops they must begin the naval phase in the same port as the corps they will be transporting.

Fleets must be given 3 layers of standing orders as follows:

Intercept Weaker Forces
Intercept Invasion Forces
Intercept All

Intercept same sea area only
Intercept all eligable areas

Do not Evade
Evade stronger forces
Evade all forces

Some of the nuances are important. If for example the Spanish set up two fleets(20H, 10L) in the Straights of Gibraltar (area 742) to block all shipping but assign their fleets to *Intercept all eligable areas* a British fleet moving into Area 740 may draw them away and unstop bottleneck.

However, once orders are set they only need to be reviewed as the situation develops.

Blockade If ships in port are blockaded they can try to run the blockade but the enemy fleets have a definite advanatge (obvious) in that the get the "Wind Gauge" and its +1 to combat.

Ships can also enter enemy ports to attack the blockaded ships but if the port has an army garrison the ports guns also join the fight with each gun + 1 ship. So, if the British attack Cadiz because they believe the weak 2 Lt ships their are easy prey they would be surpised when the 100 guns of the port tear into them.

Lesson here is always make sure naval bases are well garrisoned.

If a fleet is blockaded and the port falls from a land attack the ships are scuttled. An expensive loss.

Naval Combat - naval combat is similar to land combat except there are no chits and it lasts one round. Losses are by percentage of forces committed.

Step 1 - Determine wing gauge.

- A d6 is used with +1 if a British fleet is involved and another +1 if Nelson is present.

Step 2 - Battle

- again a d6 is used with the following modifiers:
+1 for British fleet on side
+1 for 50% more heavy ships than opponent
-1 if one side is all Lt ships
-1 if Austrian/Prussian fleet on side

Losses will run from 5% to 25% of force doing the shooting. The side with the wind gauge shoots first, losses from the other side are applied and then they shoot back.

Wind gauge is important.

Jan 1805 - Naval Phase

Britain - Britain is the dominant naval power in Europe at this time so it gets to chose in what order it will move each turn. In the case of Jan 1805 it chooses to move first to avoid the French getting up to any mischief. In this case the French have dispersed their fleet in distance but kept most of concentrated in time.

24H and 10L are in Brest. 9H and 5L are forming harassement group in Toulon and while 6H, 7L and 20T are at Le Havre along with a large French army no doubt meant to invade England. Nelson was hoping that the French would be at see where he could mop them up but he now needs to plan to bottle them up in port, create a Channel reserve in case they break out, create a second reserve to watch the Spanish, blockade the Dutch (13H, 5L) and even keep an eye on the Turks. A tall order.

These is a sample solution.

I Hvy - 20H, I Lt - 10L, II Lt - 10L move to Brest and blockade
II Hvy - 6H, III Lt - 10L move to Le Havre and blockade
III Hvy - 12H, IV Lt - 8L move to Amsterdam and blockade
VII Hvy - 8H, X Lt - 10L w/ Nelson moves into the Channel
VIII Hvy - 10H, XI Lt - 8L moves to Toulon and blockade
IX Hvy - 20H remains in Gibraltar
I Trn - 5T remains in London with the British army.

Russia - With Russian Baltic ports frozen and only a small Lt Fleet in the Black Sea the Russia navy does nothing.

Turkey - The Turks also deploy a small force in the Black Sea to match the Russian but the bulk of the fleet is in Crete with an invasion army headed for north Africa.

I Hvy - 10H embarks the Greek FC (Feudal Corps) of 9I and sails to Area 767 (off Alexandria/Damietta)
II Hvy - 2H, I Lt - 10L, I Trn - 10T move to Area 758 (off Benghazi)
III Lt - 5L remains in Sinope watching the Russians
IV Lt - 1L remains in Crete with a depot establishing a sea supply line for the invasions.

Austria - with only two frigates in its fleet the Austrians stay in port

Prussia - Prussia has no ships at this time but they do have dreams for the future.

France - The Emperor is tempted to give the order for the fleet at Brest to break out and enter the Channel to link up with a similar attempt by the Le Havre invasion forces but holds off for now as he views the Austrian actions with some concern.

Spain - Having declared war on Naples the Spanish fleet in Barcelona sets sail but seeing the Naplese fleet in port decides to avoid unnecessary losses and makes for the Gulf of Taranto (area 754).

I Hvy - 15H, II Hvy - 10H, I Lt - 10L, II Lt - 10L, embarks the IG Corps and VIII Corps and move to Area 754 to avoid combat with Naples
I Trn - 10T moves to Are 742 to stay clear of any combat.
III Hvy - 10H moves to Area 742 to cover the I Trn Fleet.
III Lt - 2L remains in Cadiz with a depot to create a supply line for the invasion force.

That concludes the Naval Phase

Last edited by The Purist; 09 May 13 at 11:07..
Old 20 Oct 12, 14:35
England

Jan 1805 - The Land Phase

The Land and Land Combat Phase

All infantry corps have a movement of 3 or 4 (French and some German and Italy minors controlled by France) area while cavalry and the Austria Light Infantry Corps have 5 movement. Corps may force march for one additional movement point but this will add +1 to any forage dr.

Each area also has a large number between 0 and 6 noting the forage value for that area. If a corps wants to forage instead of pay $ for supply it must roll the FV (forage value) or less for that area. Any unused MP may be used to reduce the dr and the dr is increased by for each additional corps in the area. If a corps rolls over the modified value it loses 1 factor for each number it exceeds the areas value (beware Guards, Artillery and Cavalry).

As noted in the set up post various corps have different strengths and different combinations of factors. Corps move from area to area until they run out of movement point. Corps that do not wish to forage must pay for their supply. All supply must come from on map depots and all powers have a limited number of depots (6 - 8). To form a valid supply line the depot must be placed in a controlled (not just occupied) friendly city either in the home country or elsewhere. For a valid supply chain to exist a depot must be placed every two areas and corps can draw supply from a depot that is part of a valid chain for up to three areas away.

The supply cost for corps is:
- same hex as depot $.5
- one area distance $1
- two areas distance $2
- three areas dstance $3

All costs are doubled in winter months (Dec-Feb inclusive). As

As can be seen, it costs money to campaign or one has to rely on forage, which can get expensive when armies concentrate.

The Land and Land Combat Phase

France

France is the dominant land power at this point in time and like the British at sea it can choose when in the turn it wishes to move. In this case the French choose to move first to get the jump on other owers who may move to interfere with plans.

As can be seen by the attached picture the French have deployed a number of depots to cover the cost of the winter moves.

The Army of England (I, II and Gds Corps) in Le Havre will not move and the three corps check their forage values. The calculation works thus:

Forage value of 5 + 4 MP unused + 1 for home country = 10. There are three corps in the hex adding in a -2 and -2 for winter for a final value of 6. since it is not possible to roll over 6 in this case each corps can forage without risk and do so.

- Up in Hannover a Depot is placed ($1) in Staade and the V Corps moves 2 areas from Hanover to Bremen passing through areas with FVs of 3 (reduced to 1 in winter). V Corps has 2 MP left plus the FV of Bremen is a 1 for a value of 3. Deciding not to risk it the corps commander will pay the $2 for supply from Staade.
- VI Corps in Hanover does not move and forages w/o risk
-In Amsterdam the Dutch Corps will also not move and forage w/o risk (5+3+1-2=7)
-VII Corps in Julich (Cologne) will move to Dusseldorf and lay siege. A siege costs all movement, it is winter and thus the FV of the area drops to 3. VII Corps will pay $2 for supply.
- Davout and III Corps have no choice but to attack Baden over the river. As the crossing opposed it costs 2 MP to cross the river leaving III Corps 2 MP. As this isa field battle unused points can be used for foraging. III Corps has a final FV of 2 (MP) +3 (FV for area in winter) -1 for the Baden corps =4. Davout decides to try the forage and rolls a 4, no loss.
-VIII Corps at Srassbourg moves to Baden as well but will pay for supply (1 MP +3 FV -2 add'l corps = FV2)
- IV Corps in Zurich will risk a forage w/o movement even though the area FV 0 (winter) still yielding a 5 or less. Sadly the dr is a 6 and the corps loses 1I factor.
- XI and XII Corps in Milan will both forage w/o risk in the fertile 6FV area even in winter.
- Naples Corps in Iatly will not move from the city in order to take advanatge of full MP and home nation bonus. The forage w/o risk.

Unfortunately this leave no available troops to march on Frankfurt, resulting in a "Lapse of War". If Nassau was controlled by a neutral Power it would now be that nations Free State and if France wanted to attack it again, she would have to declare war on that power. Thankfully, Nassau is controlled by the British who are at war with France so there is no such risk and the city can be taken at a later date without further penalty.

That concludes the French Land Move. Now comes the Land Combat Phase

Land Combat Phase

This phase goes fairly quickly but will be necessary for teams to include one or two possible tactical chit picks for use in the field battles. No chits are required for "minor battles (single corps versus depot/city garrisons or cossak/freikorps points).

Siege of Bremen - failed to breach

Siege of Dusseldorf - breach; no losses, city occupied by 1I from VII Corps

Battle of Baden - Fr III Corps (10I, 1C), Fr VIII Corps (12I, 2C) vs Baden Corps (6I, 1C)

This attack is across a river which, according to the charts posted elsewher give an advantage to the defence for the first day. Because of the river Davout calculates that the defender will "Cordon" for the best defence. Hoping he has figured the defenders choice correctly Davout chooses "Assault".

The poor Badenese general is badly outmatched by Davout resulting tactical modifiers of +1/0 attacker/defender. The French also outnumber Baden in cavalry by 2:1 or more adding another +1. However, in most battles a maximum of +1 is all that is allowed.

Unfortunately for Davout the German general chooses "Defend" meaning the French are charging headlong into the German line.

Round 1 result:
- the French roll a 6(+1) on table 3-1 resulting in 3I losses and -1.5 morale to the Baden Corps.
- Baden roll a 3 on the 4-1 table resulting in 1I loss to the French VIII Corps and the loss of .7 morale.

The Germans may be wiped out before they break.

Round 2 result:
- the French roll a 4 (+1) on the 3-1 table resulting 2I loss to Baden and a further .80 morale loss
- Baden roll a 6 on the 4-2 table resulting in 1I loss from VIII Corps and dangerous drop in French morale by 2.3.

Round 3 result:
- the French roll a 3(+1) on the 2-1 table resulting in only 1 additional German loss and .2 loss in morale.
- Baden rols a 2 on the 4-3 table resulting in no loss but a further 1.3 loss in morale, breaking the French.

The Baden Corps pursued with cavalry but inflict no further damage.

Davout must retreat. The French lose 2 Pol Pts for the defeat.

Total losses were Baden 6I, France 2I - Baden holds the field.

Battle of Karlsruhe.

The Emperor send a note expressing his profound disappointment.

Russia Due to the weather and no wars, the Russian army sits on its depots to wait out the season. VII Corps (Vyborg) forages w/o loss, VI Corps (Riga) forages w/o loss, the three corps at Grodno pay for supply as do the four corps at Brest-Litovsk. No losses are suffered to foraging elsewhere though there are close calls.

Turkey - Turkish Feudal coprs in Bessarabia and Armenia manage to forage without loss.
- Down in Crete, Africa and the Middle East, where winter conditions do not exist, the turks land the Greek Corps by sea east of Damietta to link up with the Imp Cav Corps. A depot is placed about ship and the two corps pay a total of $2 for supply. The Nizami Cedid corps remain in Palestine to forage w/o risk.
- II Jan Corps (10I, 2C) lands at Benghazi and with sea supply ($1) and assaults the city garrison.
- Total cost for new depots and supplies is $8

Siege of Benghazi - fail to Breach

Austria - Austria redeploys forces in Venetia and Modena. The V Corps move to Modena, VI Corps moves to Mantua to join the IG and IC moves from Trieste to Venice. All foraging is successful in the rich Po Valley. Depots are placed in Karlstadt and Freiburg ($1 ea.)
- III Corps move to Zara and lays siege.
- IV Corps moves from Freiburg to Ulm and lays siege
- Charles and II Corps cross neutral Bavarian territory to Wurtemburg where they are joined by the Lt Inf Corps from Freiburg. II Corps is supplied by $1 while the LI C forages (5)
- Elsewhere 2I factors are lost to winter foraging.

Siege of Zara - fail to Breach
Siege of Ulm - fail to Breach

Battle of Stuttgart -

Austrian II Corps (10I, 1C), Lt I Corps (4I) vs Wurtemburg Corps (2I)
Attacker Chit - Echelon; Defender Chit - Defend
- dr 7 on table 1-3 vs dr 1 on 4-1 table
Result - Wurt Corps loses 2I and is destroyed. No Austrian losses

The valiant sacrifice of the Wurtemburgers in the field means the city cannot be attacked this month and the garrison holds.

The destroyed corps means -1 Pol Pt to France and +1 to Austria

Prussia - Executes its advances and siege attacks
- VII Corps lays siege to Lubeck
- IV Corps lays siege to Weimar
- II Corps enters Gottingen
- The remainder of the army either forages in place or pay $ for supplies. 1I factor is lost foraging. Total cost for depots and supply - $14

Siege of Lubeck - Breach, garrison destroyed. No Pru losses

Siege of Weimar - Breach, garrison destroyed. No Pru losses.

Britain - forages successfully at home.
- Baden Corps forages w/o risk
- Cyrenaica Corps forages w/o risk
- I Egyptian Corps forages w/o risk

Seige of Benghazi - 2I inside Benghazi starve. Seige continues.

Spain - will try to economise on expenses by foraging if odds are </=4. Home army loses 1I to forage.
- IG and VIII Corps land at Taranto with sea supply
- total expenses for depots and supplies $7

This ends the Land and Combat Phases for January 1805
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan 05 Fr Land.jpg (196.9 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg baden.jpg (107.6 KB, 435 views)

Last edited by The Purist; 20 Oct 12 at 19:34..
Old 20 Oct 12, 19:34
England

Summary of Jan 1805

For those who know this game already this is all old hat but I tried to demonstrate a number of issues with this first turn vis-a-vis the French, British and Spanish.

1- The debacle on the Rhine with Davout was to illustrate how even a strong, well led, high morale, army can be defeated by a smaller less prepared force if the generals get too over confident. While the Baden Corps was almost wiped out it did manage to hold off an army with higher morale, cav superiority and a large advantage in tactical leadership. Baden cost the French 2 pol pts and gained Britain 2.

2- The French experience in Jan 1805 was also used to show how quickly even a powerful nation like France and its army can be caught unprepared for a winter campaign by trying to do too much even when the distances involved were small. France is now going into Feb 1805 with only 5$ and it may not be able to do much manoeuvering at all. A return to capture Baden before spring may not even be possible without risking foraging penalties and losses.

3- The situation with Naples. For those not familiar with the game there is now a situation where Britain is at war with both Naples and France and can attack the Neopolitan ships but the Spanish are considered neutral. As for the Spanish, they are at war with Naples but not France or British. Should British or French ships show up to fight/meet the Neopolitain fleets there could be a three or four way battle. And to make the issue worse, the Spanish would rather the French did not harm the Italian, the French may see them as a means to help break out the Toulon force and the British just want them sunk.

Situations like this can lead to a war no one wants. The politics get tricky.

I will push through Feb and March so as to get to the Economic Phase at the end of season.

Last edited by The Purist; 21 Oct 12 at 00:43..
Old 20 Oct 12, 22:12
England

Mar 1805 -Economic Phase

Economic Phase

The Economic Phase is where Powers collect Victory Points (VPs), money and manpower for themselves, their free states and active minor allied states. Powers may also set an Economic Manipulation (EM) level where they can give up some money (lower taxation), manpower (lower recuitment) or both to gain a boost in Pol Pts (+1 or +2). Likelwise, if in trouble and not minding the loss of Pol Pts can gain money (increase taxation), manpower (increse recuiting) or both and lose VPs (-2 or -3).

Great Britain has the ability to reduce its own intake of VP for a quarter by 1/3 and reduce another Powers intake of VPs by that same amount. This allows for putting the brakes on a run away Power by use of Britain's political strength internationally at that time.

Money gained through trade with Britain or America can only come through unblockaded ports. Free and active Allied minor states collect their own money and manpower at a rate 2x what they provide to the owning Power. It is wise to consider freeing "conquered" minor countries which possess Corps or Fleets of their own and helping them build additional forces to help out with the cause.

There are certain Italian and German Corps that when operating "Free" under French control have 4 MP like the French. If the Polish Kingdom is created the corps have 4 movement and 4 morale for inf and cav.

New Kingdoms: - the kingdoms below, when created, become large minor power states under the control of the forming Power. All component parts contribuute their money and manpower to the larger state and all free corps normal associated with its constituent states remain available. While individual states with these kingdoms can be conquered the Kingdom itself is not considered conquered until all minor states making up its parts are conquered.

The Confederation of the Rhine - created by combining 15 of 22 states in western Germany between the Tyrol and Mecklenburg including:

Ansbach, Baden, Bavaria, Berg, Breisgau, Gottingen, Hamburg, Hanover, Hesse, Julich, Lausitz, Magdeburg, Mecklenburg, Munster, Nassau, Oldenberg, Saxony, Swabia, Thuringia. Tyrol, Wurtemburg, Wurzburg.

The Kingdom of Poland - The Kingdom of Poland is created from the Prussian province of Masovia and at least one other of the Prussian, Rusian or Austrian provinces marks with a (P). To be made part of Poland at its creation the provinces must be controlled, not just occupied, by the Power forming Poland.

Ottoman Empire is created from at least 6 of the 8 provinces between Syria and Morocco. The normally low morale of the minor states that make up the Ottoman Empire all get a +1 increase when part of the Empire. However, they are still below that of the regular European armies. If controlled by Turkey any Ottoman money not spent in the Dec Economic Phase is received by Turkey as "Tribute"

Maintenance

The computer will automatically deduct the maintenance costs for corps, fleets and depots on the map at the start of the EP. These costs are:

Corps - $1
Fleets in port or blockading - $1
Fleets at sea - $5
Depots - $1

Teams should be aware that these costs add up faster than is thought.

Production

All new units cost a combination of money and/or manpower to build and take various numbers of months before complete. These costs/times are as follows:

Militia - $0/2 mpwr/1 month
Infantry - $3/2 mpwr/3 months
Guards - $7/2 mpwr/6 months
Cavalry - $12/2 mpwr/5 months
Artillery - $7/1 mpwr/6 months
Hvy Ship - $9/1 mpwr/12 months
Lt Ship - $6/1 mpwr/9 months
Trn Ship - $4/ 1 mpwr/6 months

Spare Corps for use during reinforcement phase - $1
Spare Fleet for use during reinforcement phase - $1
Place depots during the monthly turns - $1

Players need to be aware that they need to retain a war chest for paying supplies and newly paced depots throughout the 3 months between economic phases. This is especially important during seasons with winter months when costs double

While unused money can be saved all Powers except prussia lose whatever mpwr pts not used so its recommended these be used to create militia points (EXC: Turkey has no militia).

The costs for Free and Allied Minor States are the same and these states pay their own maintenance from their budgets by the controlling Power is responsible for supply costs during the monthly turns. Money and manpower not spent by Minor states is lost (EXC: Ottoman Empire Tribute to Turkey). Money can be transferred to controlled Free and Allied States to help them out as needed or required.

March 1805 - Economic Phase

Britain - Britain collects a lot of money from trade and its off map colonies and can generally help with costs for its allies. Once it meets its own need it can send $ to allies throughout the monthly turns (as can others Powers) which will be added to the recipients totals in the next economic phase.

After all expenses and income the British had $122 and 16 mpwr:

- 4 Hvy ships were begun in London
- 4 Lt ships were begun in London
- 2 Trn ships were begun in London
- 2I and 1M were purchased
- 1 Hvy Fleet and 2 Lt Fleet markers were purchased
- EM is set to 0

Spain

- 1 Hvy ship begun in Cadiz
- Lt ship begun in Cadiz
- 1 Trn ship begun in Cadiz
- 3I and 4M factors purchased
- EM set to +1 (-5 mpwr)

Prussia

- 8I and 2M factors were purchased
- EM set to 0
- 10 mpwr were saved
- Saxony purchased 2I factors

Austria

- 2G, 8I, 4M and 1C factor were purchased
- EM set to +1 (mpwr)

Turkey

- 2I factors were purchased
- 1 Trn ship was begun in Constantinople
- EM set to +1 (mpwr)

Russia

- 1 Hvy ship was begun in Riga
- 2 Trn ship were begun in Riga
- 1G, 5I, 9M and 2A factors were purchased
- EM set to +1 (mpwr)

France

- Holland began 1 Hvy and 1Lt ship in Amsterdam, 2I factors were purchased.
- 1 Hvy ship begun in Brest
- 2 Lt ships begun in Brest
- 14I and 7M factors purchased
- EM set to 0

This concludes the Tutorial Examples of Play.

Last edited by The Purist; 21 Apr 14 at 11:16..
Old 20 Oct 12, 23:58
England

Summary of changes to April 1805

In order to bring the everyone up to date on the military and political events in Feb and March here is a summary:

France - had to slow its expansionndue to lack of money but did complete the conquests of Oldenburg and Berg. Baden is about to fall and Nassau has been besieged. France also scored some success in Naples, exchanging battle honours with the Spanish but effectively halting the Spanish attempt to take the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily. A political breakthrough with Spain is thought to be imminent. The situation in Italy is fraying relations with Austria

Germany, April 1805

Britain - The turks were on the ropes for a bit in both Egypt and Cyrenaica but the superior numbers and moral finally overcame both minor states. Egypt is about to fall. britain is still ahead in PolPts because of the Baden victory, temporary as it was. French losses only added insult to injury. Britain is risking war with the US over blocked trade with France.

Russia - sat tight through the winter and thought to be casting its eyes at targets in the Baltic. It is thought to be discussing events in Germany and Italy with Austria.

Austria - The Hapsburgs have done well in the opening months except for losing its influence with Bavaria. It is in a string position along the upper Rhine with the fall of Wurtemburg imminent. An even better position has been established in Italy as Austria took advanatge of french troubles in Germany to capture Romagna, ally with Modena and spread its influence into Tuscany. There is talk of pressing their advantage perhaps as far south as Rome and perhaps to Genoa.

Italy, April 1805

Prussia - continues to walk a tight rope in Germany but the French raised an eyebrow at the taking of Holstein. Prussian troops have begun a slow move north and it is wondered if they are considering trying to capitalise on apparent French weakness and fumbles thus far.

Spain - After a gutsy start by crossing the Mediterranean, to grab Naples and Sicily, the Spanish have faultered. The exhaustion of the army has meant that Naples may not fall and with the British interference with the the possible capture of the Neopolitan fleets, relations have worsened with London. A critical eye has also been cast towards the Turkish moves in northeast Africa.

Turkey - a bloody start with a number of reverses in the initial attacks into Africa but the situation appears under controls now. The other Powers have remarked at the lack of British naval presence to caution the Grand Porte against western adventures. Spain in particular seems concerned about an return of Turkish strength in the central Mediterranen. COnstantinople has reassured its neighbours that "Europe" is not on their agenda.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ita Apr 1805.jpg (180.6 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg Ger Apr 1805.jpg (192.3 KB, 429 views)

Last edited by The Purist; 25 Oct 12 at 21:05..
Old 25 Oct 12, 21:05
England

Winning the Campaign

So! How does one Power win the campaign?

Winning the Game

Each Power must accumulate a certain number of Victory Points before Dec 1815 to win the game. These point are accumulated every quarter during the Economic Phase.

Each Power begins with 0 points and the totals needed are:

France - 400 (9.1 pts/Qtr)
Great Britain - 370 (8.5 pts/Qtr)
Russia - 335 (7.6 pts/Qtr)
Austria - 330 (7.5 pts/Qtr)
Spain - 325 (7.4 pts/Qtr)
Prussia - 320 (7.3 pts/Qtr)
Turkey - 315 (7.2 pts/Qtr)

These VPs are accumulated by converting Pol Pts into VPbased on these range brackets:
Pol Pt = VP
1-4 = 1
5-8 = 2
9-12 = 3
13-16 = 4
17-20 = 5
21-23 = 6
24-26 = 7
27-29 = 8
30-31 = 9
32-33 = 10
34-35 = 11
36 = 12
37 = 13
38 = 14
39 = 15

If you begin an Eco Ph with 0 - 9 Pol Pts you are in the Fiasco Zone. This will mean all your Conquered and Free States will turn neutral regardless of their garrison status. If occupied by an enemy corps they may even switch sides.

If you begin an Eco Ph with 10 - 19 Pol Pts you are in the Instability Zone. This will mean all Conquered minor states in your control will turn neutral or change sides unless you have a corps in that state.

If you begin the Eco Ph with 20 - 29 pol Pts you are in the Normal Zone.

If you begin the Eco Ph with 30-39 Pol Pts you are in the Dominant Zone.

Nature loves a balance and the Pol Pt will tend to adjust to the middle of the normal zone. This means a Power that has been badly beaten and driven down politically will begin automatic adjustments toward the normal zone while dominant Powers will adjust downward.

The Economic Manipulation (EM) mentioned above comes into play here in that you can increase or decrease this adjustment by manipulating your taxation, recruiting or both. By EM you can hold your dominant status, and thus high VP level, for a longer period by slowing the - adjustments. Likewise, if badly defeated and not gaining much in the way of VPs you can speed your recovery by using EM for increased + adjustments.

Finally,... Britain can reduce its own intake of VPs in a quarter by 1/3 and decrease another power that it is at war with by the same amount. If no major power achieves its total VP target to win, Britain wins.

Last edited by The Purist; 19 May 13 at 04:38..
Sponsored Links

Old 25 Oct 12, 21:36
England

Odds and Sods

Other Items of Interest

Piracy and Anti-Piracy Operations it is possible to intercept some of the port trade by assigning Lt ships to piracy missions and, to counter them, anti piracy missions.

- during the naval phase a fleet may be assigned to piracy. At least 5 Lt ships must be used and they must be in a fleet marker. A d12 is rolled for each piracy mission and on a 7+ there is an effect. The dr is modified thus:

+1 if the fleet spent the entire quarter in piracy
+2 for every additional 5 ships assigned to that mission.

The maximum pirates can reduce port trade by is 5 points. Piracy may not take more trade than a Power generates. Piracy can be targeted against enemy Powers, neutral Powers and Allied Powers alike. The same ships cannot be used against more than one target Power.

Example - Turkey is at war with Russia and Britain and cannot hope to match their combined naval power. Turkey does have 25 Lt ships in 3 fleets and assigns all three to piracy. 2 Fleets with 20 ships are targeted at Britain and the third with 5 ships is targeted at Russia. All ships have spent the entire quarter conducting piracy. The modifiers are:

Against Britain: +1 for full quarter piracy; +3 for each additional 5 ships over the first 5 for a total of +4.
Britain will lose $1 on a dr of 3, $2 on a dr of 4, $3 on a dr of 5 and so on up to a maximum of $5

Against Russia: +1 for a full quarter piracy. Russia will lose $1 on a dr of 6, $2 on a dr of 7 and so on

Anti-Piracy - after the first loss of $ to piracy the target Power can assign lt ships to anti-piracy. A number between 1 and 100 is generated and if that number is less than the total number of ships on anti-piracy, the pirates will lose 1-3 ships. If the number is 90+ then the anti-piracy force loses 1-3 ships.

Example: Britain has been the target of piracy attacks in the past and has assigned 25 Light ships to anti-piracy. During the economic phase 15 French and 10 Spanish ships conduct piracy. The British fleet will attempt anti-piracy against both groups and against the French the dr is 16 and against the Spanish it is a 91.

The French will lose 1-3 ships (6dr/2 fru) and rolls a 4 = 2 ships lost

The British had less luck against the Spanish and roll a 5 = 3 ships lost (5/2 fru = 3)

Spanish Gold

Each Sept Eco Ph the Spanish Gold Convoy arrives and a 2d6 is rolled. On a result between 2 and 12 the Spanish will receive an additional $5 to $40. If Spain is at war with Britain there is a -2 to the dr and on a 2 or less the British will receive $15 and Spain nothing.

Establishing a Supply Chain

a more detailed view of the supply.

- As mentioned previously, any controlled city in the home nation, a conquered or free minor state is a supply source. However to actually draw supply from that city one needs to deploy a depot (cost $1).

- a depot will cast supplies up to three areas away at an ever increasing cost. Cost to supply a corps in the same area $.5, one area away, $1. Two areas $2 and so on. Costs double in winter.

- a supply chain is established, one depot at a time and the depots must be no more than two areas apart.

Example:
- If a Russian army of four corps want to lay a spply chain from Brest Litovsk to Munich through Austrian territory (access is assumed) the Russians would place a depot on Brest-Litovsk on the first turn. The army could then send a corps forwards two areas (Lublin) and pay $2 for supply. The rest of the army waits in B-L or it too could advance up to 3 areas and still draw supply from the depot.
- on the second turn, the corps in Lublin could place anther depot ($1) and again march two areas further along the route (Krakow), paying $2 for supply. The other three corps, having waited in B-L could now advance three areas (between Lublin and Krakow) if desired and draw supply from the Lublin depot.
- on the third turn the lead corps in Krakow places andother depot ($1) and again moves two areas (Brunn).
- this process is repeated all the way to Munich (depots in Lublin, Krakow, Brunn, Vienna, Munich)

The supply chain is established.

Reinforcements from Russia, fresh off the production line could now roll straight down this chain and replenish any corps that is on or adjacent to a depot in the chain (for a maximum of six depots, three for militia). If a new corps marker is purchased, it too could be send down the chain and deployed on or adjacent to a depot

Sea Supply works the same way except that the first depot must be in a supply city that is a port and the second depot must also be in a port across sea areas. One of the two ports must have a fleet marker, even if it possesses 1 ship. Once the depot is set up in the two port, the chain may be extended overland as per the normal method.

Invasion Supply works similarly to Sea Supply except the attacker does not possess a port. A Heavy of Transport fleet in a sea area adjacent to a coastal province may deploy a depot on the fleet and it will supply all corps in range (effective range of 1). If the fleet moves, the depot is removed.

Depot Garrisons - Why?

Depots are your life line for large armies that cannot forage or in winter when foraging is poor. Normaly a chain of depots behind an advancing army is fairlay safe from being overrun and destroyed but not always. It be worth the loss of a small corps or a couple of points of cavalry to dash around an enemy army and destroy a depot in the chain. Depending on the circumstances it could cost the enemy a lot of forage casualties and significantly weaken an army. The Russians also possess "Cossack" cavalry points *3) that operate outside the corps system. They have very low morale but move 5 spaces and can tear up a supply line before being destroyed. In 1813 the Prusiians gain a "Freikorps" unit that operates the same.

- During the Reinforcement Phase or Land Phase a corps may drop up to 10I or M factors on a depot in its area. Likewise, fresh reinforcements from the home nation can be placed on a depot in a legal supply chain.
- the factors on a depot will take part in any field battle in that hex but cannot be part of an outflanking force. In this way they act like a small corps that does not count against a commanders corps maximum rating.
- NB - depots cannot be removed if they possess garrisons so it is always wise to keep a weak corps in the background to absorb garrisons if you need to remove depots.

Gaming Guide

This article gives an over view of some of the more common pitfalls in the game. Give them a read.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...le/ah20030801a

Here is an older forum with discussions concerning the board game but the principles still apply

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/7537/...-arms/strategy

In Progress

Last edited by The Purist; 18 May 13 at 12:06..
Old 27 Oct 12, 17:21
England

Making Peace

Peace and Peace Terms

Informal Peace – two powers may realize that their war is a huge mistake and want to end it without terms. Such a peace should be noted by each Power in their Diplomacy Phase orders.

Conditional Peace Terms (-5 Pol Pts, +3 Pol pts)

Step 1 – Defeated Power chooses one item from list A

Step 2 - Victorious Power or Powers each choose one item from list B. No item may be chosen twice, the blocked action in step 1 may not be chosen.

When all victors have chosen their term peace resumes. Note that players may pre-load these terms in the diplomatic orders to save time. They may also discuss via PM/email what terms are acceptable to both sides.

Unconditiona Peace terms (-8 pol pts,+5 Pol pts)

Step 1 – the Victorious Power(s) may choose up to 3 items from lists B or C noting the exceptions and that the same term cannot be chosen twice. The winning side, if more than on Power, will alternate their choices based on who has the highest pol pts at the time choosing first.

List A

A.1 Remove no forces – cancels B.1, B.7
A.2 Pay no reparations – cancels B.3
A.3 No special truces – cancels B.2
A.4 No trade embargoes – cancels B.5
A.5 Cede no land – cancels B.6

List B

B.1 Remove 3 Corps – not allowed if C.1 was chosen
B.2 Enforced 24 month Peace – not allowed if C.2 was chosen
B.3 Reparations ½ - home tax value for 1 Eco Ph. – not allowed if C.3 was chosen
B.4 Royal Marriage (give victor +2 Pol Pts). If war breaks out again between parties there is an additional -1 to pol pts
B.5 No Trade w/ Gr Br or US. Violation of condition would permit a declaration even if normal period restriction has not passed.
B.6 Cede 1 province or minor state. If a home province it may not be the capital and the victor must have forces in or adjacent to chosen province. – not allowed if C.4 was chosen
B.7 Remove 1 Flt – not allowed if C.1 was chosen

List C

C.1 Remove home nation forces. Choose one of the following:
- a. Remove 3 corps – not allowed if B.1 was chosen
- b. Remove all home nation garrisons
- c. Remove 2 fleets – not allowed if B.7 was chosen
C.2 Enforced Peace 36 months – not allowed if B.2 was chosen
C.3 Reparations All. – home tax value for 1 Eco Ph. – not allowed if B.3 was chosen
C.4 Cede 3 provinces or minor countries. If a home province they may not be the capital and the victor must have forces in or adjacent to chosen provinces. – not allowed if B.4 was chosen
C.5 Enforced Access. Victor may garrison all cities in provinces and minor controlled states of the defeated. The Victor has unconditional access through the defeated Power’s territory.
C.6 Remove 1 Leader. One leader of the Victor’s choice is removed from the map and cannot be returned except under specific conditions (see below)
C.7 Half Trade (only applied *against* Gr Britain) ½ of all trade must be given to the Victor for the next four Eco Ph unless war again breaks out between the two parties – not allowed if B.5 was chosen.

TIPS for choosing Peace Terms

T - Think before you pillage
I - Imagine the shoe on the other foot and what tomorrow might bring.
P - Plan for the future, terms should meet a long term goal not short-term bloody mindedness
S - Save some good will amongst the soon to be defeated.

If you have gotten the upper hand on an opponent and are racking up the Pol Pts (and thus VP) you may want to start talking with allies and the enemy about peace terms. The first impulse to go for the throat and gut the current opponent in order to weaken him. Is this wise?

Others will see your VP rolling upwards and even while you finishing up the current war they be planning for the next. So should you. If that is the case it may be wise, even if going for an unconditional peace, to soften your terms in order to let the current opponent know that your differences are current,... not permanent.

Take, for example, a war between Prussia and Spain that broke out over some Italian possession. Even if Spain were to succeed in defeating the Prussians on the battlefield in Italy does it make much sense to push for an unconditional peace with full reparations, 3 provinces ceded and the removal of Blucher? First of all you would have to march on Berlin, destroying the entire Prussian army en route, then you might dictate these. Then what?

A devesataed Prussia may respond to a future cry for help from Spain as French Guards and heavy cavalry march into Madrid with a very loud raspberry. In place of a threat to France's eastern flank there is only silence.

So the moral here is to aware not only of what is going on around you this particular turn but what your neighbours might think or do in 6 months or year. Less can be more where diplomacy and peace terms are concerned.

Tomorrow's enemy could be today's staunchest ally,... and vis versa.

Last edited by The Purist; 15 Feb 14 at 23:26..
Old 02 Feb 14, 17:24
England

Uncontrolled Major Powers

Uncontrolled Major Powers

When a major power is not controlled by a player the other players may bid for control at the start of each January Political Phase.

There is no economic cost but the bidding power has certain modifiers that effect the dr.

a - A major power at war with an UMP and has forces inside the UMPs controlled territory may not bid for control.
b - A major power at war with an UMP that has just declared war the previous month cannot bid for control.

A competitive dr is made by the GM on behalf of the bidding powers for control with the following drm:

+1 if allied to the UMP
-2 if at war with UMP (see a), above
+/- political status modifier (-2 Fiasco, -1 Instability, 0 Normal, +1 Dominant)
+/- Natural Alliance Modifier (see below)

Natural Alliance Modifier Table

---------Austria---France---Great Britain---Prussia---Russia---Spain---Turkey
Austria---x----------0------------+3-------------(-)1----+1------0-------(-)2--
France---(-)1-------x-------------n/a------------(-)3----(-)2-----0-------+1---
Gr Brit---+3--------n/a-----------x--------------+2-----(-)1-----+1------0---
Prussia--(-)1-------(-)2----------+2-------------x-------+3------0--------0----
Russia---+1--------(-)1----------(-)1------------+3-----x--------0--------(-3)--
Spain-----0----------0------------+1--------------0------0--------x--------(-)1--
Turkey--(-)2--------+1-----------0---------------0-----(-)3----(-1)-------x---

The highest final dr will gain the UMP's control by the bidding Power. If there is a tie a subsequent dr is made modified only by the political status modifier with the highest dr winning. If there are no bids, the UMP remains under the control of the GM/AI.

Restrictions

- Should a controlled UMP fall into the Instability zone (regardless of how this happens) at the end of a quarter (after the econ phase), it will immediately return to uncontrolled status if not able to attain 'normal' status
- Should a controlled UMP fall into the Fiasco zone it will immediately return uncontrolled status and the end of the current monthly turn.

(** such uncontrolled major powers would likely sue for peace; the chance of this happening are improved by the terms offered and the position on the "Instabilty" or "Fiasco" region of the political Status chart).

Last edited by The Purist; 15 Feb 15 at 01:50..
Closed Thread

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!