StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 08 Apr 10, 13:49
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200]
Lightbulb

6 D's - Deep Diving Death Defying (or Dealing) Denizens of the Deep. Term used by submariners to refer to themselves. Often used to detect SKIMMERs by their helpless laughter upon hearing the phrase.

SKIMMER = surface sailor

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway
Old 08 Apr 10, 14:37
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAirborneSon View Post
6 D's - Deep Diving Death Defying (or Dealing) Denizens of the Deep. Term used by submariners to refer to themselves. Often used to detect SKIMMERs by their helpless laughter upon hearing the phrase.

SKIMMER = surface sailor
As a surface guy I prefer the term bobbleheads when referring to submariners, I also believe that the only good sub is a dead sub, which is what us surface guys use to detect bobbleheads in a group as that phrase was usually followed by cries of costernation. Anyway, since we are in a nautical mood, here is one for you; cup of joe - used to refer to coffee. Came about after Josephus Daniels, SECNAV under Wilson issed general order #99 which removed alcoholic beverages off of U.S. Navy ships. The kinder version maintains that the enlisted guys toasted to his health because at that time only the officers were allowed to drink. I personally go for choice B; the enlisted guys cursed old Josephus to hell and back for not restoring their ration of grog.

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!
Old 08 Apr 10, 15:27
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200] 17thAirborneSon is walking in the light [200]
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass_man86 View Post
As a surface guy I prefer the term bobbleheads when referring to submariners, I also believe that the only good sub is a dead sub, which is what us surface guys use to detect bobbleheads in a group as that phrase was usually followed by cries of costernation. Anyway, since we are in a nautical mood, here is one for you; cup of joe - used to refer to coffee. Came about after Josephus Daniels, SECNAV under Wilson issed general order #99 which removed alcoholic beverages off of U.S. Navy ships. The kinder version maintains that the enlisted guys toasted to his health because at that time only the officers were allowed to drink. I personally go for choice B; the enlisted guys cursed old Josephus to hell and back for not restoring their ration of grog.
Thanks for the lesson, Mario. I must admit I baited the hook a bit and
came up with more than I ever bargained for! I've a number of
friends and family who have traversed the oceans both above and below.
No disrespect meant for either case.

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway
Old 27 Nov 11, 16:29
Sergeant Major
United_States

Gencallan has disabled reputation
I was Army, here's the terms used when I was in:
RA=Regular Army(enlistee)
US=United States(government Issue draftees)
Leg=regular infantry.(airborne guys called the rest of us)
SOS=**** On a Shingle(gravy/meat on bread or toast)
Old 18 Feb 12, 09:29
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
During the South's all-too-short independence, Artillery companies (as they were called then) had four lieutenants, a senior and junior first lieutenant, and a senior and junior second lieutenant.

During the war with Mexico, the Army still had Ensigns, but I'm not sure if the officers in that position were the most junior second lieutenant, or if they were junior to all the lieutenants in a company. This rank is now used only by the Navy, of course, for it's most junior commissioned officers.
I think that ensign was a bloke that hadn't quite made it yet to the exalted rank of 2nd Lieutenant. PS.I believe that the pronunciation of 'leftenant was (or is) the French style. lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Last edited by lcm1; 18 Feb 12 at 09:34..
Old 18 Feb 12, 13:53
Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Larkin has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
I think that ensign was a bloke that hadn't quite made it yet to the exalted rank of 2nd Lieutenant. PS.I believe that the pronunciation of 'leftenant was (or is) the French style. lcm1
Ensigns were a rank right under 2LT. They were so named because, in those days, it was an officer's job to carry the unit colors (ensigns). The idea being that, since colors were so important for signaling the advance and retreat of a unit, they needed an officer to carry the responsibility. Plus, putting them at the center of the line with only one responsibility was thought of as a good way to expose them to fire and steady them before they got in a position to command.
Old 18 Feb 12, 21:40
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
Ensigns were a rank right under 2LT. They were so named because, in those days, it was an officer's job to carry the unit colors (ensigns). The idea being that, since colors were so important for signaling the advance and retreat of a unit, they needed an officer to carry the responsibility. Plus, putting them at the center of the line with only one responsibility was thought of as a good way to expose them to fire and steady them before they got in a position to command.
I have just attempted to forward what could have possibly been an interesting account of the fact that in the Royal Marines that job was always the responsibility of the Colours Sergeant and a job highly sought after and what happened? Why, my B***** computor decided to play up right at that moment and I lost the lot!!!!! So you are either out of luck, or feeling glad at this moment of reading! lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 18 Feb 12, 21:48
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAirborneSon View Post
Thanks for the lesson, Mario. I must admit I baited the hook a bit and
came up with more than I ever bargained for! I've a number of
friends and family who have traversed the oceans both above and below.
No disrespect meant for either case.
How about a funny one, 'Rose cottage' for the section of the sick bay where they treated the unfortunates with sexual diseases. lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 01 Sep 13, 19:41
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
SNAFU - ancient Germanic for "The Lieutenant continued to ignore the Platoon Sgt.'s advice"
Situation Normal, All F***** Up
You cannot forget SNAFU, which means: Things aren't going so well, as usual.
Old 01 Sep 13, 19:52
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
I've just found this thread so I'm sure that the terms I'm going to post have already been so:

The Marine Corps adopted many naval terms, such as:

Pogey bait - candy

Scuttle Butt - drinking fountain or a rumor. Because rumors were often spread around the shuttle butt.

A John Wayne - that little can opener that came with the C-rats....the Army called it a P-38. We all wore a John Wayne around our neck on the chain that held our dog tags.

"He just Sh*t in his mess kit." He did something that really screwed himself up.

Skivvies - Your unmentionables

Pi$$ Cutter - Your fore and aft cap (your cover).

The Birdie, Ball and Hook - The Eagle World and Anchor of the Corps!

Talley Ho! A British term we used to communicate that we see a bogie, or anything else. "I'm at your two o'clock low". You look down and see him. "Talley Ho".

There are so many.
Sponsored Links

Old 01 Sep 13, 19:56
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
We called 2nd balloons and ensigns, "Butter Bars".
Old 27 Jan 14, 09:10
Brigadier General
UK

Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wooden Wonder has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Not sure whether already mentioned:

'Kicked the bucket' - originally a reference to a hanged person, often a suicide, having kicked away the 'bucket' they were standing on.

Prang - possibly imitative of an explosion; perhaps related to Malay perang war, fighting.
First recorded as having been used in 1941 - RAF used the word with reference to a crash/accident.

Wizard Prang - A spectacular crash, also sometimes one in which the aircrew unexpectedly survived/walked away.

Funnies - Special military vehicle variants, such as swimming, mine clearing, or bridging tanks.

D-Day Dodgers - Ironic reference to the troops slugging it up the boot of Italy.

Forgotten Army - Ironic reference to the 14th. [British, Empire and Commonweath] Army in Burma.

Last edited by Wooden Wonder; 27 Jan 14 at 09:27..
Old 30 Jan 14, 11:42
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
Not sure whether already mentioned:

'Kicked the bucket' - originally a reference to a hanged person, often a suicide, having kicked away the 'bucket' they were standing on.

Prang - possibly imitative of an explosion; perhaps related to Malay perang war, fighting.
First recorded as having been used in 1941 - RAF used the word with reference to a crash/accident.

Wizard Prang - A spectacular crash, also sometimes one in which the aircrew unexpectedly survived/walked away.

Funnies - Special military vehicle variants, such as swimming, mine clearing, or bridging tanks.

D-Day Dodgers - Ironic reference to the troops slugging it up the boot of Italy.

Forgotten Army - Ironic reference to the 14th. [British, Empire and Commonweath] Army in Burma.
D Day dodgers, was sung to the tune of Lilli Marlene "They are the D Day dodgers,that stayed in Italy" Not fair I know,but a lot of things were not fair in those days. lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 30 Jan 14, 11:49
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormack View Post
We called 2nd balloons and ensigns, "Butter Bars".
And Colour sergeants and his men were responsible for keeping that colours flying.A very important job for if the Colours fall the line could break. lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!