StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Maps and Topography

Notices and Announcements

Maps and Topography Information and links to maps and map resources.

Old 16 Sep 09, 06:29
Private First Class
New_Zealand
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Kiwi Red One is on the path to success [1-99]
Hi

First of all thanks for the all the maps you make available Goran W, please keep going, your efforts are much appreciated,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get hold of copies of three Mid 1940's War Department GSGS 4249 series 1:100000 scale maps of Northern France covering from the Somme to the Seine?

Specifically after maps 9D Abbeville - Dieppe, 9E Neufchatel - Rouen and 8E Le Harve - Pont Audemer

Or equivalent French 1930's Michelin maps of that area?

Yes I have Googled and not found much for that area/timeframe

Thanks in advance
KRO
Old 11 Jan 10, 13:14
First Sergeant
Sweden

goranw has disabled reputation
Hi!
This is an interesting original map
that I tried to scan.
Ostfront.
Gen. St. Karte 9 Armee 15-9-43.
One day after( the 16.9 ) the Germans left Brjansk.
At my site.
GoranW

Last edited by goranw; 11 Jan 10 at 13:16..
Old 19 Jan 10, 05:21
First Sergeant
Sweden

Hi!
To Leclerc44.
Have uploaded the NW part of the german military map y56 Gshatsk
scale 1: 300 000 on my site at www.mannaberg.se
Have not found Baklanovo but Tschainikowo( Chajnikovo)
in the 3rd field 66-00 66-10 near the 56 deg line.
Regards,
Goran

Last edited by goranw; 19 Jan 10 at 05:25..
Old 22 Mar 10, 10:31
Recruit
Estonia

Eluka is a balanced individual [0]
Hello,

Goranw nice job you doing here,
I would like a favor, a few years ago you uploaded a U 58 area Pleskau (Pskow) from T 58-U 56 Walk-DŁnaburg scale 1: 300 000 please upload it again. I am also interested in Deutsche Lagekarten 1943-45 Ostfront, Lage Ost ab 44 8 19 1:1000000 Opk Ost Blatt1.

thanks
Old 28 Mar 10, 08:19
First Sergeant
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluka View Post
Hello,

Goranw nice job you doing here,
I would like a favor, a few years ago you uploaded a U 58 area Pleskau (Pskow) from T 58-U 56 Walk-DŁnaburg scale 1: 300 000 please upload it again. I am also interested in Deutsche Lagekarten 1943-45 Ostfront, Lage Ost ab 44 8 19 1:1000000 Opk Ost Blatt1.

thanks
Hi!
U 58 area and Lage Ost -Operationskarte 1+2 19/8.
To get the Lage Ost map go to the link;
http://www.gutenberg-e.org/esk01/frames/fesk05.html
(click on "maps")
Regards,
Goran

Last edited by goranw; 29 Mar 10 at 02:43..
Sponsored Links

Old 05 Apr 10, 01:18
Recruit
Estonia

Eluka is a balanced individual [0]
Thank you very much!
Old 17 May 10, 19:08
Second Lieutenant
United_States

RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99]
German maps for Poland 1939

Hello,
Does anyone know where to find 1:100,000 scale maps for Poland for the Premzyl to Lvov (Lemburg) area, including Janow Woods and Sadow Wisnia, as used by German forces of the 14th Army? I have 1:100,000 ones from the Polish Military History Institute.

If the maps contain locations and/or movement symbols of 1st Gebirgs, 2nd Gebirgs, SS Germania, III/109th Artillery, 7th Infantry and 45th Infantry Divisions, so much the better.

Thanks
RedDagger18
Old 02 Jun 10, 11:32
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Model Forum Group Build 

Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Just to let you all know there are a couple of great WW2 atlas

This one is of Europe
http://www.amazon.com/West-Point-Atl...5492479&sr=8-2

This one is of the Pacific.
http://www.amazon.com/West-Point-Atl...5492654&sr=1-1
Old 03 Jun 10, 18:47
Second Lieutenant
United_States

RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99] RedDagger18 is on the path to success [1-99]
Poland 1939 Maps from German viewpoint

Hello,
Thanks for the info. I do have that set in hard cover. But don't think that meets my needs. I am talking about 1:100,000 or even 1:50,000, which really gets into the topographic details.

I would like to find something that perhaps had served as the battle maps of commanders and tactical command posts in the 1st and 2nd Mountain, or the 7th and 45th Infantry divisions, even SS Germania Motorized Infantry or IIId Bn/109th Artillery Regiments. And [I can wish for miracles] maybe even with still visible greasepencil or colored pencil markings show German units and movements during the campaign in Sep 1939. (I have an overlay that my Dad brought back from Italy in 1945 that still has color and markings for German unit movements around an area near Rome.)

As I said the Polish Mil His Inst sent me photo copies at 1:100,000 scale that provided much information my research project back in the late 1990's
RedDagger18
Old 04 Jun 10, 23:38
Private First Class
New_Zealand

Kiwi Red One is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDagger18 View Post
Hello,
Thanks for the info. I do have that set in hard cover. But don't think that meets my needs. I am talking about 1:100,000 or even 1:50,000, which really gets into the topographic details.

I would like to find something that perhaps had served as the battle maps of commanders and tactical command posts in the 1st and 2nd Mountain, or the 7th and 45th Infantry divisions, even SS Germania Motorized Infantry or IIId Bn/109th Artillery Regiments. And [I can wish for miracles] maybe even with still visible greasepencil or colored pencil markings show German units and movements during the campaign in Sep 1939. (I have an overlay that my Dad brought back from Italy in 1945 that still has color and markings for German unit movements around an area near Rome.)

As I said the Polish Mil His Inst sent me photo copies at 1:100,000 scale that provided much information my research project back in the late 1990's
RedDagger18
Hi Red Dagger 18

Did you know that many of the WIG (Polish Mil His Inst) maps are available for online downloads now? the site is at http://www.mapywig.org/

Can't help with dispositions that you are after but they do have 1:25000 maps available too on this page:
http://english.mapywig.org/viewpage.php?page_id=6

Afraid my Polish is not good but if you look down the left hand side (very near the bottom of the table) to map ref P49 S38 you should be able to find maps of the Lwow area.

Hope that helps.
Old 05 Jun 10, 06:11
Private
Poland

naltar is a balanced individual [0]
German army would have used copies of pre-war Polish (and in border areas also Czechoslovak and Hungarian) maps prepared by Reichsamt fuer Landesaufnahme, in the form of "Grossblatt", i.e. 4 small sheets put together. By September 1939 almost all of them were black & white (or brown, in some cases), this changed to colour from 1940 onwards. They also used small copies, both black and white and in colour, although all of them would have been rather hard to read, for various reasons.
There was no 50K maps until mid-1944, and pre-WW2 Polish 25K maps of the area were very, very scarce anyway, plus they were inaccessible to civilians in pre-war Poland, and Germans are very unlikely to have managed to "procure" them (even for the area of Warsaw in 1939 they still used blown-up copies of Polish 100K maps). The only exception would have been Polish 25K map variant made for tourist purposes, available in Polish bookshops in 1930s, but these sheets were few and far between, maybe 30 - 40 in total (for the whole country). They were reproduced by Germans, where possible (e.g. area near Krakow) before 1939, but the originals didn't cover the area around Przemysl and Lwow anyway. You can speculate that German would have certainly had access to old, Austro-Hungarian 25K maps printed by 1918, which had covered the whole of Galizien, but whether they used them is just my speculation. Plus, in the hilly terrain, Austrian maps were generally considered unreliable / inaccurate, and hard to read (instead of contours they used "hachure" which makes it v. hard to read in the mountains), so I doubt they would have been used.

And as to finding a map which was actually used and has hand-written entries... well, the chance is very slim. I guess the best try would be to monitor ebay.de and second-hand book shops in Germany, I would imagine that (some) soldiers at least would have taken the maps home, while on leave, if there was not a very "streng verboten!" about this. But I imagine the best combination would be one of the Grossblaetter or WIG map scans together with some first-hand (hopefully) account, memoirs, report, etc. Plus, in Germany, quite a lot of army units had some kind of journal (whatever the official name) with the trail of battles, etc. I think they sprung up in early 1950s and continued in 1960. and later.

That said I have got several maps (other areas) with such comments, and I know various map collectors have such maps, so it's impossible to find them. But whether you will now or in 53 years, in Germany or in the Library of Congress, I have no idea.

Regards,

n.
Old 05 Jun 10, 11:32
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Maps

Hello, Kiwi Red One and Naltar
Many, many thanks to both of you for taking the interest to read and comment. Truly informative and helpful.

The project I did in 1999 culminated several years of searching for accurate information, which included enlisting the help of the US Defense Attache in Warsaw to interact with the WIG there to get the maps. And the NY Public Library had two books in Polish by participants in the Army Malopolska's fight with the SS Germania/III,109thArty in the period 13-17 September.

A Polish native who is a friend did translations for me. In fact, Louis K. turned me on to the issue, with The Thousand Hour War, a novel of the 1939 campaign. I gave a short pitch with vugraphs at the Siena College World War II symposium in 2000 and at the Society for Military History's New York Military Affairs Symposium a year later.

I'm still intrigued by the events then at Mala Ozama and Sadowa Wisznia, all locales to the west of Lvov.
Thanks again.
RedDagger18
Old 09 Nov 11, 02:18
Recruit
United_States

Daemon is a balanced individual [0]
I read the first two books in this series without knowing anything about Poland or their part in WWII. It affected me enough that I read everything I could find on Poland, actually spent a year learning Polish, and I no longer tell Polish jokes.
Old 23 Mar 12, 07:40
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
A different look at the Arctic routes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Defeat-of-Enemy-Attack-on-Shipping-79.jpg (101.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 15 Apr 13, 16:35
Recruit
Russia

alexzone is a balanced individual [0]
Hi! I neeed luftwaffe maps of Juchnow region, or Mosalsk (Kalyzhskaya region).
PLIZZZZZ!!!
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!