StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > World History Group Welcomes You! > World History Group Magazines > American History Magazine

Notices and Announcements

American History Magazine Discuss magazine articles and issues here.

Old 01 Apr 13, 23:14
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
To my surprise, when checking the satellite view/map of North Hero, I see that the old 4H site up the street has been turned into a park, "Camp Ingalls" Decades ago this was to be a state park, but the beach is not ideal since it is on a cliff, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. I found the you tube videos below of an arts performance there last year. Too bad the video camera was never turned around to face west, as the shadows show it is approaching sunset - no doubt a great view over the lake to the setting sun over the Adirondacks - August 24, 2012

Camp Ingalls Info
http://www.northherovt.com/Recreation/camp-info.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z8WHgaC8Sc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Aq4FmeGSs

link to 2012 Island Arts Calendar

http://www.islandarts.org/assets/fil...s_Brochure.pdf

From Camp Ingalls - Butternut Hill Trail to the lake and back - similar to the treks we would make - can't copy the picture directly - the fields to the north and immediate northeast of the trial were part of my family's farm. On the "Points of Interest" section on the link below, there is a record a hiker made of his or her hike. The 1.40 mile hike makes reference to Camp Ingalls, Lakeside Flood Plain, Cedar Pine Bluff, Beach, and Vernal Pool. I remember cedars in the area. As I have said before on the thread, good for Vermont (and in this case North Hero) for preserving the land and the lake and the heritage.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1884525

picture from above, trimbleoutdoors.com

Last edited by lakechampainer; 02 Apr 13 at 20:35..
Old 02 Apr 13, 17:34
Banned
Canada

AnthonyGlen is on the path to success [1-99]
-- Banned for trolling and multiple accounts. Good bye, ACG Staff. --

Last edited by GCoyote; 03 Apr 13 at 11:15..
Old 23 Apr 13, 21:37
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
From lakechamplainlife.com - info on opening of butternut hill trail last August (The trail I discussed in my last post)

http://lakechamplainlife.com/ai1ec_e.../?instance_id=
Old 23 Apr 13, 23:15
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
From lakechamplainlife.com - info on opening of butternut hill trail last August (The trail I discussed in my last post)

http://lakechamplainlife.com/ai1ec_e.../?instance_id=
Looks nice Tony...I like the shots of the farm,outdoors and the stories you did a lot of work puting this together...I'm going to have to have a better look next time...
I think quite a few French Canadians moved to New England during diffrent periods starting with the Acadians I think there is a Bisson in Marblehead Masachusetts 1750's or so after the French & Indian War.
I found another John Bisson in a muster roll for Pennsylvania war of 1812 he could also be Acadian as well I don't know but then people moved about pretty freely back then.
Great thread & interesting stuff for sure!
Cheers,Pat
Old 24 Apr 13, 16:35
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Here are the links that I was able to find... Margaret Bisson's parents were probably from Acadia(Nova Scotia,Canada) This group works the land with their hands..farming,fishing,whaling etc...
http://records.ancestry.com/Margaret...x?pid=42265978
John Bisson is probably of Acadian decent as well.
http:www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~GENHOME/ofc1812.htm
This group is made up mostly of highly educated professionals ...doctors,lawyers etc..
http://huguenotsocietyofamerica.org/...guenot-History
I hope these links prove worth a peek a boo!
Cheers,Pat
Old 24 Apr 13, 16:45
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
My father told me of harvesting wheat as a boy. His father pulled a combine with a gas-powered tractor, and his mother drove a wagon along the (cut) side of the combine, while a canvas hopper poured the grain from the combine into the wagon bed.

The horses did not like the noisy tractor, and kept edgeing away, so my father's job was to move from a plank nailed to the (wooden) side of the combine to the wagon side and back, keeping the canvas hopper belt from sagging or pulling loose and spilling the grain.

He said in the first two minutes he was coated in chaff and by the first lap the exhaust from the tractor would make him sick.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 24 Apr 13, 21:09
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackUm View Post
Here are the links that I was able to find... Margaret Bisson's parents were probably from Acadia(Nova Scotia,Canada) This group works the land with their hands..farming,fishing,whaling etc...
http://records.ancestry.com/Margaret...x?pid=42265978
John Bisson is probably of Acadian decent as well.
http:www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~GENHOME/ofc1812.htm
This group is made up mostly of highly educated professionals ...doctors,lawyers etc..
http://huguenotsocietyofamerica.org/...guenot-History
I hope these links prove worth a peek a boo!
Cheers,Pat
Very interesting, especially the Huguenot link.
I didn't know Washington had Huguenot blood.

Thanks.
Old 25 Apr 13, 09:22
First Lieutenant
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
Very interesting, especially the Huguenot link.
I didn't know Washington had Huguenot blood.

Thanks.
Same here..I think that the history of America is a lot like a construction project..It takes a lot of trades people to build it..
Cheers,Pat
Old 07 May 13, 00:58
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400]
Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400] Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400] Checkertail20 has a spectacular aura about [400]
Any poultry farmers here?
Old 27 Jun 13, 22:16
General of the Forums
United_States

A Picture from the shoreline looking towards Plattsburgh

A picture from the shoreline looking towards Isle La Motte

Sponsored Links

Old 29 Jun 13, 11:05
General of the Forums
United_States

sunset

Old 12 Jul 13, 23:31
Recruit
United_States

tbwilliams is a balanced individual [0]
desire dubuque

Tony Tramonte
I would like to talk with you about Desire Dubuque
Tom Williams
Old 13 Jul 13, 10:53
General of the Forums
United_States

Hi Tom,

Great to see your post. Below is a picture of Desire Dubuque with five generations of family, from the Burlington Free Press dated October 5, 1954. Apparently it is page two, because the flip side is apparently page one, hence the date and banner.

The other picture is a picture of him with a cat, apparently on the front porch. At first glance it looks like it could be from the same time the picture was taken of him with my mother, where she is proudly holding up the fish she caught. Actually quite an interesting picture as the lake and New York state can be seen reflecting in the window. I don't claim to be a photo interpreter, but I think the angle of the sun suggests it is near the summer solstice. Like the picture with the shadows on post 14, I'm here wondering decades -six? later wondering if we are dealing with a master photographer. (Edit - and after thinking about it, I think it most likely was my mother)

On post 2 my grandparents are holding black cats, while he is not. Post 7 is the post with my mother, the hat actually looks different, I think.

Edit: I'm typing in the text from the "Five Generations" photo, so it will show up in searches.

Five Generations - Posing for a family portrait, these five people represent five generations living in the same family. Shown are Mrs. Louis Poquette, Desire Dubuque, Lynn Mary DeGrechie, Mrs. Paul DeGrechie and Roland Poquette. The picture was taken at North Hero. Dubuque is 89 years old, and has six living children, 25 grandchildren, 33 great grandchildren and one great- great grandchild.

Regards,

Tony Tramonte
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desire dubuque family without cat.jpg (227.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Desire Dubuque family.jpg (65.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by lakechampainer; 13 Jul 13 at 12:35..
Old 13 Jul 13, 11:15
General of the Forums
United_States

Hello Tom - I just realized I'm not sure if you're asking about my great-grandfather Desire II or my great-great-grandfather Desire. Below are links to Find a grave.com, which has pictures on their grave stones down the street from you.

May my great-great- grandparents Desire Dubuque and Louisa Poquette Dubuque Rest In Peace.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=22419616

May my great-grandparents Desire Dubuque II and Eugenia Paquette Dubuque Rest In Peace

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=22419097

Last edited by lakechampainer; 13 Jul 13 at 11:33..
Old 13 Jul 13, 13:34
General of the Forums
United_States

I just realized today that in this thread I am not so much honoring my mother and her family and exploring my roots, as I am telling my mother's story through her pictures, through things she told me, through her obvious love and respect for her grandparents, through her love of being out on the lake fishing, even the walks through the graveyards. North Hero was where her soul was, really. Which is sad in a way because as an adult she spent at most 3 or 4 weeks a year there.

Rest In Peace Mom.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!