HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 03 Feb 13, 15:42
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200]
Rome 2 Factions revealed so far:

Excited for the new Total War. Thought I would compile the factions they have released so far.

Rome (of course):
“Strength, honour, duty.”

Quote:
The strength of the Roman army lies in organisation, discipline and strict tactical doctrine. Well-drilled, well-equipped heavy infantry form the backbone of the army. The young, lightly armoured hastati man the frontlines. Behind them stand the more skilled, chainmail-clad principes. The oldest and most experienced warriors – the bronze-armoured triarii – hold the rear. These monolithic formations are supported by the Roman cavalry, or equites.

Carthage:
“Democracy, commerce, faith"

Quote:
Carthage is an expansionist trading state with a small indigenous population. As such, the bulk of its armies consist of mercenary units. The core of its land forces, however, are elite Carthaginian citizens known as the Sacred Band and mighty war elephants from the forests of North Africa. Accomplished seamen, their ships are fast and manoeuvrable, with good ramming and missile capabilities.

Macedon:
“Glory, order, power.”

Quote:
Macedon’s armies remain set on the pattern developed by Phillip II and Alexander, focusing primarily on infantry and cavalry, and led by heroic commanders. Little has changed in terms of tactics, technology or siegecraft since the glory days, with a continuation of Alexander’s hoplite reforms and reliance on the famed Companion and Thessalian cavalry. Never a strong naval power, Macedon has long relied upon its sea-faring Hellenistic subjects, such as Athens and Rhodes.

Iceni:
“Iron, conquest, pride.”

Quote:
The Iceni principally make use of infantry when at war. Equipped with large oval or sub-rectangular shields and either a sword or spear, their main distinction from the Celtic tribes of the continent is the practice of painting or tattooing their skin, combined with a greater use of slings in battle. Although light cavalry are used, the Iceni and other British tribes are famed for their highly manoeuvrable war-chariots. After harrying the enemy with javelins, warriors dismount and engage in a fashion similar to the Homeric champions.

That leaves four more major factions to be revealed. The game looks good so far.

Last edited by semperpietas; 03 Feb 13 at 15:49..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 04 Feb 13, 06:22
Brigadier General
United_States

Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200]
That's some impressive modelling. Perhaps CA's best work yet. I love the battered down look the soldiers have, like they've been in the thick and the variations between each soldier. No more clones, thank god. I do hope that there are more than 8 total factions. I hope it's that they will have 8 playable factions at first and that you can unlock the other factions. Certain mods of RTW had 20 factions and all of them playable if you wanted to. What if I don't want to play the big 8, what if I want to be the underdog sneaking up behind the big faction and stealing their glory! What if I don't want to conquer to hold but conquer to rape and pillage! I don't need cities, I just need loot!
Old 04 Feb 13, 07:36
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous is simply cracking [600]
Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600] Selous is simply cracking [600]
I'm slowly coming around to the idea of playing RTWII, even though there're no fire-arms or ironclad ships. If only to play as Barbarians and crush the jewelled crowns of civilisation beneath sandal-clad feet.

Old 04 Feb 13, 09:58
Lieutenant General
United_States

semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200] semperpietas is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frtigern View Post
That's some impressive modelling. Perhaps CA's best work yet. I love the battered down look the soldiers have, like they've been in the thick and the variations between each soldier. No more clones, thank god. I do hope that there are more than 8 total factions. I hope it's that they will have 8 playable factions at first and that you can unlock the other factions. Certain mods of RTW had 20 factions and all of them playable if you wanted to. What if I don't want to play the big 8, what if I want to be the underdog sneaking up behind the big faction and stealing their glory! What if I don't want to conquer to hold but conquer to rape and pillage! I don't need cities, I just need loot!
I think Jack Lusted said in an interview that it was decided at the beginning only eight playable factions would be present at launch, but the rosters for these factions would be greatly expanded (700 plus units total if I recall), and much more historically accurate. If not, they may make more factions playable via DLC, or some good old fashion modding will come to the rescue.
Old 04 Feb 13, 09:59
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post
I'm slowly coming around to the idea of playing RTWII, even though there're no fire-arms or ironclad ships. If only to play as Barbarians and crush the jewelled crowns of civilisation beneath sandal-clad feet.
Myself I cannot wait to play as Carthage and see if I cannot alter the outcome of the Punic Wars.
Old 04 Feb 13, 14:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] MonsterZero has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but a majority of you guys will probably need a new gaming desktop to play this game with the kind of quality you're looking for...

"Man is a military animal, glories in gunpowder, and loves parade."
--P. J. Bailey, British poet
Old 04 Feb 13, 16:56
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZero View Post
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but a majority of you guys will probably need a new gaming desktop to play this game with the kind of quality you're looking for...

My digital storms is only a year old (GTX 560 Graphics card), so I can imagine running this on medium settings. It also depends on the amount of optimization they put into it (according to one dev diary they want the same required settings as Shogun 2).
Old 04 Feb 13, 17:56
Brigadier General
United_States

Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200] Frtigern is walking in the light [200]
I will play it on low settings and it will still look better than RTW in its highest settings.
Old 04 Feb 13, 22:53
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon SPQR Campaign 

ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99] ForIAmSparticus is on the path to success [1-99]
Anyone want to play some RTW online?
Old 08 Feb 13, 10:16
Lieutenant General
United_States

And just announced today:

The Averni:
“Belief, dignity, power.”

Quote:
Heavily dependent on infantry, the Arverni make great use of javelins and the devastating impact of the charge, led by elite warriors such as Spear Nobles and Oathsworn. It is by fighting this way that leaders have earned their places: as champions, proving themselves in conflict.

Old 17 Feb 13, 22:10
Lieutenant General
United_States

Next up:

The Suebi Tribe:
“Blood, Nobility, Courage.”

Quote:
Heavily reliant on infantry and ambush tactics, raiding is their predominant form of conflict. Lightly equipped, most Suebi warriors make use of the framea, a javelin-like spear, as swords are a rarity. Often unarmoured they carried their rounded, oval or long, hexagonal shields into battle and wore little more than simple cloaks or other garments at times.
Old 18 Feb 13, 15:13
Corporal
United_States

Bowcaster is on the path to success [1-99] Bowcaster is on the path to success [1-99]
I can't wait to here what eastern civilizations are player controllable.
Old 28 Feb 13, 10:03
Lieutenant General
United_States

New Rome Trailer featuring the battle of Tuetoburg Forest:

Old 01 Mar 13, 22:25
Private
UK

Joelph is a balanced individual [0]
It really does look like they are properly representing the "barbarian" factions right this time.

i put it in quotes cause i prefer refering to them as their cultural name, be it scythian, celtic, iberian, germanic. etc
Old 03 Mar 13, 10:25
Brigadier General
United_States
Model Forum Group Build 

Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelph View Post
It really does look like they are properly representing the "barbarian" factions right this time.

i put it in quotes cause i prefer refering to them as their cultural name, be it scythian, celtic, iberian, germanic. etc
Back then barbarian meant anyone who was not as advanced as the Romans for example. So it is okay and not derogatory.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!