HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 04 Feb 13, 01:15
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build SPQR Campaign 

Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Salinator has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G David Bock View Post
I'll agree with many here that this will only work (part way) if the physical standards and requirements for women are raised to the level of the males. Few 130 pound gals are able to lift or drag a wounded 200 pound male out of a fire zone and into cover.
I agree in general with what you are saying, but at the same time, how many 130 pound dudes are able to lift or drag a wounded 200 pound male out of the same situation?

BoRG

http://www.yelp.com/biz/natural-life-aquarium-south-san-francisco
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.naturallifeaquarium.com/

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg
Old 04 Feb 13, 02:43
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
There are a rare few officers in the US Army that have served at the grunt level. I knew one well at McNeese. He made it up to E-5 or so before getting out to go to college. He completed ROTC there and he got a REGULAR Infantry Commission, not a Reserve. The state of Louisiana provides free tuition for National Guardsmen at state colleges. Quite a few go for ROTC while in school. Two of my Uncles were commissioned from McNeese ROTC. One ended up at Captain after serving for years.

Some officers have been promoted from senior enlisted men and some rare ones got Combat promotions. You can apply for OCS, but I don't know how many are taken.

Second Lieutenants normally come from college or military academy. Some like the Citadel and Norwich get in as well. There is a reason these guys should NOT be given live ammunition!

Pruitt
Hi Pru: I have heard of combat commisions but have always been under the impression that they were temporary,I could be wrong though. Or it could be differant in the USA.? lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
Old 04 Feb 13, 09:32
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
There are a rare few officers in the US Army that have served at the grunt level. I knew one well at McNeese. He made it up to E-5 or so before getting out to go to college. He completed ROTC there and he got a REGULAR Infantry Commission, not a Reserve. The state of Louisiana provides free tuition for National Guardsmen at state colleges. Quite a few go for ROTC while in school. Two of my Uncles were commissioned from McNeese ROTC. One ended up at Captain after serving for years.

Some officers have been promoted from senior enlisted men and some rare ones got Combat promotions. You can apply for OCS, but I don't know how many are taken.

Second Lieutenants normally come from college or military academy. Some like the Citadel and Norwich get in as well. There is a reason these guys should NOT be given live ammunition!

Pruitt
The last time the Army issued a battlefield commission was during the Korean War.

The USMC issued 62 battlefield commissions during Vietnam. The Army issued zero.

None have been issued by any service since then.

Homer

BoRG
Old 04 Feb 13, 10:41
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Summer Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
Hi Pru: I have heard of combat commisions but have always been under the impression that they were temporary,I could be wrong though. Or it could be differant in the USA.? lcm1
They can give out Reserve Officer commissions. These are "temporary" only in they can make you go back to civilian life. Once you make officer, you are one for life, unless they take it away. You have to apply to go active. I remember a program where they offered National Guard and Reserve Captains a chance to go to Europe on active duty.

They used to refuse to allow officers that got passed over a second time for promotion to stay active. One option they had was to re-enlist as an E-3 Enlisted Man. This way the "officer" could get his twenty years of active service in and retire. Retirement benefits were based on highest active duty rank earned. This was more popular before , after WWII and the Korean War. I think they closed this loophole in the 80's.

While the Army did not make battlefield commissions in Vietnam, they could send the deserving Enlisted Man to OCS. The course lasted 90 days, hence the title "90 Day Wonder".

Pruitt

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?
Old 04 Feb 13, 14:13
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500]
Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
They can give out Reserve Officer commissions. These are "temporary" only in they can make you go back to civilian life. Once you make officer, you are one for life, unless they take it away. You have to apply to go active. I remember a program where they offered National Guard and Reserve Captains a chance to go to Europe on active duty.

They used to refuse to allow officers that got passed over a second time for promotion to stay active. One option they had was to re-enlist as an E-3 Enlisted Man. This way the "officer" could get his twenty years of active service in and retire. Retirement benefits were based on highest active duty rank earned. This was more popular before , after WWII and the Korean War. I think they closed this loophole in the 80's.

While the Army did not make battlefield commissions in Vietnam, they could send the deserving Enlisted Man to OCS. The course lasted 90 days, hence the title "90 Day Wonder".

Pruitt
You can also apply for a direct commission. In my old unit we had an E7 put in her packet and get picked up.
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Feb 13, 15:56
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Summer Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
What MOS were you in and what branch did she get a commission in, if you can remember.

Pruitt

Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?
Old 04 Feb 13, 19:50
Australia

lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700] lcm1 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:

Pruitt
Thank you Pru:, lcm1

Old 04 Feb 13, 23:52
First Sergeant
United_States

Hypaspist is on the path to success [1-99] Hypaspist is on the path to success [1-99]
Have we got to the part where we all make our point with photos yet?

photo uploader
Old 05 Feb 13, 02:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500] Naffenea is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
What MOS were you in and what branch did she get a commission in, if you can remember.

Pruitt
She was 42A, commissioned AG as a 42B. I've been told to finish my degree and put in my packet to commission as a 25A.
Old 05 Feb 13, 06:38
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800]
Massena gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinator View Post
I agree in general with what you are saying, but at the same time, how many 130 pound dudes are able to lift or drag a wounded 200 pound male out of the same situation?
I dunno-but I've seen some very able and strong 'small' Marines carrying at least 60 pounds of gear on a 10-15 mile hike outmarch bigger Marines and all of the females fall out, 130lbs or not.

I've also seen the 'bad' runners on a hike carrying the same amount of equipment outhike the unit's marathon runners...

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 05 Feb 13, 09:40
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700] Captain General is a glorious beacon of light [700]
A bit of satirical humor from the Duffle Blog:

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/02/pa...general-corps/

Homer

BoRG
Old 05 Feb 13, 16:06
General of the Forums
United_States

Haha, my last unit was AG and female dominated.
Old 06 Feb 13, 02:27
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
I dunno-but I've seen some very able and strong 'small' Marines carrying at least 60 pounds of gear on a 10-15 mile hike outmarch bigger Marines and all of the females fall out, 130lbs or not.

I've also seen the 'bad' runners on a hike carrying the same amount of equipment outhike the unit's marathon runners...

Sincerely,
M
I was described as long and lean and outstripped many of the big guys.lcm1

Old 06 Feb 13, 10:15
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena gives and gets respect [800] Massena gives and gets respect [800]
Massena gives and gets respect [800]
Long and lean is good. I'm tall and stocky and played football (US not soccer).

I've also found that many of the physical requirements, such as conditioning hikes, etc., were 'mind over matter' as they say. They hurt, but they were supposed to...

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 06 Feb 13, 20:02
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100]
TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100] TacCovert4 is a pillar of the community [1100]
It takes a bit of both types. Lean and Wiry do some jobs better, bulky and powerful do others better.

Problem is what Massena brought up last.....mind over matter. In my time in the Corps, I met a grand total of 1 female that could excel by male standards. She was a reservist. Her day job....Fireman. She could do 20 true pull-ups, and had a very respectable run time. The majority of the rest that I met on both sides of the house could hack their standards to some degree, but couldn't hack the male standards. Very often they would complain if they were made to do something where they simply had to keep up with the males.

Lt. Dan, Company XO and sometimes Armored Car commander.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!